Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Away Leg

Comments

• It’s a takeover.

• Can’t sleep with excitement. Any ideas for pre game drinks today?

Magnificent @BSE

• Anything but real ale would be my suggestion. We will have enough butterflies in our stomach, without that warm muck swilling around in your 'Ned Kelly' !!

• It’s going to be a loooong day

• edited May 2022

@Mandown said:
    Can’t sleep with excitement. Any ideas for pre game drinks today?

Magnificent @BSE

It’s a soulless place with shopping outlets and chain restaurants your only real option at the ground. IKEA meatballs anyone?

The centre of MK is a 10 minute car drive away and has a few better options. The Brewhouse is OK and there are a couple of indie places inside Xscape now if you want food and drink (E.g. Wing Kings). Wetherspoon’s too, if that’s more your thing. A giant Brew Dog too a bit further out.

General rule of thumb is the further out you go (excluding Bletchley) the better it becomes. That’s when you’re in the surrounding towns and villages.

Not sure I’m getting a job with the local tourist board any time soon…

• For those that like plenty of choice in their beer and for it to have, you know, flavour, I can recommend Biergarten in Wolverton. It’s 10/15 mins away by car or a couple of short extra stops up the track by train. Not sure it’ll exactly be hitting the mark with regards to pre-game atmosphere though.

https://www.mkbiergarten.co.uk/

• I unfortunately will be 165 miles away from MK in Bury today but am already up and excited - lucky I can't drink any more or I'd be a right state in work tomorrow either through celebration or drowning my sorrows.

The only commiseration is that I won't being giving a penny to or setting foot in the ground that is home to that never healing blemish on football which is MK 'Dons'.
    The only club who challenge Man Utd in the most hated club stakes amongst real football fans. Man Utd destroyed the FA Cup (not that that's the reason they're so hated!) but MKD destroyed the whole sacred way football has organically grown in this country since the 1850's.

i was surprised that with a lot of real football fans in MK still being followers of London clubs from the areas in London their families were moved from that when MKD suddenly appeared they got such respectable attendances and still do.

Is this to do with free entry for kids and other artificial ways of boosting the crowd because I just can't see how it happened. People north of MK (not the London overspill in the actual 'City') also traditionally went to Northampton or if they lived to the east maybe Luton Town. So those attendances must be inflated surely. And remember how badly the old original Milton Keynes club used to do and with a handful of fans.

And those who do go now must be all happy clappy easily persuadable media victims more suited to those failed attempts to bring American Football to England than British football.

Just looking at their supporters at the Adams Park leg there was something very alien to football about the whole lot of them in that stand. That away crowd just didn't "look right". Different to any supporters I've seen in my nearly 50 years of watching football at all levels.

That's why we must finish the job today for the good of football as well as for ourselves. Plus I fancy a day out at Wembley in all the times I've been with Wycombe or England this would be my first experience of it sober or not off my head on other substances!

Come On You Blues! Park the bus or try to add to the goal tally. I don't care how you do it as long as you stop the Franchise putting the ball in our net or at least any more than once!

• edited May 2022

You have to remember, Milton Keynes is over 50 years old now. The perception that a lot of people support local clubs or have brought London ties with them is wrong. Most people in MK, like the rest of the country without a ‘proper’ team support one of the big Premier League outfits. Having grown up just outside MK in Newport Pagnell, there were as many Wycombe fans as there were Northampton & Luton, I.e. not a lot.

Your views on their ‘fans’ is spot on though. They are so far removed from a traditional fan base it would be funny if not so cringeworthy. A lot of odd balls and misfits who just don’t get what it is to be part of a football club with soul and history behind it.

They do still give away a ludicrous amount of freebies, which I understand you can’t do for the playoffs. This probably explains why, despite the magnitude of the game, the stadium will be more than half empty still.

• Went to see John Otway last night and was struck by his resemblance to Mr Winkleman ?. I now have a certain song chorus lined up for when we score our first goal today. ?

• If we ever have the misfortune to play them again at Adams Park I hope we give them the minimum EFL ticket requirement (currently 950) & spilt them into 2 halves of 475 each by the corner flags with a f*****g great gap down the middle behind the goal. “For sporting advantage” reasons of course.

