Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• Get in. Would of took that before the game. Massive one now at pompey Saturday.

• @floyd said:
    Couple of strong contenders for the most miserable way to celebrate a 90th minute winner award on here.

At least no-one can accuse us of celebrating like we just won the Cup!

• This is how you’re supposed to celebrate a 90th minute winner. Absolute scenes.

• Long trip back to Fleetwood that

• I feel like I watched a different game to everyone else. I thought we played well and were a bit unlucky in front of goal, and it was a good entertaining match. As others have said already, I’d be fuming if that goal had gone against us - clear foul on the keeper and a hand ball.

• @Gary said:
    I’m so pleased that Jase got the goal. He’s come in for a lot of criticism this season (some justified, I’m sure he would agree) but he’s really taken his chance since winning the shirt back. He’s been impressive the last few games.

Agreed. Superb since going to right back in a 4 again

• For anyone complaining about ref decisions and when we don't get the rub of the green...bank the foul on the goalie from Vokes in your memory, then remember, "what comes around goes around".

Vital 3 points for us to stay with the chasing pack, and well played Fleetwood, but not in any way comfortable from us.

• @drcongo said:
    I feel like I watched a different game to everyone else. I thought we played well and were a bit unlucky in front of goal, and it was a good entertaining match. As others have said already, I’d be fuming if that goal had gone against us - clear foul on the keeper and a hand ball.

I agree. Can't understand the shit performance against a poor side. Fleetwood played so well and we were on top for a good while. Just bad finishing and then desperation.

• Barely celebrated at the end as I assumed there must have been some foul on the keeper for the goal? Apparently not, and a great way to win it

• @PBo said:
    For anyone complaining about ref decisions and when we don't get the rub of the green...bank the foul on the goalie from Vokes in your memory, then remember, "what comes around goes around".

Vital 3 points for us to stay with the chasing pack, and well played Fleetwood, but not in any way comfortable from us.

Fair enough, but we still need about 27 decisions to go our way in that case.

• The ref gave fouls for little contact by our players all game and then let's that go in the last minute. Fleetwood fans have every right to be annoyed by that. Though we deserved the win on the balance of play, it was a valiant effort from their makeshift side.

Will be a different test on Saturday one imagines

• It’s tough on Fleetwood both for their performance and the foul(s) in the lead up to the goal. It reminded me of many of our Championship performances - giving everything and coming away with nothing, somewhat hard done by.

• Two more different scorers away from our most ever in an EFL league campaign. Scowen and Young?

• We weren’t at our best, we missed several good chances, we won. I have nothing against the Fleetwood players or fans but I find it difficult to feel sorry for a club that employed a certain well known manager.

• I think, on balance, that I liked it more when I didn't have a sense that we ought to win games like these.

• Performance at this stage of the season is immaterial. Points are the priority. And 3 tonight is brilliant. No good for the nerves though.

• @glasshalffull I didn’t know you had an issue with Simon Grayson

• edited March 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Chris said:
    @glasshalffull I didn’t know you had an issue with Simon Grayson

I presume that is a mischievous post ?

• @fame_46 said:
    Apart from the first 10 minutes where Fleetwood had a couple of decent chances we controlled the tempo of the match throughout.

First half we were wasteful, played some really nice football. Movement was on point and both McCleary and Horgan should have scored. Mehmeti also was very unlucky not to score from a chance created from pure ingenuity.

Lots of endeavour second half and the ball just wouldn’t fall nicely at times with Fleetwood also defending resolutely.

Facts are defend properly, don’t concede and you give yourself every opportunity to nick a result and ultimately we took advantage of our superiority. No apologies from me, thought we deserved the win on the balance of play.

JMac man of the match, has been excellent and bang in form at the moment. Never stops running and his athleticism gives you an extra auxiliary attacker.

Massive game on Saturday.

COYB.

Totally agree with this.

• I agree with @drcongo - after a shaky first 15 when they surprised us a bit with their enterprise, we got hold of the game and should've been ahead from a sequence of chances, one glorious. Fleetwood played their part but we were still on top until the anxiety, individual discipline and the sub changes disrupted our flow and frustration crept in. But we kept going, kept looking for a way, didn't fizzle out and finally found it right at the death. We are always quick to squeal when we get a duff decision, but are always told 'that's football'. So tonight, I'm taking it. Thanks, well played boys, and if anyone ever needed a reminder of what it means to the players, that tweet above is all you need to watch.

• edited March 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:

@frequentstander said:

@Chris said:
    Is he the substitute who came on and changed the game in the away fixture?

