Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• What angers me is not the Stewart or Taff's situation but the odd substitutions, the poor tactics especially in the second half and the appalling game management

• When we have runs of results like this I am generally reminded of why Ainsworth hasn't got a job at a bigger club. His skill as a motivator is phenomenal, but I really wonder about his tactical nous. Today's team, and substitutions, seemed almost out of the Kevin Keegan school of management.

• edited February 2022

Struggling to figure out what was worse.

Maybe leaving the defence so exposed with Thommo and Horgan legging it all over the place.

Or, Stockdale and JJs showing.

Perhaps having about 9 attackers on at the end without knowing how to get it to their feet.

Or, putting McCleary on as a WB.

Treating Forino, who has played well in a few games, like he's the messiah and leaving him alone at times.

The most angry I've been in a long while watching Wycombe

• edited February 2022

We are playing extremely naive football at the moment. Is there a message from the top to attack at all costs for 'entertainment'? Rob doesn't seem like an interfering chairman and Gaz wouldn't take that, so I'm sure there's not, but you do wonder. That was completely unacceptable today.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Erroll_Sims said:
    Oh come on @ReturnToSenda you surely know what a curates egg is?

Nope, never heard it in my life

Keep forgetting how young you are compared to many of us on here...

From a pretty decent Wikipedia entry - A "curate's egg" is something described as partly bad and partly good. In its original usage, it referred to something that is obviously and entirely bad, but is described out of politeness as nonetheless having good features that redeem it. This meaning has been largely supplanted by its less ironic modern usage, which refers to something that is in fact an indeterminate mix of good and bad, possibly with a preponderance of bad qualities

• @Erroll_Sims said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Erroll_Sims said:
    Oh come on @ReturnToSenda you surely know what a curates egg is?

Nope, never heard it in my life

Keep forgetting how young you are compared to many of us on here...

From a pretty decent Wikipedia entry - A "curate's egg" is something described as partly bad and partly good. In its original usage, it referred to something that is obviously and entirely bad, but is described out of politeness as nonetheless having good features that redeem it. This meaning has been largely supplanted by its less ironic modern usage, which refers to something that is in fact an indeterminate mix of good and bad, possibly with a preponderance of bad qualities

You learn something new every day! But yeah, that pretty much sums up Stocko's afternoon.

• Clearly we needed defensive cover in January. How many games does Taff miss? Is he injured or dropped? Is Stewart injured?

• It's not the individuals; it's the absence of any discernible structure and apparent lack of communication.

• That is where some wiser older head in the centre of defensive is needed if only to "direct the troops".

• As I've said earlier, we're work in progress for a couple of years before we can mount a serious challenge on promotion (and I mean promotion not the lottery of the playoffs). We've an aging core that will need to be replaced and that will take time. Meanwhile, the opposition teams/managers have sussed us completely and we're likely to struggle until we have the quality to change shape/style and dominate games to a solid 4-0 conclusion regularly. We sadly also seem to have lost the never say die attitude and are just running around like headless chickens toward the end of games now. Amazing we beat LC so well TBH. There seems little point in having quality like Vokes to knock down into space if we cant take the gamble of thinking ahead and running into that space. Sigh. Very frustrating and not an enjoyable watch for me. Very worried about Tuesday now, could be embarrassing.

• edited February 2022

Not the individuals in general. Today certainly wasn't JJ's finest hour.

• Wind made defending a lottery today. A game like that you need defenders on the pitch in their familiar positions. We didn’t and paid the price

• One of the things that perplexes me pretty much every game is how so many of our headers go to the opposition, but so many of the oppositions seem to find their man.

• 47% of the total shots went in today

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    As I've said earlier, we're work in progress for a couple of years before we can mount a serious challenge on promotion (and I mean promotion not the lottery of the playoffs). We've an aging core that will need to be replaced and that will take time. Meanwhile, the opposition teams/managers have sussed us completely and we're likely to struggle until we have the quality to change shape/style and dominate games to a solid 4-0 conclusion regularly. We sadly also seem to have lost the never say die attitude and are just running around like headless chickens toward the end of games now. Amazing we beat LC so well TBH. There seems little point in having quality like Vokes to knock down into space if we cant take the gamble of thinking ahead and running into that space. Sigh. Very frustrating and not an enjoyable watch for me. Very worried about Tuesday now, could be embarrassing.

I think we'll get absolutely torn apart by Wigan

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    What’s happened to Taffazolli?

Permanent knock!

• GMac for JJ was a terrible sub. We should have gone with a back 4 at 5-3 and seen it out comfortably.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@ValleyWanderer said:
    As I've said earlier, we're work in progress for a couple of years before we can mount a serious challenge on promotion (and I mean promotion not the lottery of the playoffs). We've an aging core that will need to be replaced and that will take time. Meanwhile, the opposition teams/managers have sussed us completely and we're likely to struggle until we have the quality to change shape/style and dominate games to a solid 4-0 conclusion regularly. We sadly also seem to have lost the never say die attitude and are just running around like headless chickens toward the end of games now. Amazing we beat LC so well TBH. There seems little point in having quality like Vokes to knock down into space if we cant take the gamble of thinking ahead and running into that space. Sigh. Very frustrating and not an enjoyable watch for me. Very worried about Tuesday now, could be embarrassing.

I think we'll get absolutely torn apart by Wigan

I thought we'd batter Cheltenham. There is clearly no rhyme or reason to anything here

• Guaranteed 0-0 with Wigan now.

• Freak game, the wind clearly stronger than anyone there realised from the stand.
    Stewart must have some sort of knock as you don't go with a very green youngster over him otherwise.

Wheeler at right wing back totally didn't work either.

Beautiful goal between Kaikai and Hanlan, and when you score 5 everything can't have been that bad, but conceding 5 to such a weak team is abysmal.

• Ps I think we thank Horgan for his efforts and see him on his way this summer. Hasn't worked really.

• @Quarterman said:
    Some other random thoughts. Stockdale is a worry, are his other interests affecting his performance?

I had wondered this - reeks of the Ben Foster situation at Watford, although Stocko hasn't got injured playing for Hashtag United (which was the rumour with Foster) yet!

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    GMac for JJ was a terrible sub. We should have gone with a back 4 at 5-3 and seen it out comfortably.

Yes especially considering it also took Obita out of any attack who was involved in a couple of goals

• To score five such great goals and not win is just gutting. Stocko, JJ were quite poor today. Hoofing the ball up.in the air when the wind is against you is bad defending I think. Second half we should have kept it down and we would have held on. Seems bizarre that we were not the team grinding out a result against the odds. Poor run but still in it. Alfie May has done himself no harm.

• Am I allowed to say that I don't think we'll ever establish ourselves as a Championship side without quite a radical style change?

• Woeful that today. We look completely shite in defence these days and simply put you very rarely get promotion with a weak defence. I’d love to know what Stewart must have done to upset the management if he is behind todays back 3 in the pecking order.

• I think you're allowed to say what you want @ReturnToSenda

• It will be interesting to see if Ainsworth is asked about why Stewart wasn’t brought on at 5-3 to see out the game. Time Phil to ask Ainsworth some difficult questions about his tactical substitutions in this game.

• I think we’ll go back 4 on Tuesday (but which 4 are fit?). Scowen comes back in alongside Thompson. 4-2-3-1