Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Away Leg

Comments

• What about the bloke in a gold Arsenal vest?

• Has anyone got a link to the Bayo interview?

• "Sports Casual Milk Tray man"! You've still got that gift that made The Adams Family so good.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    What about the bloke in a gold Arsenal vest?

Didn't spot him (thankfully).

• That moment on the pitch at the end was something to savour for a long time, the team definitely all knew about the ticket fiasco with MK and seemed to make an even bigger effort to reward the fans at the end with their appreciation.

But god, that was torture to watch. MK really dominated us and to a certain extent I think we were happy to let them do that, confident in our defensive abilities to keep it to a single goal, but we’ll need a different game plan in the final.

I think defensively we’re looking solid as ever, but going forward we’re really missing Mehmeti and Hanlan. I think unfortunately it’s unlikely that we see either of them in the final. I know he scored the winner against both SWeds and Burton, but I think Kaikai for Obita might give us a bit more attacking energy up front. Obita is excellent in that position as he can help to cover JJ, but I think in the final we’ll need to commit a few more men forwards to prevent Sunderland / SWeds from just copying the pasting MK’s effective game plan last night.

• Did anyone else have an incredibly bad night's sleep last night?

• @drcongo said:
    Did anyone else have an incredibly bad night's sleep last night?

Yes, and pretending to concentrate on work is really hard this morning

• @drcongo said:
    Did anyone else have an incredibly bad night's sleep last night?

yeah, my alcohol consumption rate increased as the 2nd half progressed, which I don't think helped

• I was sober, I thought maybe that's where I went wrong.

• @Last_Quarter said:

@eric_plant said:
    That tackle from JJ is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen

Anyone got a clip? It's not on the highlights. Watching it live I had absolutely no idea where he came from to get there!

• @Jonny said:
    That moment on the pitch at the end was something to savour for a long time, the team definitely all knew about the ticket fiasco with MK and seemed to make an even bigger effort to reward the fans at the end with their appreciation.

But god, that was torture to watch. MK really dominated us and to a certain extent I think we were happy to let them do that, confident in our defensive abilities to keep it to a single goal, but we’ll need a different game plan in the final.

I think defensively we’re looking solid as ever, but going forward we’re really missing Mehmeti and Hanlan. I think unfortunately it’s unlikely that we see either of them in the final. I know he scored the winner against both SWeds and Burton, but I think Kaikai for Obita might give us a bit more attacking energy up front. Obita is excellent in that position as he can help to cover JJ, but I think in the final we’ll need to commit a few more men forwards to prevent Sunderland / SWeds from just copying the pasting MK’s effective game plan last night.

Why would you drop Obita? He offers an attacking threat eg scored the winners against Sheff Wed and Burton. That and the defensive support forJJ means I'd be amazed if he didn't start.

• There is no way we’ll drop Obita. He is crucial to JJ’s game and an archetypal Ainsworth player.

• edited May 2022

The only change I can potentially see is Wheeler starting over Horgan myself, but I wouldn’t be adverse to KaiKai starting there

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    What the fuck is Scowen doing? Moron.

You should be ashamed of yourself for making that comment.

• Morning all
    I have never enjoyed a game less. After 30 seconds I was reaching for a brown paper bag to calm a panic attack when the ball bounced off the cross bar. I find it beautifully ironic that Gareth and his team always says 'never too high, never too low' - try watching it mate. I was as low as could be and as high as could be yesterday. If the players are tired today I would suggest the fans exhaustion eclipses that.

I cannot be prouder today of my club. As we left last night (long after quite a few others) the noise from the remaining fans flowing out into the car park was still massive. What it must have sounded like to the franchise fans as they left must have been the final sickening blow to their stinkfest.

Can you ever imagine following a club that regularly is 3-0 up with 10 minutes to go? How dull must that be?

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Did you see how close he came to giving away a penalty with a stupid tackle? Quite within my rights to react like that at the time.

• I needed a wee in the 85th minute so bad. But if I went and we let a goal in then I’m sure it would have all been my fault. I was besides myself. How on earth I stayed at my seat another 20 mins after the game I’ll never know!

• @drcongo said:
    I was sober, I thought maybe that's where I went wrong.

Fair play, glad I didn't have to do that

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Did you see how close he came to giving away a penalty with a stupid tackle? Quite within my rights to react like that at the time.

I really don’t want to spoil the mood after such a great night and I enjoy most of your posts, but I why rush to your keyboard during a game as that inevitably leads to making rash comments? You admitted to being wrong about Stocko’s part in the goal and you should admit you were wrong to call Josh, our probable player of the season, a moron.
    Every player makes mistakes, he makes fewer than most.

