Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm not normally a fan of booing, but it was entirely understandable today - can be quite instinctive, not necessarily intentionally malicious.

Strongly disagree with booing our own players or manager, especially this set of players and manager.

Today was poor but I hate booing my team. It adds nothing and I see no positive from it.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Manager decided on team shock? Chairman to write open letter.

It's more that he could have said "oohh Stewie has been nursing a knock and Taf has (make some crap up here), instead of implying it's a selection choice.

• @eric_plant said:

@prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Nope, not having it.

These players don't deserve tantrums being thrown by fans with a sense of entitlement. They need to grow up

Fans pay money, and at such a shocking display are entitled to get annoyed at the final whistle.

The "we pay our money" nonsense is the weakest argument ever

It's simply not. If fans were booing mid game, then it'd be an issue. But after a match it's perfectly reasonable to vocalise annoyance.

• Unlike Gaz to be as snappy as that sounds (would be good to hear audio)

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Unlike Gaz to be as snappy as that sounds (would be good to hear audio)

Exactly, toneless words don't give any sense of the mood.

He could easily have saying it with a resigned sign, well...I make the decisions, and that's football etc.

Trying to protect the defence, including a very young guy whose morale it's essential to keep up.
    Possibly why he's not said the two of them are injured, as it'd make others feel they are the stand ins.(Even if they are!)

• Have we changed manager? Earlier we had Gareth, that changed to GA and now he is Ainsworth. Some players have changed too in the same way

• @HCblue said:
    I'm not a booer and probably never will be but if I was ever going to boo, it would have been today. We showed our disapproval by not clapping at the end.

Weird game but very frustrating, far more so than if we'd just been well beaten by a bigger better team.

• A[art from the last post...good for you.

• edited February 2022

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Unlike Gaz to be as snappy as that sounds (would be good to hear audio)

Exactly, toneless words don't give any sense of the mood.

He could easily have saying it with a resigned sign, well...I make the decisions, and that's football etc.

Trying to protect the defence, including a very young guy whose morale it's essential to keep up.
    Possibly why he's not said the two of them are injured, as it'd make others feel they are the stand ins.(Even if they are!)

I'm sure so wonderfully positive a communicator as Gareth would be well able to inform the fans about the physical state of some players without negatively affecting the psyches of the others.

• @prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:

@prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Nope, not having it.

These players don't deserve tantrums being thrown by fans with a sense of entitlement. They need to grow up

Fans pay money, and at such a shocking display are entitled to get annoyed at the final whistle.

It's simply not. If fans were booing mid game, then it'd be an issue. But after a match it's perfectly reasonable to vocalise annoyance.

The tantrums continue on here

• @wwfcblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm not normally a fan of booing, but it was entirely understandable today - can be quite instinctive, not necessarily intentionally malicious.

Strongly disagree with booing our own players or manager, especially this set of players and manager.

Today was poor but I hate booing my team. It adds nothing and I see no positive from it.

I don't take any pleasure in doing, but sometimes - very rarely in my case - the annoyance builds up to the point that you can't help but vocalise it.

• Appreciate BFP are fishing here, but no need for the club’s head of media to bite here. Feels like something is off in-house.

Need a win.

• Very disappointed with result but I saw some great attacking play today and five fantastic goals (and even an excellent performance from an opponent) so booing seemed pointless to me.

• Genuine question as I’m not familiar with the poster. Is it a pretty trustworthy source?

• @Jonny said:

Genuine question as I’m not familiar with the poster. Is it a pretty trustworthy source?

I don't know, was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light

• @wwfcblue said:
    It’s great to score five goals at home but our lack of defensive cover has been obvious all season.

To not strengthen our defence in January was a gamble that is looking like it might cost us dearly in the last three months of the season.

The defending today was awful, yet we leave one of the best CB’s in League One on the bench.

Leading 5-4 we take off a defender and replace him with an attacker. Surely we should have brought Stewart on for one of the two defenders on a yellow card.

We play like this on Tuesday and we will get

had 2 goal leads twice and still left our best defender on the bench..Ainsworth is a joke.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    We are playing extremely naive football at the moment. Is there a message from the top to attack at all costs for 'entertainment'? Rob doesn't seem like an interfering chairman and Gaz wouldn't take that, so I'm sure there's not, but you do wonder. That was completely unacceptable today.

It's almost exactly a year ago the chairman sent a public letter to the fans telling us what tactics he expected from the team; the letter following a private conversation with Gareth which I imagine followed similar lines.

If your strategy is to boost worldwide support and subscriptions to streams of the matches then it makes absolute sense to demand entertaining football - people are far more likely to subscribe to teams drawing 5-5 then grinding out a 1-0 win.

Last season Gareth changed tactics to the wingback system almost immediately after the letter and it really worked. But perhaps a bit more balance in the midfield this season might have paid more dividends.

• I love my team and I will not boo them but 3 points out of a possible 15 is not good enough

• @davecz said:
    It will be interesting to see if Ainsworth is asked about why Stewart wasn’t brought on at 5-3 to see out the game. Time Phil to ask Ainsworth some difficult questions about his tactical substitutions in this game.

Never going to happen..for years no one working for the club has asked the difficult question

• God...some comments that on here that would not look out of place on the Sunderland forum tonight. Think I'll draw a veil before anyone starts demanding a sacking!

• @Jonny said:

Genuine question as I’m not familiar with the poster. Is it a pretty trustworthy source?

He's got 80 followers, so I'd say he's almost impossible not to believe.

• What a mess, will see what plays out but Ainsworth isn't an idiot and will know losing points because you want to make a point can't carry on for long.

• edited February 2022

@Malone said:

@Jonny said:

No smoke without fire and all that - you can tell something's not right at the moment

• edited February 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny said:

No smoke without fire and all that - you can tell something's not right at the moment

It could be true, or it could be some non entity online nobody making something of nothing.

It is very odd for Forino to be keeping Stewart out though.

• What worries me is whatever is going off the field with Stewart/Tafazoli (it's fairly clear something has happened) could end up costing us a play off spot. It needs to be put to bed immediately because our defence was an absolute shambles today without them.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny said:

It could be true, or it could be some non entity online nobody making something of nothing.

It is very odd for Forino to be keeping Stewart out though.

That second part is what's telling. Slight knock and no other senior defenders fit? Maybe you make the bench in case of absolute emergency - but not three games running. All very peculiar.

• @eric_plant said:

@prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Nope, not having it.

Yeah, really bugs me when people bang on about their right to know how long players are going to be out for too.

• Never booed wycombe and never will , fans frustrated at ainsworth would say.

• If I am to.understand Troll Night correctly...that Ainsworth who never gets criticised or asked difficult questions except when he is being told how to play in letters by the Chairman is punishing the players that would have won the game for us today?