Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    A rare poor showing from Anthony Stewart yesterday. More a mark of his usual high standards admittedly but he certainly looked off his game.
    And am I the only one who gets frustrated with his long ball game? Whilst it is usually to the right area of the pitch it is so telegraphed (and lofted) it is easy to defend against especially when the target is Anis.
    It is interesting how we can be so creative, quick footed etc and yet that killer ball evaded us time and time again last time - the same as Rotherham. Is this an understanding thing with team mates or a panic thing?

I mentioned recently he doesn't seem to get much scrutiny for quite a lot of punts.

It is still a fair way removed though from a few years ago where the defenders were clearly told one touch then punt it anywhere asap

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Fleetwood are a horrible little club regardless of Barton. From their chairman using the club to endorse the Tories, to their shrug-of-the-shoulders response to the racist abuse aimed at Bayo (did they ever actually apologise for that?).

Happily employed Ched Evans and I'm sure another of their players had a bit of the Barton style back catalogue about him too.

Apart from all of that though, lovely club.

• edited March 2022

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Fleetwood are a horrible little club regardless of Barton. From their chairman using the club to endorse the Tories, to their shrug-of-the-shoulders response to the racist abuse aimed at Bayo (did they ever actually apologise for that?).

Happily employed Ched Evans and I'm sure another of their players had a bit of the Barton style back catalogue about him too.

Apart from all of that though, lovely club.

Oh shit, forget about Evans. That's automatic blacklisting behaviour.

• Fleetwood's visit to Accrington earlier this year saw numerous incidents of violent behaviour from their fans - from attacking people in the town ahead of the game, to smashing up the toilets in the away end. Amazed they have enough of a fanbase to include an idiotic hooligan element but there you go.

• @PBo said:
    For anyone complaining about ref decisions and when we don't get the rub of the green...bank the foul on the goalie from Vokes in your memory, then remember, "what comes around goes around".

My memory bank is already full of key decisions that have gone against us over the years, particularly in our season in the Championship…..Norwich and Luton away, Derby at home etc. I think we still have more entries in the debit column than the credit column.

• The most interesting thing for me about the match was the switch to playing the short ball out by Stockdale, the central defenders stroking it about to each other, then trying to play up through Scowen or Wing, through to Horgan to spread it wide to Mehmeti or McCleary, who would then either whip the ball in for Vokes or cut back for another of the attacking midfielders.

I remember us playing a variant of that style right at the start of the season when we were using a 3421 but it soon dropped away. It's great to see it return now we're 4231 and I hope we stick with it, even though it was a switch to 433 and lumping it up to three big strikers that eventually led to the goal. It's a very unWycombe way of playing but we certainly have the skilful players to pull it off at the moment. I've said this before but Horgan really is central to succeeding in this style - his vision, speed of thought and willingness to probe is key (Wheeler can also do this job but Horgan seems a little more inventive).

The new style does ask even more of the fullbacks as there's less cover for them when they bomb on but McCarthy's athleticism paid off nicely yesterday and it will be good to see the new system with Obita in place as well. The one issue that Fleetwood exposed well is our lack of pace in central defence, especially with JJ as fullback. I don't think we've seen a Taffazoli-Forino combo yet. I don't think Stewart should be dropped for Forino as we lose so much when he's not in the team. But I wonder if that switch might solve the pace issue in the short term.

• I’m a big fan of Obita who has been one of our most consistent players this season, but I think JJ has been excellent in the two games since Jordan’s absence.
    As Obita started his career as a winger, I wonder if we could accommodate both in the same team?

• edited March 2022

Would be nice to have a left-footed option in attack, something we lost with Kashket leaving. Mind you, Horgan is pretty much both-footed — as is GMac to a lesser extent.

• Mehmeti has been filling that role recently but he’s probably more at home in the central position.

• We’re in a great position aren’t we? One point off sixth, three points off fourth, eight to go.
    We should be taking 1000+ to Portsmouth.

• One worry for me was Stewart losing the ball a couple of times while hanging on to the ball a bit too long, but our tactics are improving.

• @floyd said:
    We’re in a great position aren’t we? One point off sixth, three points off fourth, eight to go.
    We should be taking 1000+ to Portsmouth.

Agreed. The importance of that winner is incredible.
    Portsmouth is a huge game at this point of the season anyway, but not having a fixture the next week makes it even more so to psychologically make sure we stay right up there.

• As the game wore on, the lack of a goal was frustrating, but it genuinely surprises me that anyone would refer to that game as turgid.

I’m enjoying us employing some more sophisticated methods and actually using that wonderful playing surface, as opposed to banging it to no-one in particular.

The issue again was shots vs shots on target, with some truly awful finishing.

Fleetwood put up a tremendous fight and showed some real quality coming forwards. And their centre back Nsiala was very impressive.

But thankfully after 10 points from 12, and only dropping points against the league leaders, there no longer appears to be ‘something not right at the club’. At least until the next defeat…

• agree @arnos_grove the Hanlan miss late on ( a late chance which really should have been it for Wycombe as a commentator might say) was particularly galling!

• What a brilliant 3 points, which were thoroughly deserved given our possession and intent over the evening.
    Our passing at times was very good and other times it was boring and sideways. When Scowen got the ball he was generally braver going forwards or very crisp when he intercepted and passed back to Stockdale. He really is some player.
    Horgan, Mehmeti and McCleary could add so much more to the side if they were allowed to switch regularly. All three can play left, right or central and I think they should be encouraged to switch reasonably regularly.
    The last 15 of normal time when Bayo came on was woeful. I still don't see how Bayo and Vokes can play together, they get in each others way and we sacrifice a midfielder or winger which means we struggle to know what to do.
    We got lucky last night in added time and regardless of the win, I still feel that goal would have come sooner if we'd left McCleary on and brought Vokes off instead.
    Funny that Vokes/Bayo combo has only worked against Fleetwood.

