Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

1234568»

Comments

• @micra he's had a decent few games recently, but don't forget he's largely flattered to deceive this last 20months.
    Tiny handful of goals, tiny handful of assists, arguably even fewer decent crosses?

Clearly our style may not help his strengths at times.

Roll on a stunning end to the season though.

• Horgan is at his best when he plays on instinct, when he over thinks it he is prone to choke - especially when shooting. Like Mehmeti I feel his pace and directness panic defences, so pleased there appears to be room for both at the moment.

• @micra 100% spot on!

• Thanks @LeedsBlue and you’ve really put your finger on it @perfidious_albion.

• Watched @bluntphil’s interview with him yesterday. Great character (well, he’s Irish!) and highly articulate (ditto). Definitely a thinker.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    There were quite a few idiots around me in the terrace last night, really did make me think whether I want to carry on going in there

Moaning is annoying but it's the Sunday league coaching shouts that really annoys me. The sort of stuff that would embarress little kids if they could actually hear it properly so has no conceivable effect on our players when they are a long way away with hundreds of people shouting different things.
    Awa> @micra said:

@aloysius said:
    The most interesting thing for me about the match was the switch to playing the short ball out by Stockdale, the central defenders stroking it about to each other, then trying to play up through Scowen or Wing, through to Horgan to spread it wide to Mehmeti or McCleary, who would then either whip the ball in for Vokes or cut back for another of the attacking midfielders.

I remember us playing a variant of that style right at the start of the season when we were using a 3421 but it soon dropped away. It's great to see it return now we're 4231 and I hope we stick with it, even though it was a switch to 433 and lumping it up to three big strikers that eventually led to the goal. It's a very unWycombe way of playing but we certainly have the skilful players to pull it off at the moment. I've said this before but Horgan really is central to succeeding in this style - his vision, speed of thought and willingness to probe is key (Wheeler can also do this job but Horgan seems a little more inventive).

The new style does ask even more of the fullbacks as there's less cover for them when they bomb on but McCarthy's athleticism paid off nicely yesterday and it will be good to see the new system with Obita in place as well. The one issue that Fleetwood exposed well is our lack of pace in central defence, especially with JJ as fullback. I don't think we've seen a Taffazoli-Forino combo yet. I don't think Stewart should be dropped for Forino as we lose so much when he's not in the team. But I wonder if that switch might solve the pace issue in the short term.

Horgan is different class; he’s quick, has excellent close control, takes players on and and picks some good passes. Not as good in the air as Wheeler but, overall, is the better player. Only disappointment is that he has only scored one goal this season. He was a fairly prolific goalscorer at several of his previous clubs but seems to have lost the knack during his time at Adams Park.
    Cue a hat trick at Fratton Park!

Always looks like a good player but often seems on a different wavelength to teammates and has produced very little directly in goals or assists or defensively, but slows it down in a good way at times and gets play flowing on the floor. Was happy for him to leave at the end of the season but agree we are starting to look better with him in the team. Needs some of our fans to be a bit more patient at times and him to be a bit more careful with passing but our mini creative revival over the last couple of games is pretty welcome right now.

• Horgan produced the one moment of true quality today with that through ball for Mehmeti.

Probably the best chance of the game.