Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• I am frustrated with the result, but that would have been an amazing game for a neutral (or Cheltenham fan). Just wish we had gone 5-4 down if we had to draw 5-5.

It's a weird phase of the season, but we are still right in it.

• edited February 2022

I think Gareth is awesome - just look at Tuesday and how he gave the LC players and manager loads of his time. A lot of managers wouldn’t have bothered going for a tie like that.

I do wonder if we don’t get promoted whether he’ll come under real scrutiny from RC, as the expectation is clearly that we go up.

• @drcongo said:

@eric_plant said:

@prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Nope, not having it.

These players don't deserve tantrums being thrown by fans with a sense of entitlement. They need to grow up

Fans pay money, and at such a shocking display are entitled to get annoyed at the final whistle.

The "we pay our money" nonsense is the weakest argument ever

Yeah, really bugs me when people bang on about their right to know how long players are going to be out for too.

Cool

• It’s like reading a Sunderland fanzine here tonight! We have gone from failing to score to scoring 5 but conceding 5. Yes some below par performances tonight, yes maybe the tactics didn’t quite work but WWFC is better than all this negativity. Together we win, together we lose, today together we drew. Tuesday is our next battle

• @Commoner said:
    What a frustrating afternoon. It was like we had all four seasons in one game the way we played. Sublime to the ridiculous.

Kaikai was brilliant in the 10 role. I’d happily see him play there again or even up top in a 2.

Typical Ainsworth and Dobson today when we’re on a bad run. It’s like they pull 11 names out of the hat and that’s the starting XI. Mysterious substitutions. Completely unbalanced starting XI and finishing XI.

The 5 Cheltenham goals were all down to us not reacting or players not playing in their normal positions.

1 - JJ & Forino mistakes

2 - foul on Kaikai but Wheeler wrong footed and Grimmer slow to react.

3 - what was Horgan doing he is not a center mid to be trusted to do the defensive work. You cannot let the ball bounce there.

4 - brilliant from May but who was tracking him back?

5 - would Jacobson have made such a poor header at the back post? Obita is not a centre back in a 3.

All in all two pints dropped and could really cost us dear. However, I fully expect Ainsworth and Dobbo to completely change the system & personnel Tuesday and we will get three points.

I expect it will be 4-2-3-1

Stockdale
    Grimmer Stewart Forino Jacobson
    Scowen Thompson
    McCleary Kaikai Obita
    Vokes

I agree with your post overall but I certainly don’t think that all 4 of Stockdale, Grimmer, Forino and Jacobson deserve to start the next match.

Back 4 of McCarthy / Stewart / Anyone On The Planet / Obita for me next time out.

• @Jonny said:

Genuine question as I’m not familiar with the poster. Is it a pretty trustworthy source?

I did hear a story that he was in Revs. He was in the gym the same night and absolutely fine.

• Pretty hard to go to Revs and be subtle about it too - someone will be able to confirm.

• I have my doubts about Thompson for Tuesday. He looked knackered and shot by the end even though he wanted to carry on after being subbed for Wing.

• At least Scowen is fresh and available for that one. Though ideally we'd have him and Thompson as a proper double block. We can't even think about being as open in that one.

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    I think Gareth is awesome - just look at Tuesday and how he gave the LC players and manager loads of his time. A lot of managers wouldn’t have bothered going for a tie like that.

I do wonder if we don’t get promoted whether he’ll come under real scrutiny from RC, as the expectation is clearly that we go up

I may have missed recent comments from RC and if so I apologise but I thought the message was that the initial aspiration was to be a sustainable league 1 Club - this I believe they are achieving.
    It was fantastic being a Championship side last season and we are still in contention for a play off place this season - only a few seasons ago we were staring at the abyss and I always remind myself of this when we have a frustrating result ! we’ve been on a poor run, but we are still a very good league 1 team, with a brilliant management team and very supportive owners - I personally don’t think there will be any scrutinising whatsoever even if we don’t make the playoffs this season.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Pretty hard to go to Revs and be subtle about it too - someone will be able to confirm.

Obviously it still classifies as a "rumour" coming from me, but I have it on good authority that it is true. Let's put it this way, how we was in the gym - he was not injured.

• edited February 2022

@Ceefax_Striker said:

@PrinceOfCrowell said:

I do wonder if we don’t get promoted whether he’ll come under real scrutiny from RC, as the expectation is clearly that we go up

I may have missed recent comments from RC and if so I apologise but I thought the message was that the initial aspiration was to be a sustainable league 1 Club - this I believe they are achieving.
    It was fantastic being a Championship side last season and we are still in contention for a play off place this season - only a few seasons ago we were staring at the abyss and I always remind myself of this when we have a frustrating result ! we’ve been on a poor run, but we are still a very good league 1 team, with a brilliant management team and very supportive owners - I personally don’t think there will be any scrutinising whatsoever even if we don’t make the playoffs this season.

I think you've basically not listened to anything Couhig has said all season.
    He's constantly saying everything is geared towards the championship. It's a very clear short term aim.> @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny said:

Genuine question as I’m not familiar with the poster. Is it a pretty trustworthy source?

He's got 80 followers, so I'd say he's almost impossible not to believe.

No smoke without fire and all that - you can tell something's not right at the moment

It could be true, or it could be some non entity online nobody making something of nothing.

It is very odd for Forino to be keeping Stewart out though.

