Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Away Leg

Comments

• Talking of JJ, there was a lovely moment caught by the cameras just as he was about to take a corner when someone in the MK crowd called him something, and he pointed at his chest and said "who me?", then pointed at the lino and said "him?". Even in the stress of a match like that, he's still laughing and joking around with the fans giving him abuse. Everyone should be a bit more JJ. I certainly wish I was.

• Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the Wembley pitch? All this talk of how big it is, but it can't be that big.

• I absolutely love JJ. One of my all time favourite players.

That is all.

• This 'moron' business - it looked bad in print, would probably have been ignored on the terrace, but best swept under the carpet in terms of a discussion point, as we are all cheering the same team... :-)

(Referee's lecture over. No cards produced)

@Glasshalffull - silly question I suppose, but how did it feel to be on the pitch looking up at the fans and soaking up the atmosphere? Compared, say, to Filbert Street, for example?

• @ReturnToSenda According to Wikipedia, Wembley pitch is 105m X 69m. It's one of the bigger ones tho from the figures I've found Sunderland's is virtually identical.
    Man City is a yard longer and a yard wider.

• edited May 2022

I'm old enough to remember when Oxford were going to murder us on "that big Wembley pitch"

• @drcongo said:
    Talking of JJ, there was a lovely moment caught by the cameras just as he was about to take a corner when someone in the MK crowd called him something, and he pointed at his chest and said "who me?", then pointed at the lino and said "him?". Even in the stress of a match like that, he's still laughing and joking around with the fans giving him abuse. Everyone should be a bit more JJ. I certainly wish I was.

Yes I saw that too and thought exactly the same as you @drcongo. Pure class. Just like the rest of the Wycombe Squad/Management/Club and to a very large extent, Fans. Very proud they're my Team.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    I'm old enough to remember when Oxford where going to murder us on "that big Wembley pitch"

I'd be interested to see if there's even the slightest correlation between home ground pitch size and success (or otherwise) at Wembley, but my head is hurting just thinking about how long that would take to work out.

• @drcongo said:
    Talking of JJ, there was a lovely moment caught by the cameras just as he was about to take a corner when someone in the MK crowd called him something, and he pointed at his chest and said "who me?", then pointed at the lino and said "him?". Even in the stress of a match like that, he's still laughing and joking around with the fans giving him abuse. Everyone should be a bit more JJ. I certainly wish I was.

That was great

• @LeedsBlue said:
    This 'moron' business - it looked bad in print, would probably have been ignored on the terrace, but best swept under the carpet in terms of a discussion point, as we are all cheering the same team... :-)

(Referee's lecture over. No cards produced)

@Glasshalffull - silly question I suppose, but how did it feel to be on the pitch looking up at the fans and soaking up the atmosphere? Compared, say, to Filbert Street, for example?

Wise words. I wasn’t trying to gate crash the celebrations but Rob and his family wanted to go pitch side and I knew the way having done it before in my job. Once there I got caught up in the emotions and wanted to congratulate every player and back room staff. Our fans were wonderful and I wish you could all have joined me. Compared to Leicester, well that was also a very special day and we may never get to the semis of the FA Cup again so that’s a very difficult question.

• Some good stuff on here...

• PBoPBo
    edited May 2022

@Bacon_Sandwich said:
    and I'm always impressed with his ability to wind up opposition players so effectively. His perfectly timed tackle on Connor Wickham was one for the Jason Cousin files.

I was kind of surprised how soon after that, that Wickham appeared to be laughing and joking with him.

I'm actually quite glad that Franchise appear to be such "footballing purists" who only seemingly begrudgingly brought on the Big Man Up Front as a Plan B, as I suspect Wickham could have actually been a bigger asset for them and put some of those dangerous balls into the box away had he started.

• A View from the West :0

So that was challenging, a play off semi between the teams that between them during the normal season garnered an 11- 1 aggregate destruction of my team. Contrasting styles I think is the only way to describe it.

So I have been here before and had a constructive debate ....and I just wanted to congratulate you on a deserved win over the two legs.....you imposed your game on them, something we failed to do consistently last season in those defeats, and Vokes was an inspired piece of transfer business...a proper leader of the line.

Whilst MK dominated, they created very few clear chances, partly through some committed defending ( I texted JJ's dad after THAT block) and partly because MK lacked an end product ( left it all in Home Park perhaps). So even though Corbeneau looked threatening in the first twenty, once Obita doubled back it became apparent that the one thing he can't do is cross accurately.

Obviously you get your day out at Wembley and at least this time if you win you get to witness it first hand ....I think it will be Wednesday you face and honestly as soon as we were out of contention it becomes irrelevant as to who stays down and who goes up.

So we might see you again next year....or you might be up...in which case best of luck....I still think the play offs make the leagues so much more exciting and if you finish Sixth with momentum, as we have seen that can be an OK thing.

As for MK , yes they will be gutted ...gutted to have lost, and gutted as a squad....five premier loanees going back and they will probably lose three of four of the others ...albeit for good money so replacing will be possible...but not easy.

As for us, well the one positive is we have a chant for next season emerging from the debacle of the final day.

Five nil and you ******* it up!

Until July.....or the one after.....

• Memories to last a lifetime there. Great to see our injured and development players invoked too.

• Anyone demanding wholesale personnel changes for the final, based on last night’s match, might want to wind their memories back three days and reflect that Horgan / Gape / Obita started in the team that dismantled 3rd place MK.