Yeah. I thought he was outstanding. Hasn't played as many minutes as I'd have guessed. He's still quite raw but he's only 19 (20 in a few weeks). A quick Twitter search suggests he's not getting much statistical attention... But he certainly passed the 'eye test' last time out. He's rapid and must certainly be in the top 10% in the league for 'dribbles attempted per 90'. One to keep an eye on tonight for sure - they'll have done their homework and they'll know Obita was ill last game. Could look to exploit JJ as Morris is rapid.

Well spotted! 4.79 dribbles attempted/90 puts him seventh out of 459 (min. 450 90s)

Wow. I'll take that. I'd love us to bring him in - seems misused in the Fleetwood system based on his goal contribution output. Thanks.

• I'll take that, bit of a frustrating game but I'll take a win whatever. Agree we got away with it, didn't see a foul on the keeper but definitely a handball in there, whatever !

At the time I was a bit annoyed we took both Horgan and Mehmeti off as they were the only 2 who were successfully passing the ball, Horgan for me was head and shoulders above anyone else first half. Also a big shout out to Young, thought he did very well and looked very comfortable when he came on.

• What a win that is! Absolutely huge result.

Late winners are the best thing in football and we score so many of them. We're very lucky

• "The only thing better than a late winner, is a disputed late winner"

(It was one of Whistler's)

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Also a big shout out to Young, thought he did very well and looked very comfortable when he came on.

Young was excellent, as he was in the Crewe game. Could be a vital signing in terms of strength in depth, does the ugly scrapping stuff well but can really pick a pass too.

• edited March 2022

After a very sloppy opening 25, we managed to steady the ship against a Fleetwood side ravaged with missing players - and boy could you tell. Gaping holes all over their channels & pockets between their deep line and their midfield. I thought we were distinctly average but still deserved to win by an extra goal at least. Thought the hand ball shout was stone wall personally - felt as if we'd have been in cruise control if we went ahead there from the spot.

Some tired legs in there today - noticeably in Stewart and Scowen. Really surprised the latter was spared and Wing was brought off first. I thought some of Wing's lateral passes were really opening the game up.

As the game wore on, our likelihood of going direct increased. We looked very poor trying to pass it out from the back in the opening exchanges. We were lucky to not be punished by Stewart's bobble into midfield early on where Butterfield forced an outstanding save from Stockdale who saw Butterfield aiming for his right post a mile off. Excellent reading of the game and Stockdale showed his experience there - silencing some of the recent doubters...

Overall, I am pleased Gareth seemed to spot & fix the errors very quickly - resorting to more familiar direct play and finishing the game with Hanlan, Vokes and Bayo, which really seems to turn the screw against these bottom 6-8 sides.

Horgan was excellent at picking up space in the pockets, but I fear this was purely due to Fleetwood incompetence - their midfield was dire in these areas. Horgan's end product flattered to deceive as tends to often be the case.

Quite keen to see GMac get a rest on Saturday. Hanlan must return to form soon if we are to beat the better sides. Jacobson looked flat footed at times on that left flank - no surprise Ainsworth is reluctant to give JJ back his old role on an ongoing basis. Would like Obita back from illness soon.

Would love to see Thommo get back on the pitch for some of the run in, but I fear his season may well be over - especially with Jack Young's rapid emergence.

Very unsure what Kai Kai's done to be removed from the squad entirely as it sounds like he's fit... I thought he was particularly good in his recent run of games, despite starting the season slowly when played well out of position...

Heard that Scowen & Tafazolli had a falling out on the pitch prior to us scoring... did anyone see this?

Our best free flowing football is played with Anis as a 10 - whether that's in a channel in a 3421 or in a more recent fluid 4231 ....

Bring on Portsmouth on Saturday. I'd rip your hand off for a point. I think 8 points from the next four games is what we should be looking at as a minimum if we want playoffs. We're capable of that - or more - too.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I'll take that, bit of a frustrating game but I'll take a win whatever. Agree we got away with it, didn't see a foul on the keeper but definitely a handball in there, whatever !

At the time I was a bit annoyed we took both Horgan and Mehmeti off as they were the only 2 who were successfully passing the ball, Horgan for me was head and shoulders above anyone else first half. Also a big shout out to Young, thought he did very well and looked very comfortable when he came on.

I also thought taking Horgan off was weird. Although he at times frustrates me with his loopy crossing, he does knit together the midfield and attack nicely. Picks up good positions in between the lines and can take the ball on the half turn and play people in. I felt we offered very little in attack after he went off, which is no criticism of the players coming on. It just affected out ability to play through midfield and get the likes of Mehmeti on the ball in space.

Personally I’d have taken GMac off. To me he seems off the pace and is certainly nowhere near his early season form. It’s a shame KaiKai got injured as he offers something similar and seemed to be coming into some good form.

• Had to miss tonight but was delighted to see a win. That's all that matters sometimes.

3 points off 4th! All to play for.