Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Away Leg

Comments

• edited May 2022

I'd like to congratulate MK for pressing home their wonderful statistics during the season, as constantly relayed by the Sky commentary team, and then utterly dominating us statistically today.

They were so statistically superior to us that it makes for amazing statistical viewing. It really shows that those regular season statistics were very telling, as they really did go on to embarrass us statistically.

Looking at those statistics, I have to hold my hand up and say MK are by far the better statistical team, with wonderful statistics that we could never hope to get close to, as a poor statistical side.

On to Wembley.

• @thecatwwfc said:

People slating the way we approached it - what alternative would you have proposed? The game, over two legs, could not have gone any better (for the level we are at).

They finished 3rd for a reason. They are a very good footballing side and we were never going to beat them at their own game. It was always going to be nicking a goal from a set piece, or a counter attack.

Yeah, I was surprised how negative people were on here about the tactics - I didn’t look at the match day thread till after the game.

“Backs to the wall” was always going to be stressful, but it worked. And we got better at it once Obita got back more to nullify Corbeanu.

I thought there was no way we’d keep a clean sheet in the second half, but we did - GA well vindicated in the game plan I’d say.

• Just got home and can’t speak I’ve sung so much. What an amazing travelling support we had for the game even after the pathetic attempts by Winkleman to reduce our presence when Mrs Ital picked me up after the game and said all she could hear was us as she drove towards the stadium.

• Wembley again and the return of @trevor? A momentous day indeed!

• The MK forum is saltier than the Dead Sea.

• That was a arduous watch, but we made it! We're just an incredibly resilient side, capable of seeing out a result under the most extreme pressure.

A beautiful feeling to be going to Wembley after the empty stadium last time. I'd imagine that apart from the 57 Amateur Cup Final, it'll be the biggest crown we've played in front of.

• My heart sinks every time I visit that stadium - it has a dementor-like way of sucking the atmosphere out of everything and we seldom do well there.

So all credit to the travelling support for helping to keep the team going - especially given MK Dons decision to put us up in the gods as far away from the pitch as possible.

Fabulous and unified away support following the best home support at a game I can remember. The way the support worked away at singing and xhanting in unison was a 12th man in action.

• @wandering_jock said:
    Did anyone see Parry on the pitch? Wtf?.? Nearly gave him a standing ovation in out house!

PS Beeks was in a shot with Sir Pete Couhig. Is he still hanging around our club? Shouldn’t he have been at a Wasps game?

Oh, and we’re all going to Wemberlyyyyy!

He is our president, so not that much of a surprise.

• edited May 2022

Is it time yet to start a thread moaning about Wembley tickets?

• An MK fan was laughing at me on the way out saying we had no chance in the final.

Don't breed em sharp in MK do they.

Has a game ever been such a tough watch yet been so brilliant at the same time?

Feared the worst when they scored that early, but we could head those crosses out all night.

Would like to see the Vokes through on goal moment again. Seemed improbable to not get some sort of shot off.

But all academic as they say. 2 weeks to build the excitement up for Wembley.
    Wonder if this buys Mehmeti half a chance?

• Ps you simply have to love how football works sometimes.

MK destroy Plymouth, letting us in, instead of playing Plymouth again.
    They face us, we beat them. Marvellous!!

• Would like to see the Vokes through on goal moment again. Seemed improbable to not get some sort of shot off.

Someone near me said 'he obviously does not want to play for us!' Sheeesh!

• In the end.... What a night! Scenes at FT were right up there.

2 weeks to get players fit, and this team know how to get over the line.

• edited May 2022

@drcongo said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Very likely, along with Twine and Corbeanu quite possibly.

Corbeanu is on loan.

Troy Parrots only a loanee too (Spurs).

That video should have been posted before the game! It seems even more appropriate now, so I'll leave it.

• Glad Karl Robinson was there. I am sure he got some Anthony Stewart PTSD...

• As usual, Bayo’s interview nails it:

(paraphrasing) The club’s success is based on the ethos set by Gaz and Dobbo that everyone is free, within the unit, to be themselves and express themselves as individuals, on and off the pitch. The owners have totally bought into this culture and the result is greater than the sum of its parts.

• That tackle from JJ is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen

• Very poor first half but, my word, that's the grit we're used to in the second. Absolutely fantastic defensive display second half. Roll on Wembley.

• I watched the game without sound due to being in a pub with no great interest in the football once the ManC vs New had finished, happy that I didn’t have to endure the commentary by the sound of it but wish we had been able to enjoy the backing vocals as supplied by the Blue Army.

Regarding all the talk of MK being the exemplars of the beautiful game and Wycombe being cast in the roll of the cynical anti-football outfit, it’s really all you can expect from the media, unable to see a context outside of a single game. If they told the story of a team turning up with the players that they could afford on a sustainable budget that eschewed the loan market in favour of developing their own players and put that against the year-on-year expenditure of the sides we are playing against, the real story might be coaxed out. I still find it remarkable that we compete against that sort of disparity.

Final thought - Wycombe are probably the team that need this the least. Next year we will be fine whichever league we are in, you get the feeling that of the other teams still in it, those who fail will have gambled more than they can afford to lose. If doing them at ours and then digging in at their patch is the price that we have to pay, I’ll take that.

• @eric_plant said:
    That tackle from JJ is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen

Anyone got a clip? It's not on the highlights. Watching it live I had absolutely no idea where he came from to get there!

• It's on the sky sports football highlights on youtube

• Annoyingly the tackle from JJ didn’t make it onto the sky highlights. Bizarre.

• Correction: not on the Twitter version but they are on YouTube

• @Last_Quarter said:

@eric_plant said:
    That tackle from JJ is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen

Anyone got a clip? It's not on the highlights. Watching it live I had absolutely no idea where he came from to get there!

Same here. Watching it live there were only two possibilities in my head, goal or Stocko save. And then JJ glitched into existence like we'd suddenly swapped which universe we were in. Which we kinda did.

• A massive THANK YOU to @SurreyWanderer who arranged a last minute ticket sale to my old man last night. It meant 3 generations of Usernames could go and remarkably the ticket was only 1 seat across and 2 rows back! We have the best fans, everyone in the ground was superb, we made new friends last night and reading everything online shows just how strong the support was from those who didn’t manage to get a ticket. You were definitely all there in spirit! I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that I felt duty bound to sing louder and prouder for very Wycombe fan shafted by our ‘Sporting Disadvantage’.

• @Shev said:
    Glad Karl Robinson was there. I am sure he got some Anthony Stewart PTSD...

Did you see the state of that jacket he was wearing? Couldn't work out if he'd come in fancy dress as the Sports Casual Milk Tray man, a nighttime murderer, a getaway drive in a Guy Ritchie film or a 80s nightclub bouncer.

The worst garment in the stadium, and I include MK shirts and that awful 'club that never died' flag, which should be legal to burn.