Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• @PBo said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Also a big shout out to Young, thought he did very well and looked very comfortable when he came on.

Young was excellent, as he was in the Crewe game. Could be a vital signing in terms of strength in depth, does the ugly scrapping stuff well but can really pick a pass too.

Very impressed. First time I’ve seen him. Movement off the ball very good too. Really looks the part. He and Wing look great prospects.

• First time I’ve seen us win in the flesh since we beat Sunderland in October 2019!!!

What a moment, you can’t bear a last minute winner, and extra special to see the players celebrating like that right in front of me (loved to see Horgan leading a charge all the way from the bench)!

Did feel for Fleetwood a bit, was impressed with their performance, given where they are in league and their inexperience. I also thought it was a clear foul in build up too. Very much reminded me of many results we’ve been on end of when we’ve had a struggling team.

They are all huge games now, but with us not playing the following week feel Portsmouth is particularly big! If we can somehow get a win it would be massive!

• Just watched the highlights - looks like another reason to be thankful we don't have VAR!
    Only Vokes will know for sure but it looks like it comes off his arm to McCarthy

• I thought we played okay in patches had plenty of chances but all credit to Fleetwood it was looking like another 0-0. All hail Macca. I also thought GMac needed to be hooked but heigh ho! We won. Still in it. Just.

• Funny old game. 94 minutes of turgid frustration followed by one moment of pure elation. And the only thing I will remember last night for is … joyous elation.
    Still in it. Still not firing on all cylinders. Reason to be positive in my ledger.

• I didn’t find it turgid at all, enjoyed the way both sides played

• edited March 2022

@glasshalffull said:
    We weren’t at our best, we missed several good chances, we won. I have nothing against the Fleetwood players or fans but I find it difficult to feel sorry for a club that employed a certain well known manager.

I have said this elsewhere before, but I cringe whenever we throw stones about another clubs employment record. We employed an actual murderer - albeit one that hadn’t been caught yet.

Joey Barton is a scum bag for sure, but let’s not tarnish entire clubs and fans that travel to Wycombe on Tuesday night. Let’s tarnish him.

• In the cold light of day Volkes comes from an on-side position like a good centre forward holds his ground 50:50 ball with the keeper, fortunate bounce, goal. Thank you and onwards…..

• For those on here who were recently claiming that the previous 4 games is a demonstration of “form”, we have 10 points from the last 12.

Which makes me really surprised that they haven’t come back here to mention this, since it seemed such an important stat to them at the time.

• Fair point @TheDancingYak, however I suspect that the reason for @glasshalffull's opinions are based upon him having met and/or had dealings with said manager over a period of time. Fleetwood have moved on from that episode and I hope that they survive. If they continue to play as they did last night, they're in with a good chance.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    In the cold light of day Volkes comes from an on-side position like a good centre forward holds his ground 50:50 ball with the keeper, fortunate bounce, goal. Thank you and onwards…..

Yes, having watched it I don't know how anyone can complain about him just being present there. He's not fouled the keeper in my book.

However, that very clear handball is another story!!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    For those on here who were recently claiming that the previous 4 games is a demonstration of “form”, we have 10 points from the last 12.

Which makes me really surprised that they haven’t come back here to mention this, since it seemed such an important stat to them at the time.

It's almost like football fans are the most fickle bastads there are.

• A team can be what some consider a 'poor team' but as we should know if you put 11 men behind the ball looking for a possible break you can frustrate a better team with better players. We've done it enough in our time. Sometimes you have to remember there are two teams on the pitch. They got through twice from missed balls at the back early on. Fleetwood played a blinder I thought...but we did what we had to do. At last.

• edited March 2022

@ValleyWanderer said:
    Fair point @TheDancingYak, however I suspect that the reason for @glasshalffull's opinions are based upon him having met and/or had dealings with said manager over a period of time. Fleetwood have moved on from that episode and I hope that they survive. If they continue to play as they did last night, they're in with a good chance.

Absolutely. They have moved on and so I see no reason why we shouldn’t give them some credit and and stop beating them over the head about who used to be their manager.

• Does it definitely hit Vokes' hand? It looks to me more likely that the keeper punches it?

Either way, very hard for the ref to see in real-time. I can see why it wasn't given.

• I think it absolutely hits Vokes arm then rolls down, but there's a crowd of players between the ref and the ball so understandable why it wasn't given. After the penalty call over the weekend, we were due a little break.

• Fleetwood are a horrible little club regardless of Barton. From their chairman using the club to endorse the Tories, to their shrug-of-the-shoulders response to the racist abuse aimed at Bayo (did they ever actually apologise for that?).

• A rare poor showing from Anthony Stewart yesterday. More a mark of his usual high standards admittedly but he certainly looked off his game.
    And am I the only one who gets frustrated with his long ball game? Whilst it is usually to the right area of the pitch it is so telegraphed (and lofted) it is easy to defend against especially when the target is Anis.
    It is interesting how we can be so creative, quick footed etc and yet that killer ball evaded us time and time again last time - the same as Rotherham. Is this an understanding thing with team mates or a panic thing?

• @prufrock_91 said:
    I think it absolutely hits Vokes arm then rolls down, but there's a crowd of players between the ref and the ball so understandable why it wasn't given. After the penalty call over the weekend, we were due a little break.

I thought it was going to be disallowed. Glad it wasn't. Glad we are VAR free.

