Skip to content

Play Offs - As Things Stand

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    When was the last time h2h decided a position of significance? I'd have to get another flag done.

Still, it would give Alan Swann something else to use to support his claim(s) that we cheated our way up.

• Some big games tonight. Are we cheering Sunderland to keep MK interested or Rotherham to give a chance of overhauling Sunderland?

• Surely MK so that we can more easily overtake Sunderland on Saturday?

• I think a 0-0 draw Sunderland v Rotherham is the best we can hope for (either that or a 4-0 win for Rotherham which isn’t going to happen). That would mean MK have an interest against Plymouth and mean Sunderland would have to win on final day (IF we win) to stay above us.

For Sheffield Wednesday, I think asking for a Fleetwood win might be too much to ask, but if they could somehow nick a point it’ll be down to GD on the last day. We are 1 behind Wednesday and 2 behind Plymouth but have scored more than both so it’s not outside the realms of extreme possibility to overhaul that even if they win.

• A draw for Wednesday and loss for Sunderland tonight leaves all four teams on 80 points going into the final day of the season...

• I think we'd rather keep MK interested; far more likely that we'll be able to overtake Plymouth rather than a Sunderland who will be playing Morecambe on Saturday

• @Quarterman said:
    I think a 0-0 draw Sunderland v Rotherham is the best we can hope for (either that or a 4-0 win for Rotherham which isn’t going to happen). That would mean MK have an interest against Plymouth and mean Sunderland would have to win on final day (IF we win) to stay above us.

Do you really think MK wouldn't be motivated to beat a play off rival on the final game of the season just because they can't get automatic promotion?!

• Agree that a draw tonight at Rotherham is probably the best result, unless Rotherham can win 3-0 (or more). I also think Morecambe away could be a ripe old banana skin for Sunderland on Saturday - they seem to have troubled a lot of the top teams this season.

The key match tonight for us though tonight is definitely at Fleetwood. If they can somehow win it would be an absolute dream result for us.

• edited April 2022

@Quarterman said:
    I think a 0-0 draw Sunderland v Rotherham is the best we can hope for (either that or a 4-0 win for Rotherham which isn’t going to happen). That would mean MK have an interest against Plymouth and mean Sunderland would have to win on final day (IF we win) to stay above us.

Do you really think MK wouldn't be motivated to beat a play off rival on the final game of the season just because they can't get automatic promotion?!

They'd rest key players, surely?

• I don't see it. Why give a play off rival a boost, just before possibly facing them again in the semi finals?? I'd be furious if Wycombe did that.

• It’s not about giving them an easy ride. It’s just psychology. If we win today we’ll finish 3rd, if we lose we’ll finish 3rd. The other team have everything to play for still. If you’re off just 10% it does make a difference.

Anyway, I guess we’ll see later on where things stand!

• edited April 2022

@FmG said:

@Quarterman said:

I'm sure they'd like to win, but there's a huge difference between liking to win and needing to win.
    It'd be quite surprising if they didn't take the opportunity to rest a few players.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Agree that a draw tonight at Rotherham is probably the best result, unless Rotherham can win 3-0 (or more). I also think Morecambe away could be a ripe old banana skin for Sunderland on Saturday - they seem to have troubled a lot of the top teams this season.

The key match tonight for us though tonight is definitely at Fleetwood. If they can somehow win it would be an absolute dream result for us.

A huge game, and almost tempting to bang a tenner in and watch it.
    Though the idea of wazzing money away to watch SW win would be rubbish,.

• @FmG said:
    I don't see it. Why give a play off rival a boost, just before possibly facing them again in the semi finals?? I'd be furious if Wycombe did that.

You'd be more annoyed if we didn't and Vokes and McCleary got injured

• I understand the point, and maybe resting a couple of players is no bad thing as the replacements will be wanting to show what they can do to give themselves a chance of playing at Wembley.

What I don't agree with is the notion that a team would be any less motivated or focused or that the game wouldn't really matter to MK. There is a lot said about the beenfits of winning mentality and momentum so I don't see that any professional player/manager/team would go into a game less likely to win when there is so much psychological benefit to beating a rival.

If MK beat Plymouth there is a good chance they'll play each other in the semi final. If MK go into those games having just beaten Plymouth in front of a sell out crowd then that could be a huge advantage going into the play offs.

• I can’t believe anyone can still envisage a lack of motivation from an EFL side after what Mansfield did to Rovers.

• edited April 2022

I guess the reality is, whatever happens tonight doesn’t change much on Saturday. We still need to win at Burton and we should still try and do so by scoring as many goals as we can.

• Edit: I should add, ‘whilst keeping up them out the other end’. We don’t want another 5-5!

I want us to make the play-offs so badly but whatever happens, I’m sure we will all be proud of the team for what has been an enjoyable season in one of the tightest league campaigns for a long time.

• Imagine if we lose on Saturday and still get in

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I can’t believe anyone can still envisage a lack of motivation from an EFL side after what Mansfield did to Rovers.

How fitting. Happy 8th anniversary of Rovers fans storming our pitch to celebrate their survival everyone!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I can’t believe anyone can still envisage a lack of motivation from an EFL side after what Mansfield did to Rovers.

Colin Daniel is our mate

• @WanderingDays said:

@LeedsBlue said:

Colin Daniel is our mate

That's *Sir Colin Daniel to you!

• @LeedsBlue said:

We're comparing top to bottom of the league though. Rovers may have been well motivated that day, but they were still a shocking outfit.
    We were fairly fortunate to be playing the crappest team in the league the last day, as all the "wanting it" in the world may not have been enough against top half teams.

• I think it’ll come down to us and Plymouth for sixth, so I’m that sense it would be better for Sunderland to win tonight. Of course, a Fleetwood win would change all that.

• @floyd said:
    I think it’ll come down to us and Plymouth for sixth, so I’m that sense it would be better for Sunderland to win tonight. Of course, a Fleetwood win would change all that.

Sheff Wed losing and a win guaranteeing us play-offs almost sounds "too" easy doesn't it for Wycombe.
    It'll be much more our style to need to overcome a couple of hurdles and things going against us first.

• Based on recent history, I’d like to see MK make the second automatic spot. Sunderland aside, we’ve done ok this season against the other playoff contenders I think but that’s based on memory and I could well be losing the plot!

• The away game v MK was skewed by that appalling decision to send Stewart off as well as giving a pen.

But yes, Sunderland over 2 games isn't something we want either.

• There's a very big part of me that, however much it might help us, couldn't abide to see Franchise promoted.

• At least you’d probably have the pleasure of seeing them relegated at the end of the season. It happens on a regular basis to aspirational small clubs in their first season in the Championship!

• Good teams don't fear anyone

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    There's a very big part of me that, however much it might help us, couldn't abide to see Franchise promoted.

Yes - I don't want franchise in the Championship. I think beating them over two legs is well possible.

I think it is true is Morecambe will need a point on the last day to be certain of not being overtaken by both of Fleetwood [away to Bolton] and Gillingham [home to Rotherham].

If Rotherham win tonight, Sunderland might not have it all their own way at Morecambe on Saturday.