• Marginal Gains: every chant should be a double header:
    “We’re the right side / we’re the left side”
    “Chairboys / barmy army”
    and…..
    “Sporting / Advantage”
    If one side starts a chant the other must follow. It has to be how the Terrace and Frank Adams worked together on Thursday
    Let’s do our bit for the lads. COYB’s

• @BlueBoy said:
    You have to remember, Milton Keynes is over 50 years old now. The perception that a lot of people support local clubs or have brought London ties with them is wrong. Most people in MK, like the rest of the country without a ‘proper’ team support one of the big Premier League outfits. Having grown up just outside MK in Newport Pagnell, there were as many Wycombe fans as there were Northampton & Luton, I.e. not a lot.

Your views on their ‘fans’ is spot on though. They are so far removed from a traditional fan base it would be funny if not so cringeworthy. A lot of odd balls and misfits who just don’t get what it is to be part of a football club with soul and history behind it.

They do still give away a ludicrous amount of freebies, which I understand you can’t do for the playoffs. This probably explains why, despite the magnitude of the game, the stadium will be more than half empty still.

Yes I'm showing my age and how times flown - as you say they''ll be third generation MK adults there now. Poor bastards! When I was a driver/driver's mate in about 1996 for the late lamented (!) Comet I did the round that took in MK a couple of times and as people say it's totally soulless. I'd already got of the bus once there a year or two before on the way to Northampton to see my girlfriend when my car was off the road and was shocked at what seemed to be the lack of a proper "city" centre - no pubs to have a couple of beers in that i could see. Horrible place. i've heard on here on this thread I think that Newport Pagnell is the nearest decent place to have a drink.

• Getting ready to head off. Nerves a plenty. Concede early and its going to be a rough afternoon. Get to half time with the advantage intact or god forbid extended then the pressure will really be on them. Plenty of reasons to be positive plenty of reasons to want to be on the verge on a panic attack.

Just a thought to fans. We were BRILLIANT on Thursday. And most of the chanting (the vast majority) was pro Wycombe not anti Franchise. Lets do the same again today. We can make that empty bowl rock with support for our side and not get into negative chants against a team we all despise along with most of football.

Good luck to us all, See you the other side

• I don't get nervous about these games anymore. The Gaz effect.

• Excellent post @TheAndyGrahamFanClub (and from my friend @BlueBoy).

I very much hope positive pro Wycombe chants will prevail. No need to descend to the depths of the Dongs with abusive anti opposition chants.

Finally, safe journeys everyone and, following the dreadful on-line racist abuse of Jordan Obita, let’s remind him that he’s well loved at Wycombe by chanting “there’s only one J Obita, one J Obita…..”

• edited May 2022

As long as MK do as they did in the first leg and bring a plastic knife to a gunfight, we'll be fine. I'm still expecting them to score first, mind you...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    As long as MK do as they did in the first leg and bring a plastic knife to a gunfight, we'll be fine. I'm still expecting them to score first, mind you...

Christ I hope not. I am seeing it as the team who scores first wins it (unless they score first after 85)

• edited May 2022

@BuryExileWasRochdale said:

@BlueBoy said:

Yes I'm showing my age and how times flown - as you say they''ll be third generation MK adults there now. Poor bastards! When I was a driver/driver's mate in about 1996 for the late lamented (!) Comet I did the round that took in MK a couple of times and as people say it's totally soulless. I'd already got of the bus once there a year or two before on the way to Northampton to see my girlfriend when my car was off the road and was shocked at what seemed to be the lack of a proper "city" centre - no pubs to have a couple of beers in that i could see. Horrible place. i've heard on here on this thread I think that Newport Pagnell is the nearest decent place to have a drink.

It’s not half as bad as it once was but I won’t try and oversell it, I’m second generation MK myself. I still live in leafy Newport Pagnell and there are plenty of decent pubs. Any of the surrounding small towns and villages are good options.

• This is a fantastic pic @BSE

• edited May 2022

They've actually barely separated us (zoom in on the middle at the far end) - which makes you wonder why they bothered at all?

I expect to see a conga line making its way across that gap if we score first.
  • Fuck off Milton Keynes

• @LX1 said:
    Fuck off Milton Keynes

Oh what can it mean...

• To a..

• Plastic supporter and a shit football team

• Come on Sammy Vokes

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Plastic supporter and a shit football team

*fake football team

• Bounce around..if you love Wycombe