I’d be very surprised if that team didn’t start again at Wembley.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Must admit I thought it was unnecessary to add moron @ReturnToSenda . I'll put it down to high emotions.

Yep, not great.

Bit like some fat bloke across the aisle from me having the audacity to call one of our players lazy!

• @BlueBoy said:
    I absolutely love JJ. One of my all time favourite players.

That is all.

Must be exceptionally high up the list of all time most likeable players.

Will always be remembered as a key player in starting the change of mindset from the miserable Torquay season, to a new era.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Anyone demanding wholesale personnel changes for the final, based on last night’s match, might want to wind their memories back three days and reflect that Horgan / Gape / Obita started in the team that dismantled 3rd place MK.

Yep, anyone not understanding the absolute chalk and cheese context of the 2 games really can't be helped!

• @arnos_grove said:
    Anyone demanding wholesale personnel changes for the final, based on last night’s match, might want to wind their memories back three days and reflect that Horgan / Gape / Obita started in the team that dismantled 3rd place MK.

Absolutely, Stretched squad, playing Thursday and Sunday against a desperate and quick young team trying to pass round us , think they're allowed to have not inspired offensively. Couple of weeks off will do us wonders. Can't see Obita ever being dropped, he offers a lot and allows a quick change to the back 3 without using up substitutions. Gape has been great recently and Scowen will appreciate him alongside. Wing for Horgan might interest some and horrify others , can only really see changes though if forced by injuries or if Mehmeti is back available.

• @pafcprogs said:
    A View from the West :0

So that was challenging, a play off semi between the teams that between them during the normal season garnered an 11- 1 aggregate destruction of my team. Contrasting styles I think is the only way to describe it.

So I have been here before and had a constructive debate ....and I just wanted to congratulate you on a deserved win over the two legs.....you imposed your game on them, something we failed to do consistently last season in those defeats, and Vokes was an inspired piece of transfer business...a proper leader of the line.

Whilst MK dominated, they created very few clear chances, partly through some committed defending ( I texted JJ's dad after THAT block) and partly because MK lacked an end product ( left it all in Home Park perhaps). So even though Corbeneau looked threatening in the first twenty, once Obita doubled back it became apparent that the one thing he can't do is cross accurately.

Obviously you get your day out at Wembley and at least this time if you win you get to witness it first hand ....I think it will be Wednesday you face and honestly as soon as we were out of contention it becomes irrelevant as to who stays down and who goes up.

So we might see you again next year....or you might be up...in which case best of luck....I still think the play offs make the leagues so much more exciting and if you finish Sixth with momentum, as we have seen that can be an OK thing.

As for MK , yes they will be gutted ...gutted to have lost, and gutted as a squad....five premier loanees going back and they will probably lose three of four of the others ...albeit for good money so replacing will be possible...but not easy.

As for us, well the one positive is we have a chant for next season emerging from the debacle of the final day.

Five nil and you ******* it up!

Until July.....or the one after.....

Or many Julys after that.

I think MK will be much weaker next season with the loss of at least seven of the team yesterday. They have played some pretty football over the season but as Oxford found out in July 2020, that counts for nothing if you can’t score against a well drilled defensive unit.

Next season in Lge1 could prove as difficult as this season with so many big spending teams in the mix. If you can keep hold of your main squad and add some Wycombe steel I’d fancy you to upset the big boys again

I hate to say it but for me Plymouth were the stand out team this season in comparison to budget, closely followed by us.

Best of luck next season and some more local games to look forward too.

• edited May 2022

@arnos_grove said:

If we get Wednesday, can I not dream of a Lewis Wing Cameo that destroys them and sticks one in the eye for all those Wednesday fans that says he wasn't any good when he joined us?

That would almost be the most fitting Wycombe Way to be promoted.

Obviously if its Sunderland, Anis makes a comeback, gets O'nein sent off and Scowen scored a 30 yard, last minute screamer.

• Just as losing home and away to MK meant nothing in the play-offs, a final is a final and all bets are off. I am sure we will see an attractive attacking performance that will be deemed time-wasting shithousery that conned all the officials! :smile:

• A couple of things I noticed from the above video of the post-match scenes:

• GMac choking back the tears
    • Vokesy saying he's never had his 'big day out at Wembley'. Genuinely never realised...
  • GMac claimed he got poked in the eye lol

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the Wembley pitch? All this talk of how big it is, but it can't be that big.

I think football grounds built in the last thirty years all have Wembley-sized pitches, including ours, although ours has been made narrower to suit our style of play.

• Someone near me said 'he obviously does not want to play for us!' Sheeesh!

I have to admit, I didn't think he looked like he wanted to be here early in the season. He does now!

• @LDF said:

Someone near me said 'he obviously does not want to play for us!' Sheeesh!

I have to admit, I didn't think he looked like he wanted to be here early in the season. He does now!

Didn’t see much wrong with his body language yesterday ?

• What a time to be alive!

• I love how, despite a pretty incredible career, Vokes is absolutely over the fucking moon about getting to the League 1 play-off final. Proper Gaz/Dobbo signing.

• @LDF said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the Wembley pitch? All this talk of how big it is, but it can't be that big.

I think football grounds built in the last thirty years all have Wembley-sized pitches, including ours, although ours has been made narrower to suit our style of play.

If memory serves (it often doesn’t), quite the thing was made of the AP pitch being the same size as Wembley’s for a long time. It’s then been shortened and narrowed over time.

I know at one point it was the smallest it’s permitted to be and given that it hasn’t appeared to get any bigger over recent seasons I would assume it still is.