• Must admit I thought it was unnecessary to add moron @ReturnToSenda . I'll put it down to high emotions.

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I really don’t want to spoil the mood after such a great night and I enjoy most of your posts, but I why rush to your keyboard during a game as that inevitably leads to making rash comments? You admitted to being wrong about Stocko’s part in the goal and you should admit you were wrong to call Josh, our probable player of the season, a moron.

Just stop trying to police fan emotion and enjoy the win

• edited May 2022

@Wendoverman said:
    Must admit I thought it was unnecessary to add moron @ReturnToSenda . I'll put it down to high emotions.

Exactly - we've all done it. We've all been morons at one point or another as well!

• Hanlan isn't wearing a boot in the celebrations last night. He's even 'bouncing around,' a little bit. I'm a bit giddy this morning, obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if he and Mehmeti are ready to go for the final.

• Any chance you can make it over mate?

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

On the subject of the flawless Josh Scowen I did notice him sitting on his own for a large part of the celebration. Exhausted? Taking it in? Drained? Reflecting on the sh1t abuse he had last season and planning revenge? There’s no doubt our season would have been over by now had it not been for Josh.

• (Just in case it was in any doubt, I bloody love Josh Scowen)

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    (Just in case it was in any doubt, I bloody love Josh Scowen)

I wasn’t trying to police your emotions, just disappointed that you used the word moron about a player who gives his all for our club in every game he plays. Anyway, don’t want to fall out or spoil the mood after such a memorable night. I was proud to be a Wycombe fan last night and privileged to join the players as they celebrated. They’re a wonderful bunch of lads, not one bad egg amongst them.

• edited May 2022

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    (Just in case it was in any doubt, I bloody love Josh Scowen)

I wasn’t trying to police your emotions, just disappointed that you used the word moron about a player who gives his all for our club in every game he plays. Anyway, don’t want to fall out or spoil the mood after such a memorable night. I was proud to be a Wycombe fan last night and privileged to join the players as they celebrated. They’re a wonderful bunch of lads, not one bad egg amongst them.

It was a heat of the moment thing - that's all! A description of the act rather than the person. Like I say, we've all done it in some context.

• For about the ten-thousandth time, let me be the first to say what an outstanding player Joe Jacobson has been for us. I'm so pleased that we saw the game out after "that block" on Parrott. JJ, for me, plays with the perfect battle-hardened mentality, and I'm always impressed with his ability to wind up opposition players so effectively. His perfectly timed tackle on Connor Wickham was one for the Jason Cousin files.

Like the rest of the back five, JJ looked assured all evening, and I have no doubt they truly believe the "We can do this all day!" slogan. He goes into the absolute legend category after last night, although, in truth, he had a seat on that table a considerable amount of time ago.

Whilst this opinion may not be popular and would contradict how Gaz has made selections this season, I have no hesitation in saying that changes should be made for the final. Hogan had another nightmare last night on the ball, and when Wheeler replaced him, we retained possession far better. I'd also give Grimmer and Wing the nod over McCarthy and Gape. Whilst this is particularly harsh on Gape, our ball retention was terrible yesterday, and if we are to win again at Wembley, we need to improve.

Another memorable moment for Gaz and Dobbo, oh I wish they could live forever.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    For about the ten-thousandth time, let me be the first to say what an outstanding player Joe Jacobson has been for us. I'm so pleased that we saw the game out after "that block" on Parrott. JJ, for me, plays with the perfect battle-hardened mentality, and I'm always impressed with his ability to wind up opposition players so effectively. His perfectly timed tackle on Connor Wickham was one for the Jason Cousin files.

Like the rest of the back five, JJ looked assured all evening, and I have no doubt they truly believe the "We can do this all day!" slogan. He goes into the absolute legend category after last night, although, in truth, he had a seat on that table a considerable amount of time ago.

Whilst this opinion may not be popular and would contradict how Gaz has made selections this season, I have no hesitation in saying that changes should be made for the final. Hogan had another nightmare last night on the ball, and when Wheeler replaced him, we retained possession far better. I'd also give Grimmer and Wing the nod over McCarthy and Gape. Whilst this is particularly harsh on Gape, our ball retention was terrible yesterday, and if we are to win again at Wembley, we need to improve.

Another memorable moment for Gaz and Dobbo, oh I wish they could live forever.

Agree with this. Yesterday's tactics were ultimately successful for holding onto a 2-0 aggregate lead, but if we are going to challenge for a win on the big Wembley pitch it can't be a repeat performance.