I don't really understand this seemingly common view now that Forino is keeping Stewart out. In my opinion Forino and Stewart is the ideal partnership, and better than the Stewart Taff duo, particularly as Taff seems to be somewhat fragile injury wise.

We don't play a back 4 though, so there is no talk of a back 2 combo, as we very very rarely field one.

I don't understand anyone who thinks Forino is better than Taf, or is a better combo with Stewart when we've not even seen it yet.
    Massive mistake goal 1, bullied v Rotherham, and he's only played a handful of games.

He has good potential, but Taf and Stewart are amongst the better centre backs in the league.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny said:

No smoke without fire and all that - you can tell something's not right at the moment

It could be true, or it could be some non entity online nobody making something of nothing.

I don't really understand this seemingly common view now that Forino is keeping Stewart out. In my opinion Forino and Stewart is the ideal partnership, and better than the Stewart Taff duo, particularly as Taff seems to be somewhat fragile injury wise.

• Some of the reactions on here are as bonkers as the game itself.

• edited February 2022

By the by, I haven't noticed anyone else mention it so let me ask whether anyone else had the feeling it would be a cold day in hell before the referee or linesmen gave us the benefit of any 50/50 call today?

• At the risk of being controversial but thinking of the future and our development, how do we become a Coventry (no stadium jokes) or indeed, dare I say, a Luton? Coventry were another imperious team for some time and certainly in our PPG promotion season. They were a pure joy to watch, obtained proper promotion and they've maintained their Championship status. Luton, well, they were just so solid and are still Championship. They could both also put teams to the sword, which we simply can't do (and haven't for years). Is it just money? Luck? Management style? Even Oxford smashed Charlton today with apparent ease. We don't really look at the races in comparison.

• @floyd said:
    Some of the reactions on here are as bonkers as the game itself.

It was a mad day.
    Some superb attacking play, that we haven't seen for ages, but counter balanced with the worst defending of the season. The wind certainly played its part, there was no coincidence that we conceded 4 with the wind against us, but just a bonkers day all round.

It's the way it's followed a run of poor results that has people worried.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    At the risk of being controversial but thinking of the future and our development, how do we become a Coventry (no stadium jokes) or indeed, dare I say, a Luton? Coventry were another imperious team for some time and certainly in our PPG promotion season. They were a pure joy to watch, obtained proper promotion and they've maintained their Championship status. Luton, well, they were just so solid and are still Championship. They could both also put teams to the sword, which we simply can't do (and haven't for years). Is it just money? Luck? Management style? Even Oxford smashed Charlton today with apparent ease. We don't really look at the races in comparison.

You better ask Sunderland supporters!

• Tactically competent management for a start @ValleyWanderer..... What was that sub at 5-3 about?.... I've been told Taf was in revs and Stewart stuck up for him from a few people today. If that is the case probably time to swallow your pride Ainsworth.

• The only way out of a poor run of results is a good run of results. Not looking very likely really.

• @Malone said:

@floyd said:

It was a mad day.
    Some superb attacking play, that we haven't seen for ages, but counter balanced with the worst defending of the season. The wind certainly played its part, there was no coincidence that we conceded 4 with the wind against us, but just a bonkers day all round.

There’s some distance between being worried about our poor form, as I am, and constructing ‘Taff goes wild in Beaconsfield.’

• edited February 2022

There’s some distance between being worried about our poor form, as I am, and constructing ‘Taff goes wild in Beaconsfield.’

Well yes. Some half wit has made a rumour up and it's going around some of the usuals like wildfire, and then suddenly it's "i heard it from xx people" as if it legitimises one person making it up.

• edited February 2022

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:

It was a mad day.

Doesn't sound particularly constructed

• @Malone said:

@Ceefax_Striker said:

@PrinceOfCrowell said:

He's constantly saying everything is geared towards the championship. It's a very clear short term aim.> @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny said:

We don't play a back 4 though, so there is no talk of a back 2 combo, as we very very rarely field one.

I don't understand anyone who thinks Forino is better than Taf, or is a better combo with Stewart when we've not even seen it yet.
    Massive mistake goal 1, bullied v Rotherham, and he's only played a handful of games.

He has good potential, but Taf and Stewart are amongst the better centre backs in the league.

Thank you for clearing that up Malone - as I said I apologise if I have missed or misinterpreted comments from MC, possibly in my thoughts the Championship comments were just a vehicle for the Derby dispute, but of course I may be wrong, my main feelings for my post were geared to the scrutinisation comment of GA of which I believe just won’t happen after a short term run of mediocre results.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:

It was a mad day.

It’s the sort of madgabs that surrounds every team out of form.

• @floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:

It was a mad day.

Don't you think it's just a little bit odd that our best defender has suddenly spent the last three games on the bench?

• edited February 2022

@Ceefax_Striker said:

@Malone said:

@Ceefax_Striker said:

@PrinceOfCrowell said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny said:

Thank you for clearing that up Malone - as I said I apologise if I have missed or misinterpreted comments from MC, possibly in my thoughts the Championship comments were just a vehicle for the Derby dispute, but of course I may be wrong, my main feelings for my post were geared to the scrutinisation comment of GA of which I believe just won’t happen after a short term run of mediocre results.

I wouldn't have thought so either.
    But he was pretty stern late on last season issuing that rallying call saying we're not down, he expects us to stay up etc.

That was a very clear message he's not just here as everyone's favourite uncle. He means business.

• @floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:

It was a mad day.

Give it a couple more bad results and it'll be the classic "lost the dressing room" talk from a few.