Skip to content

Play Offs - As Things Stand

Comments

• Best wishes @EwanHoosaami. I hadn’t realised the wait had been so long. You’ll be there now and happily amongst family and friends. Possible I might see you next Saturday.

• Best wishes to you and yours today @EwanHoosaami.

I will think of you and give a extra shout for you today and if we sing "Light Dark Blue Army" today I will amend the words to your Gasroom name.

• @railwaysteve said:
    Best wishes to you and yours today @EwanHoosaami.

I will think of you and give a extra shout for you today and if we sing "Light Dark Blue Army" today I will amend the words to your Gasroom name.

That’s brilliant @railwaysteve !

• All together now……

• Hope the day goes as well as possible @EwanHoosaami

• All the best @EwanHoosaami

• we will lose the below if we don't go up, without these players we are a mid table league 1 side ;

Stewart
    Taf
    Gmac
    Horgan
    VOKES
    Grimmer?
    Wing
    obita ?

oh my !

• All my very best wishes @EwanHoosaami

• edited April 2022

@Wanderers82 said:
    we will lose the below if we don't go up, without these players we are a mid table league 1 side ;

Stewart
    Taf
    Gmac
    Horgan
    VOKES
    Grimmer?
    Wing
    obita ?

oh my !

I don't think we'll lose any of those that we wish to keep.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a mutual parting of the ways with Horgan though.

• 05.30 here in County Limerick, Eire and I can’t sleep anymore, been awake since 04.00.
    I tuned in at 15.00 yesterday to listen to the commentary whilst I was at the hotel. Left to drive out to the “sticks” at half time, but carried on listening on my mobile until we arrived at one of my aunts houses on 70 minutes when we lost the signal, (that’s how rural it is where my mum came from!), but in my mind, we were never going to score anyway. So delighted to find out that the big man himself scored the equaliser. All not yet lost but I fear that the fat lady is warming her tonsils up.
    As for burying my mums ashes all went as well as could be hoped for. I never knew how many cousins I had until we were back in the bar to toast her life. They were coming from everywhere!
    Wanted to say thanks to you all for the kind messages of support & good wishes, it really does help. We fly back on Friday night strangely enough just in time for the Wednesday game! ?. See you all Saturday and once again, thanks very much.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    we will lose the below if we don't go up, without these players we are a mid table league 1 side ;

Stewart
    Taf
    Gmac
    Horgan
    VOKES
    Grimmer?
    Wing
    obita ?

oh my !

I don’t think Stewart will have a queue of championship options. Depending on his wage demands he will stay
    Tafazoli might go. He’s probably too good for this league and Forino is capable of filling his boots
    Horgan - I like him. His effort is undeniable. He does not deliver for the reported wage. He can go. We have options in that position already.
    Gmac wont go. File under playing for love and being loved
    Vokes. Bit of the above. Also depends on the contract option. It might be ours to exercise.
    Grimmer will stay
    Obita will stay. JJ will be the jr partner in that position next season

We will be fine.

• Hi guys, I'm actually a Wasps supporter, but thought I should pop in to wish WWFC all the best for the next two 'must win' games against Sheffield Wednesday and Burton Albion.

I used to attend Adams Park regularly when we played there, and have fond memories of the ground. I've also been along for some football matches, and you have a great club with a great set of fans. I watched the playoff final against Oxford a couple of seasons ago, what a night that was.

Question: Is Adebayo Akinfenwa playing the right sport? Looks like he could give our tight-head prop a run for his money:

[https://wasps.co.uk/media/9066/biyi-alo.jpeg?mode=max&width=1500&upscale=false&rnd=132902658540000000]

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Wanderers82 said:

Stewart
    Taf
    Gmac
    Horgan
    VOKES
    Grimmer?
    Wing
    obita ?

oh my !