• Is the bagginess of the nets causing anyone else issues? I twice celebrated "goals" last night that turned out to have landed on top of the goal/hit the side netting. Bit embarrassing

Didn't Jack Young do well when he came on last night? Looks like a great prospect.

And a quick word on Bayo - he's still a proper handful, we should be asking him I'd there's any way he'd consider postponing his retirement for a year. Let him do his TV bits, go to the Superbowl whatever. Use him for 10 or 15 minutes here or there. No-one else in the league has what he gives us when he comes on.

• @Wendoverman said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    I think it absolutely hits Vokes arm then rolls down, but there's a crowd of players between the ref and the ball so understandable why it wasn't given. After the penalty call over the weekend, we were due a little break.

I thought it was going to be disallowed. Glad it wasn't. Glad we are VAR free.

Imagine what it would be like on here if it had been given against us

• @RomanHats said:
    The ref gave fouls for little contact by our players all game and then let's that go in the last minute. Fleetwood fans have every right to be annoyed by that. Though we deserved the win on the balance of play, it was a valiant effort from their makeshift side.

Will be a different test on Saturday one imagines

Goalies get too much protection. > @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

A rare poor showing from Anthony Stewart yesterday. More a mark of his usual high standards admittedly but he certainly looked off his game.
    And am I the only one who gets frustrated with his long ball game? Whilst it is usually to the right area of the pitch it is so telegraphed (and lofted) it is easy to defend against especially when the target is Anis.
    It is interesting how we can be so creative, quick footed etc and yet that killer ball evaded us time and time again last time - the same as Rotherham. Is this an understanding thing with team mates or a panic thing?

He seemed to be trying to force it too much, hitting really long hopeful forward "passes in to areas" when better ball playing forward players could have been reached with a simple short pass, he also missed a few clearances and tackles and has been holding on to attackers in the last couple of games, not at his finest but clean sheets suggest effective to a point, he will come good again, is regularly superb.

• edited March 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Fleetwood are a horrible little club regardless of Barton. From their chairman using the club to endorse the Tories, to their shrug-of-the-shoulders response to the racist abuse aimed at Bayo (did they ever actually apologise for that?).

I always enjoy our trips to Fleetwood.

Of course he endorsed the Tories. At the time Labour were going to nationalise energy suppliers, which would have ended his ability to fund the club.

I suspect the lawyers advised against apologising, just as your insurer does if you are involved in an accident, but the FA's statement following our complaint mentioned that an independent expert in race relations concluded that “fat water buffalo” were not objectively racist words.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bit like my last season of village cricket. Home games only and if you are a man short morning of the game.

• That was a great result. I thought we played well and created quite a few reasonable chances against a team that defended with structure, pressed well out of possession and moved the ball well when in possession in our half. How do we break those teams down? We are unlikely to tempt them out of their deep positions and get in behind, although McCleary had the one on one first half.

So against a deep lying defence we need skilled players to play the ‘slip through’ ball which turns the defence, the ball that we see so often at the highest levels of the game, combined with anticipation and running off the ball to collect the pass. Or we need a player to make a one v one dribble and break through the defensive line. So Horgan, Mehmeti and GMac are very important to that system.

Third way to break through…get one in the mixer and head on, flick on or head in…and that’s how we scored. Old fashioned Wycombe!

So important to take the three points as once again the teams around us won. If we had drawn we would have been falling away from the play off chase. A few games ago I though seven wins from the final 12 games would get us into the playoffs with about 77 points. But, as teams around its keep winning, I think we need five more wins from eight games to get us to 80 points for the playoffs. Especially as our goal difference is inferior to others.

• Just a quick word for the person who arrived behind me on the terrace last night at half time with the words "these players are pissing me off tonight - we're so shit".

Who shouted at every single individual Wycombe player in the second half to "Fuck off" when they miscontrolled a pass, or lost out in a tackle.

Who yelled "Get him off" at regular intervals, and announced "This is embarassing" because we "can't beat a team of kids".

Who decided 10 minutes from the end that "We might as well put Stockdale up front".

Who did nothing else but abuse players, and offered not a single word of encouragement or support.

You didn't deserve to celebrate that glorious late winner.

Stand somewhere else next time.

• @Glenny said:
    Just a quick word for the person who arrived behind me on the terrace last night at half time with the words "these players are pissing me off tonight - we're so shit".

Who shouted at every single individual Wycombe player in the second half to "Fuck off" when they miscontrolled a pass, or lost out in a tackle.

Who yelled "Get him off" at regular intervals, and announced "This is embarassing" because we "can't beat a team of kids".

Who decided 10 minutes from the end that "We might as well put Stockdale up front".

Who did nothing else but abuse players, and offered not a single word of encouragement or support.

You get quite a few of those. Sad, really.

• There were quite a few idiots around me in the terrace last night, really did make me think whether I want to carry on going in there

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Glenny said:
    Just a quick word for the person who arrived behind me on the terrace last night at half time with the words "these players are pissing me off tonight - we're so shit".

You get quite a few of those. Sad, really.

This sounds very much like the guy who regularly stands behind me. He's at it every match. Not one uttering of anything positive but as soon as there is a misplaced pass or two he's yelling for "composure" and to "get him off". He was very pleased to see that Grimmer looked like he was coming on (for match-winner McCarthy, presumably), only to have it pointed out that it was in fact Jack Young coming on.