Skip to content

Play Offs - As Things Stand

Comments

• I'll go out on a limb and say I think Plymouth will beat Sunderland tomorrow. Plymouth need and will surely give a reaction to Friday. Sunderland have a very useful habit of winning games at the death even when performances haven't been good. I could see them coming unstuck tomorrow at a packed Home Park however.

We need to try and take advantage of whoever drops points though. I do worry about us at Wimbledon, we always struggle to impose ourselves on them. For me, it's the game I'm least confident about of the 3 we have remaining.

• edited April 2022

Wimbledon seem to have the knack of weasling out of tight relegation battles. And that record haven't won for a million or so games is dangerous isn't it.

However , it's time to end the Wimbledon away hoodoo, see them down, and make it a big end of season for us.

• Bogey team is such a nonsense concept unless the team has kept the same manager over a long period

• That'd be a bogey manager surely?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Bogey team is such a nonsense concept unless the team has kept the same manager over a long period

And the same players! It’s one of those silly little cliches that makes no sense at all.

• @Malone said:
    That'd be a bogey manager surely?

There's only one bogey manager and his name is Jogi Löw

• edited April 2022

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Bogey team is such a nonsense concept unless the team has kept the same manager over a long period

And the same players! It’s one of those silly little cliches that makes no sense at all.

People used to make a big thing of Villa going so long without beating Man United - and I think it was one of the longer winless runs, but how many teams actually had a good record v United during the Fergie years...? There's usually a perfectly logical explanation!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

We’ve played them six times away since they were promoted back in to the Top 4 Leagues and we’ve not won one. Four losses and 2 draws.

In six games at home we’ve picked up four points in six games. So 6 points out of a possible 36 in 12 games.

They are definitely a bogey team, much like we are to Plymouth

• @wwfcblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

We’ve played them six times away since they were promoted back in to the Top 4 Leagues and we’ve not won one. Four losses and 2 draws.

In six games at home we’ve picked up four points in six games. So 6 points out of a possible 36 in 12 games.

They are definitely a bogey team, much like we are to Plymouth

Exactly. They're very much a bogey team, but these things do change, and hopefully tomorrow is the day.

And yes, applying bogey team when it's a crap team against a giant doesn't make sense, but that's something different to our situation tomorrow.

• It's totally understandable why people subscribe to the bogey team theory - it's human nature to look for reasons when something goes wrong - but there's no logic to it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's totally understandable why people subscribe to the bogey team theory - it's human nature to look for reasons when something goes wrong - but there's no logic to it.

I don’t think Malone or I are looking for a reason. We don’t need too, it’s as clear as day in the stats.

• edited April 2022

Psychology can play a part surely. If you keep being told or saying to yourself that so and so club are your bogey club you'll soon believe it and play with more fear.

• @wwfcblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    It's totally understandable why people subscribe to the bogey team theory - it's human nature to look for reasons when something goes wrong - but there's no logic to it.

I don’t think Malone or I are looking for a reason. We don’t need too, it’s as clear as day in the stats.

Yep.
    Can't see how tomorrow isn't an irrefutable must win against a bogey team :D

• @YorkshireBlue said:
    Psychology can play a part surely. If you keep being told or saying to yourself that so and so club are your bogey club you'll soon believe it and play with more fear.

Fair point. Let's keep this chat down a bit in case any of the players are reading.

• @YorkshireBlue said:

Plymouth believe this with us. Reading the Plymouth forum they even had fans not watching on iFollow because they knew they would lose.

We will beat Wimbledon tomorrow and cement our claim for the playoffs.

• @YorkshireBlue said:

Again, pretty irrelevant unless your team remains mostly the same for years and years on end

• We've got nothing to fear tomorrow. They're not a very good team; we are. We should win.

• Must win game against bogey team on a bank holiday to literally try and cement our place in the play-offs? Got to be worth ten quid.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    We've got nothing to fear tomorrow. They're not a very good team; we are. We should win.

Like we should have won at Gillingham.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Must win game against bogey team on a bank holiday to literally try and cement our place in the play-offs? Got to be worth ten quid.

Are you Devvvv in disguise...get to the game son :)

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    We've got nothing to fear tomorrow. They're not a very good team; we are. We should win.

Yeah, hence I didn't say 'will'

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Yeah, hence I didn't say 'will'

Too late, you've said we should win, and if we don't it's all your fault basically.

@Wendoverman is probably already dipping into his satire generator as we speak.
    Proofread by @micra.

• To be fair, Gillingham have been a different kettle of fish since Neil Harris stepped in. Me AFC mate cannot understand why Wimbledon have stuck with their manager. To be honest, I can’t even name him. A N Other perhaps? Certainly anonymous.

• @micra said:
    To be fair, Gillingham have been a different kettle of fish since Neil Harris stepped in. Me AFC mate cannot understand why Wimbledon have stuck with their manager. To be honest, I can’t even name him. A N Other perhaps? Certainly anonymous.

Mark Bowen - they only appointed him the other week!

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Must win game against bogey team on a bank holiday to literally try and cement our place in the play-offs? Got to be worth ten quid.

I don't travel well @Malone I shall be online with the rest of the part-time plastic gloryhunters.

• edited April 2022

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

I don't travel well @Malone I shall be online with the rest of the part-time plastic gloryhunters.

At least you'll miss all the usual seat-related aggro. I'm dreading it.

• edited April 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

I'm hoping that even the dimmest fan understands that when it's the once a season away game sell out you have to sit in your actual seat or it's carnage :D

That and the polite email from the club in midweek saying so to.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

Never had seat aggro on my rare away trips but I have been unlucky enough to have seen and heard some unnecessary unpleasantness which does put me off. I get enough of that at home Boom! Boom! (Yes, I do know other people have a great time...I think I'm just unlucky with my away day neighbours or less tolerant than I used to be .)

• edited April 2022

@Wendoverman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

Never had seat aggro on my rare away trips but I have been unlucky enough to have seen and heard some unnecessary unpleasantness which does put me off. I get enough of that at home Boom! Boom! (Yes, I do know other people have a great time...I think I'm just unlucky with my away day neighbours or less tolerant than I used to be .)

The problem in these once a year sell outs is more about some fans wanting to stand, when their seat is quite low/mid way down a block, blocking the view of oldies/kids and those who not unreasonably expect to be able to sit in their seat and see the action.

I'm hoping the fact you could actually select your exact seat for this one should counter act this problem a bit tomorrow.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

I'm hoping that even the dimmest fan understands that when it's the once a season away game sell out you have to sit in your actual seat or it's carnage :D

That and the polite email from the club in midweek saying so to.

It'll absolutely be carnage - and the fault of the 'day-trippers', no doubt...