I don’t think Stewart will have a queue of championship options. Depending on his wage demands he will stay
    Tafazoli might go. He’s probably too good for this league and Forino is capable of filling his boots
    Horgan - I like him. His effort is undeniable. He does not deliver for the reported wage. He can go. We have options in that position already.
    Gmac wont go. File under playing for love and being loved
    Vokes. Bit of the above. Also depends on the contract option. It might be ours to exercise.
    Grimmer will stay
    Obita will stay. JJ will be the jr partner in that position next season

We will be fine.

Agree with all that, excepting I think Grimmer at his age may want to move on to play more regularly. Horgan just doesn't seem a good fit for our style of play and constantly flatters to deceive.

• Tafa is contracted for another year.

So is Gmac.

Both likely stay. Wouldn't be surprised if someone pinched Tafa for a low fee (£50-200k). McCleary is pretty nailed on for staying in my opinion.

Stewart is out of contract and is probably 50/50 stay/go.

Vokes we supposedly have the extension clause but his body language has been markedly different since Gillingham away. He was visibly furious at coming off. Much less clapping of the fans from him than usual ever since and a very dejected look on his face at times.

Grimmer we have another year of and we haven't seen the best of him this season. Can't imagine he'd have many suitors willing to pay him more money than we do after this season - very likely he stays.

I would assume Horgan will go unless he accepts a salary cut. 80% likely he goes in my opinion. Poor season for him given his probable salary in comparison to others.

Wing will likely go unless we make the Championship - he's too good for us and would require 3+ year deal and wages that break the structure.

Obita will stay. JJ will stay for one more year in a reduced role.

Bayo will go.

Interesting summer ahead as always.

• Ah, the old 'didn't clap the fans vigorously enough or smile enough while enthusiastically frotting Ainsworth, must be off' observation.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Ah, the old 'didn't clap the fans vigorously enough or smile enough while enthusiastically frotting Ainsworth, must be off' observation.

Yes, it’s quite incredible how people make such definitive statements and predictions despite having little or no knowledge of the actual facts.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Ah, the old 'didn't clap the fans vigorously enough or smile enough while enthusiastically frotting Ainsworth, must be off' observation.

@glasshalffull said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

Yes, it’s quite incredible how people make such definitive statements and predictions despite having little or no knowledge of the actual facts.

Did I make any definitive statements about Vokes' future? Think you need to research the words you think you know the meaning of before you actually use them, you condescending brat.

• edited April 2022

I think if MK or Oxford go up there's a chance they might take Vokes with them - he's settled locally which helps, played well against both of them and will probably relish another chance in the Championship.

I suspect we'll probably lose Horgan on a mutual decision, especially if we keep Vokes, as we'll need to cut the wage bill without parachute payments. Hard to see where he'll end up though. It may be that we offer him a contract on a much lower salary and he ends up signing up at the end of the window if he doesn't get a better deal elsewhere.

• edited April 2022

Hogan's out of contract, easy to offload if we decide we want to

• @frequentstander said:
    Tafa is contracted for another year.

So is Gmac.

Both likely stay. Wouldn't be surprised if someone pinched Tafa for a low fee (£50-200k). McCleary is pretty nailed on for staying in my opinion.

Vokes we supposedly have the extension clause but his body language has been markedly different since Gillingham away. He was visibly furious at coming off. Much less clapping of the fans from him than usual ever since and a very dejected look on his face at times.

Grimmer we have another year of and we haven't seen the best of him this season. Can't imagine he'd have many suitors willing to pay him more money than we do after this season - very likely he stays.

I would assume Horgan will go unless he accepts a salary cut. 80% likely he goes in my opinion. Poor season for him given his probable salary in comparison to others.

Wing will likely go unless we make the Championship - he's too good for us and would require 3+ year deal and wages that break the structure.

Bayo will go.

I love the absolute certainty you put on the very precise details on players such as Wing.

• edited April 2022

@frequentstander said:

@glasshalffull said:

Did I make any definitive statements about Vokes' future? Think you need to research the words you think you know the meaning of before you actually use them, you condescending brat.