• Anyone know why the Fleetwood keepers boots seemed to pick up mud at a rate never seen before in human history. And on a pitch without any real mud on it.

Enjoyed the Fleetwood fans signing ‘we could have come in a taxi’ . A joy after recent scummy away fans.

Was anyone buying from the food outlets in the Woodlands at half time. There was no-one there when I popped down. The club can’t be happy with this

Patience was the key word last night. Some in the Woodlands stand had none and were raging when we moved it along the back four whilst then raging when we lumped it forward. Some people don’t deserve this current squad

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Patience was the key word last night. Some in the Woodlands stand had none and were raging when we moved it along the back four whilst then raging when we lumped it forward. Some people don’t deserve this current squad

True. I'm slightly baffled at how anyone could get their knickers in a twist about that game. Yes, there were a few too many unnecessary fouls, and yes, a few mistakes too, but we played well in a newish system and never looked particularly troubled after the first 10 minutes. Playing like that requires confidence, and hopefully that last minute winner will have given the players the confidence that they can play good football and win.

• RITM you’re right. It astonishes me that we are now getting criticism for over passing when previously there was so much abuse about our long ball tactics.
    The perfect formula is surely a combination of both styles.

• @drcongo said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

True. I'm slightly baffled at how anyone could get their knickers in a twist about that game. Yes, there were a few too many unnecessary fouls, and yes, a few mistakes too, but we played well in a newish system and never looked particularly troubled after the first 10 minutes. Playing like that requires confidence, and hopefully that last minute winner will have given the players the confidence that they can play good football and win.

It reminded me of some games under Saint Martin. Playing the same way and trusting the end result. Knowing it will come eventually. That does take confidence and a self belief some of our moronic fans will never understand. I enjoyed our performance last night and thought Fleetwood did ok too.

• There used to be a fan near me (in League Two days) who used to rant and rave about long ball tactics but if the centre backs took it forward would yell 'Get ****ing rid of it!!!'

• @Wendoverman said:
    There used to be a fan near me (in League Two days) who used to rant and rave about long ball tactics but if the centre backs took it forward would yell 'Get ****ing rid of it!!!'

Heard those exact rantings last night. Last night should never have been a getting angry kind of night. These post lockdown times do seem to have made people madder when they leave the house though.

• Like Shrewsbury....if we had had no shots on goal I would be shaking my head...but things being off target or saved or blocked in a football match does not mean we are crap in my book.

• Someone in the FA flicked between shouting "get it forward" when the defenders/Scowen were passing patiently amongst themselves and "keep it on the floor" when we went a bit longer. Couldn't work out what he wanted.

If my calculations are right then I think we've only lost 2 games against teams outside the top 10 (P23, W16, D5, L2). With 5 of our last 8 games being against teams outside the top 10, and 2 of our remaining 3 'harder' matches at home, I really do fancy our chances of making the play offs. Hopefully we've hit some form at the right time

• People who want direct stuff when we’re playing possession, and possession when we go direct are either a) a bit clueless or b) generally angry.

They aren’t worth bothering with but are often very loud.

• Football fans in 'not having a clue what they're talking about' shocker

• We played well but still need someone who can regularly take chances. So many chances last night went high and wide. I also thought Fleetwood were very good at conning the ref, several instances of players collapsing to the floor screaming in pain, when they looked as if they were losing the ball.

• The absolute pinnacle of Wycombe fan reactions for me was in 2004 when Swindon rocked up at Adams Park at the back end of the season we’d been relegated under Adams whilst Swindon were pushing for automatic promotion. Sam Parkin and his team mates put us through one of the most professional 3-0 shellackings I’ve ever seen.

Swindon took an early 1-0 lead and then dominated proceedings to the final whistle. Two teams at polar opposites of the quality and confidence spectrum.

One fan turned to me and the people next to me in the terrace towards the end of the game as the third went in. “Can’t see how these guys are in the playoffs, I really can’t!”

DOFL was invented for those moments.

• @aloysius said:
    The most interesting thing for me about the match was the switch to playing the short ball out by Stockdale, the central defenders stroking it about to each other, then trying to play up through Scowen or Wing, through to Horgan to spread it wide to Mehmeti or McCleary, who would then either whip the ball in for Vokes or cut back for another of the attacking midfielders.

I remember us playing a variant of that style right at the start of the season when we were using a 3421 but it soon dropped away. It's great to see it return now we're 4231 and I hope we stick with it, even though it was a switch to 433 and lumping it up to three big strikers that eventually led to the goal. It's a very unWycombe way of playing but we certainly have the skilful players to pull it off at the moment. I've said this before but Horgan really is central to succeeding in this style - his vision, speed of thought and willingness to probe is key (Wheeler can also do this job but Horgan seems a little more inventive).

The new style does ask even more of the fullbacks as there's less cover for them when they bomb on but McCarthy's athleticism paid off nicely yesterday and it will be good to see the new system with Obita in place as well. The one issue that Fleetwood exposed well is our lack of pace in central defence, especially with JJ as fullback. I don't think we've seen a Taffazoli-Forino combo yet. I don't think Stewart should be dropped for Forino as we lose so much when he's not in the team. But I wonder if that switch might solve the pace issue in the short term.

Horgan is different class; he’s quick, has excellent close control, takes players on and and picks some good passes. Not as good in the air as Wheeler but, overall, is the better player. Only disappointment is that he has only scored one goal this season. He was a fairly prolific goalscorer at several of his previous clubs but seems to have lost the knack during his time at Adams Park.
    Cue a hat trick at Fratton Park!