Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

1111213141517»

Comments

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Earlier in the season I was castigated for my criticism of Taff and even I’m missing him!

Your criticism seemed to be based on a weird jealousy and objection to his social media activities though ;)

• @Malone said:

Your criticism seemed to be based on a weird jealousy and objection to his social media activities though ;)

At the time I felt this was a somewhat perverse analysis of my opinions.
    My initial criticism centred on his ponderous (or more positively ‘languid’) on-field manner, his turning circle (I’ve seen milk turn quicker) and his lack of team / fan acknowledgement general esprit
    de corps - all football related.
    When pushed yes I did suggest he needed to concentrate more on playing football for us rather than filming gym bunny videos and life style posts in the interest of improving his contribution.
    Interesting that the recent scurrilous social media criticisms homed in on his off field activities - he has, unfortunately, provided the fuel for the trolls.
    My observation would be that of all the squad he is the least Gaz-like in his demeanour and perhaps he is now paying the price.

• As an interesting perspective on Cheltenham, they have lost just once in their last nine games (1-0 to the leaders Rotherham) and in that spell they took points off Wigan, Sunderland, Oxford, Wycombe and Burton, all teams in the top half of the table. Perhaps the result-if not the manner of the result-wasn’t as bad as we thought.

• If you've been two goals up twice at home to Cheltenham in the same game it's disappointing to not win the game.

I agree with all you say about keeping perspective, looking at the bigger picture and not overreacting (and certainly about booing) but you must realise that surely?

• It took me a while, well into Saturday evening, to get some perspective it is true...not often I swear at the footy...

• @eric_plant said:
    If you've been two goals up twice at home to Cheltenham in the same game it's disappointing to not win the game.

I agree with all you say about keeping perspective, looking at the bigger picture and not overreacting (and certainly about booing) but you must realise that surely?

Absolutely, and I did differentiate between the result and the manner of the result, but I was surprised to discover that Cheltenham’s recent form has been so impressive.

• Michael Duff would be right up there with my preferred successors to Gaz. What he's got them doing in attacking sense having only come up last season is mightily impressive - if not for some sub-par goalkeeping earlier in the season (from Scott Flinders, who got dropped a while ago), they'd probably be comfortably in the top half. Never expected to turn them over, but you don't blow two two-goal leads in the same game!

• But does Michael Duff succeed because of his long historical link with Cheltenham (300 games)? My guess is if he continues to manage a club so effectively he may well end up as the eventual successor to Sean Dyche at Burnley (for whom he also played 342 games).

I’d love to see WW sign Alfie May (a Kent boy) who, at 28, is in his prime. However, I can’t see how he would fit into our style of play?

• edited February 2022

Being popular with the fans from your playing days is always going to help, but good coaches succeed by being just that! Admittedly some do 'just fit' at a certain club.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I suppose the booing problem is that Sam Vokes and Jordan Obita, who both scored two great goals and put in a good performance might feel somewhat deflated to be booed off...or called names by Stokesey and his podcasting posse.

This is the problem with booing, it’s a very rare day when the whole team plus subs play poorly so why should they all have to suffer from fans’ anger and frustration? The only possible justification for booing is if the players have not tried their best and that’s an accusation that could never be levelled at our team.

When I said I might be tempted to boo, my intention (which in the light of the above comments I realise I should have made clear) was to do so whilst the ball was in full flight and only after a significant number of aerial balls forward had been returned to our own half. It would require careful choreography. Inappropriate timing - eg when substituted players are leaving the pitch should be met with fierce frowns from neighbouring spectators.