I think your definition of "visibly furious" is a little off.
    Unless you were absolutely seethingly incandescent with rage when you typed the above.
    Maybe your scale is a little skewed ;)

• What amazes me is that it was @Wanderers82 woken from his long slumber by the delightful sight of us losing, and fresh from his 'Ainsworth makes terrible subs' post (not long before said subs conspired to score the equaliser and almost won it!) and who seems to hate everyone and everything about the club started this discussion about who we would be losing when we fail to make the play-offs. Which though possible has not actually happened yet. If I have learned anything from the last nine years as a season ticket holder it includes...don't leave before the end...and we aren't finished until we are finished however doomed we look.

• @frequentstander Vokes was off earlier in the season as he looked unhappy/disinterested....oh he's scored about six goals since then. Him and Tafs and that Anis with their long faces, never celebrating, body language...they'll all be sharing a taxi.

• @Malone said:

@frequentstander said:

So is Gmac.

Bayo will go.

I love the absolute certainty you put on the very precise details on players such as Wing.

Why do you think he's only on a 6 month contract then? He's played three full seasons in the Championship and he's still only 26. All three clubs preceding us (Mboro, Rotherham, Sheff Wed) are more financially appetising options, as well as bigger/better football clubs. He's likely come to Wycombe to get back on the pitch and play for his next move. He will have been on >£5k per week in his previous contracts. That's not a wage we can commit to on a long term (3+ year) basis. Those aren't things I can say with certainty but reasonable evaluation would suggest all of the above is highly likely.

You can say 'why wasn't he starting for Sheff Wed then' but Bannan is probably the best midfielder in the league and Byers isn't far behind. Then you've got Luongo who has 43 caps for Australia... You can see why Wing didn't get minutes. It's not because of a lack of ability. It's because Sheff Wed have the best central midfield depth in the league by a long way.

I'm not just throwing out statements to wind people up. If you evaluate the situations with adequate knowledge you'll come to the same conclusion.

• @frequentstander said:

@Malone said:

@frequentstander said:

So is Gmac.

Bayo will go.

Why do you think he's only on a 6 month contract then? He's played three full seasons in the Championship and he's still only 26. All three clubs preceding us (Mboro, Rotherham, Sheff Wed) are more financially appetising options, as well as bigger/better football clubs. He's likely come to Wycombe to get back on the pitch and play for his next move. He will have been on >£5k per week in his previous contracts. That's not a wage we can commit to on a long term (3+ year) basis. Those aren't things I can say with certainty but reasonable evaluation would suggest all of the above is highly likely.

You can say 'why wasn't he starting for Sheff Wed then' but Bannan is probably the best midfielder in the league and Byers isn't far behind. Then you've got Luongo who has 43 caps for Australia... You can see why Wing didn't get minutes. It's not because of a lack of ability. It's because Sheff Wed have the best central midfield depth in the league by a long way.

I'm not just throwing out statements to wind people up. If you evaluate the situations with adequate knowledge you'll come to the same conclusion.

You could just as easily say why were we the only club after him for this 6 month spell?

We'll see if we want to keep him first, and two - who else wants him. Like with most players it'll be a case of what's the best offer, and we may well prove to be that still.

• It’s amazing how some who say they support the club value it so little when it comes to players staying or coming in. Time and time again Ainsworth has bought in players we wouldn’t be able to in this Football Manager style analysis. Maybe they have eyes on the training ground or the ear of the man down the pub who knows everything.

Some footballers value others things over money. Those that thrive at Wycombe often have that within their character. I’ve given up guessing who Ainsworth gets in to the squad and I think we’ll do ok.

• League table calculator here for anyone who wants to go crazy with the play-off permutations... https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-league-one/

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    League table calculator here for anyone who wants to go crazy with the play-off permutations... https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-league-one/

I was just thinking that something like this would be great. Although I think I will drive myself crazy with it.

• Opened this thread at 1040 after a long day, saw, ‘I reckon Vokes will go to MK or Oxford,’ and decided that was enough Gasroom for me.