Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Away Leg

Comments

• Higbury was always tiny, wasn't it?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Higbury was always tiny, wasn't it?

That's right. I think it was about as narrow as permitted, although Wenger had something to do with that. White Hart Lane was short but wide. I assume they both have Wembley-sized pitches now as industry standard. Don't quote me though.

• It was good to see the players from both teams treating each other with the utmost respect at the end of the game. All the aggro online before the game hadn't spoiled that for the players

• Seeing the celebrations, and hearing his 3CR interview when will the 'he obviously does not want to be here...' bull end?

• Did anyone hear the thoughts of Geoff Doyle on the other 3CR frequency last night? I imagine it would’ve been hilarious.

• @LDF said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Higbury was always tiny, wasn't it?

That's right. I think it was about as narrow as permitted, although Wenger had something to do with that. White Hart Lane was short but wide. I assume they both have Wembley-sized pitches now as industry standard. Don't quote me though.

Apparently Palace have the smallest out of current PL clubs and City the biggest (hardly surprising)

• Geoff Doyle is actually a Wycombe boy I believe - went to John Hampden

• One thing that’s striking is that when another team achieves something against us, our media team congratulate them straight away on Twitter etc.

Looking at MK Dons, there’s not one mention of us since the game finished. Complete lack of class.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Did anyone hear the thoughts of Geoff Doyle on the other 3CR frequency last night? I imagine it would’ve been hilarious.

They were gutted for MK... :smile:

• @drcongo said:
    Did anyone else have an incredibly bad night's sleep last night?

Couldn't sleep until 2am even though I turned the lights off at midnight

• @BlueBoy said:

@LDF said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the Wembley pitch? All this talk of how big it is, but it can't be that big.

I think football grounds built in the last thirty years all have Wembley-sized pitches, including ours, although ours has been made narrower to suit our style of play.

If memory serves (it often doesn’t), quite the thing was made of the AP pitch being the same size as Wembley’s for a long time. It’s then been shortened and narrowed over time.

I know at one point it was the smallest it’s permitted to be and given that it hasn’t appeared to get any bigger over recent seasons I would assume it still is.

The Wembley pitch, according to the FA, is 69 metres wide.

The Adams Park pitch must be at least 68 metres wide, or at least must have been when Wasps were playing there, in order to meet Premiership minimum standards.

I don't know if WW have narrowed the pitch since 2014.

• @drcongo said:
    I love how, despite a pretty incredible career, Vokes is absolutely over the fucking moon about getting to the League 1 play-off final. Proper Gaz/Dobbo signing.

I'd love to know how on earth we even found out that he quite fancied coming here.

• Apparently, we will be found out by a proper footballing side on a wider pitch with better officials. Again.

• I used to get quite upset about the cliched nonsense written about us but now I’m beginning to enjoy all the seething envy about our success.

• I know we have our share of 'that Ainsworth' posters, but the majority view is supportive, which is indicative I think of the unity of club, fans and playing staff. Looking at the Sunderland and Wednesday sites, the constant arguments about the quality of the managers who have taken them into the play-offs is amazing. Alex Neil gets a better press as he's not been there long, but I fear for the job of the bloke who loses tonight! I suppose that's the rub of managing a 'big club'.

• It's great @glasshalffull enjoy!

• @eric_plant said:
    Geoff Doyle is actually a Wycombe boy I believe - went to John Hampden

As a old boy I consider this treason. Probably in the same yet as David Shayler.

• @Malone said:

@drcongo said:
    I love how, despite a pretty incredible career, Vokes is absolutely over the fucking moon about getting to the League 1 play-off final. Proper Gaz/Dobbo signing.

I'd love to know how on earth we even found out that he quite fancied coming here.

There’s an interview knocking about somewhere where he discusses how it all came about. Maybe it was on RTB? @bluntphil will be able to confirm or deny.

• There's a lad that now has a memory to last a lifetime. ?

• @eric_plant said:
    Geoff Doyle is actually a Wycombe boy I believe - went to John Hampden

He is, and that's all correct, I actually know the family and believe me he's nowhere near as anti Wycombe as you all think

• I listened to his post match summary, he certainly was the opposite of "upbeat"! Doesn't he do the MK commentary for BBC3CR like @bluntphil does for us?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I listened to his post match summary, he certainly was the opposite of "upbeat"! Doesn't he do the MK commentary for BBC3CR like @bluntphil does for us?

Watford and Stevenage both having poor seasons and MK Dons being pipped by (gritted teeth) Wycombe Wanderers...very upsetting for 3CR.

• Just remembered Luton rising to the Prem could lighten their mood though.

• @HomerLone said:

There's a lad that now has a memory to last a lifetime. ?

The tough part is making him realise that it won’t always be this good. But that conversation can wait for another day….

• @Rasputin said:

The tough part is making him realise that it won’t always be this good. But that conversation can wait for another day….

Probably lack of sleep after last night but I read that and thought it was about persuading Vokes to stay.

• @bargepole said:

@BlueBoy said:

@LDF said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the Wembley pitch? All this talk of how big it is, but it can't be that big.

I think football grounds built in the last thirty years all have Wembley-sized pitches, including ours, although ours has been made narrower to suit our style of play.

If memory serves (it often doesn’t), quite the thing was made of the AP pitch being the same size as Wembley’s for a long time. It’s then been shortened and narrowed over time.

I know at one point it was the smallest it’s permitted to be and given that it hasn’t appeared to get any bigger over recent seasons I would assume it still is.

The Wembley pitch, according to the FA, is 69 metres wide.

The Adams Park pitch must be at least 68 metres wide, or at least must have been when Wasps were playing there, in order to meet Premiership minimum standards.

I don't know if WW have narrowed the pitch since 2014.

It’s been narrowed on at least one occasion since then, the latest was on the Frank Adams’ side about 4 or 5 years ago. The gap between the stand and the touch line increased noticeably.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@Rasputin said:

Probably lack of sleep after last night but I read that and thought it was about persuading Vokes to stay.

We met Sam Vokes' Dad at Cherwell Valley services after the game last night. Was eagerly persuading him to get Sam to sign a new contract!

• @floyd said:

@DevC said:
    Final likely to be the biggest crowd Wycombe have ever played in front of??

No idea, but given the capacity of Wembley in 1931 and 1957 I wouldn't bet on it.

It was at Highbury in 1931.