Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• @Ceefax_Striker said:

@Malone said:

@Ceefax_Striker said:

@PrinceOfCrowell said:
    I think Gareth is awesome - just look at Tuesday and how he gave the LC players and manager loads of his time. A lot of managers wouldn’t have bothered going for a tie like that.

I do wonder if we don’t get promoted whether he’ll come under real scrutiny from RC, as the expectation is clearly that we go up

I may have missed recent comments from RC and if so I apologise but I thought the message was that the initial aspiration was to be a sustainable league 1 Club - this I believe they are achieving.
    It was fantastic being a Championship side last season and we are still in contention for a play off place this season - only a few seasons ago we were staring at the abyss and I always remind myself of this when we have a frustrating result ! we’ve been on a poor run, but we are still a very good league 1 team, with a brilliant management team and very supportive owners - I personally don’t think there will be any scrutinising whatsoever even if we don’t make the playoffs this season.

I think you've basically not listened to anything Couhig has said all season.
    He's constantly saying everything is geared towards the championship. It's a very clear short term aim.> @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny said:

Genuine question as I’m not familiar with the poster. Is it a pretty trustworthy source?

He's got 80 followers, so I'd say he's almost impossible not to believe.

No smoke without fire and all that - you can tell something's not right at the moment

It could be true, or it could be some non entity online nobody making something of nothing.

It is very odd for Forino to be keeping Stewart out though.

I don't really understand this seemingly common view now that Forino is keeping Stewart out. In my opinion Forino and Stewart is the ideal partnership, and better than the Stewart Taff duo, particularly as Taff seems to be somewhat fragile injury wise.

We don't play a back 4 though, so there is no talk of a back 2 combo, as we very very rarely field one.

I don't understand anyone who thinks Forino is better than Taf, or is a better combo with Stewart when we've not even seen it yet.
    Massive mistake goal 1, bullied v Rotherham, and he's only played a handful of games.

He has good potential, but Taf and Stewart are amongst the better centre backs in the league.

Thank you for clearing that up Malone - as I said I apologise if I have missed or misinterpreted comments from MC, possibly in my thoughts the Championship comments were just a vehicle for the Derby dispute, but of course I may be wrong, my main feelings for my post were geared to the scrutinisation comment of GA of which I believe just won’t happen after a short term run of mediocre results.

To be fair, I didn’t suggest Gareth would face scrutiny from RC after a short term run of results.

I said he might if we don’t achieve promotion, which arC has made pretty clear he wants this season.

• @Malone said:

There’s some distance between being worried about our poor form, as I am, and constructing ‘Taff goes wild in Beaconsfield.’

Well yes. Some half wit has made a rumour up and it's going around some of the usuals like wildfire, and then suddenly it's "i heard it from xx people" as if it legitimises one person making it up.

If it helps - it was a friend of my brothers' who showed us pictures. It happened whether you think it did or didn't. What we dont know is whether this is the reason for his absence.

Whilst it is not the sole reason we are not picking up points, if Taff's actions have resulted in Stewart not playing too, then I'd say it has gone some way to contributing to it.

• Feeling frustrated that we’ve not seen more of Horgan and Kai Kai. Both were excellent today in my opinion, but have hardly played all season. Had we known Gape would be out more or less all season I’m sure we’d have had another CM in the squad rather than being so overloaded with attacking midfielders that are sat on the bench.

We simply can’t concede 5 at home and surrender a two-goal lead twice if we want to go up. For most of the season my feeling has been that we’d probably end up a losing play off team. But at the moment it is pretty hard to see us finishing in the top 6.

You have to give May credit for some exceptional finishing. But my god some of that defensive play is dreadful on the highlights.

• Some massive over reactions on here today! Who are we to think that this would be an easy match? Cheltenham have had some impressive results recently against top sides, this was always a tough fixture.

That match itself was hugely entertaining, but dominated by the farcical and freakish conditions. Both teams struggled with the wind and when you have sets of forwards in great form, you're gonna get goals. No doubting our defending was abysmal, but all this moaning about Forino starting, sorry I just don't get it. The lad's been great recently, it would have been very tough to drop him after last week would it not?

It was frustrating today of course, but there were clear plus points. Horgan ran the show at times in the 1st half. Kaikai got 2 great assists, Obita was superb, as was Vokes at times. Yeah I'd have loved a scrappy win, but short of that, this was certainly a memorable game.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:
    Some of the reactions on here are as bonkers as the game itself.

It was a mad day.
    Some superb attacking play, that we haven't seen for ages, but counter balanced with the worst defending of the season. The wind certainly played its part, there was no coincidence that we conceded 4 with the wind against us, but just a bonkers day all round.

It's the way it's followed a run of poor results that has people worried.

There’s some distance between being worried about our poor form, as I am, and constructing ‘Taff goes wild in Beaconsfield.’

Doesn't sound particularly constructed

It’s the sort of madgabs that surrounds every team out of form.

Don't you think it's just a little bit odd that our best defender has suddenly spent the last three games on the bench?

I think it’s absurd to think that’s the reason for it. If that’s the case why not recall one of our defenders and leave him out entirely.

Winning papers over every crack. Not winning creates cracks where there are none.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

Well yes. Some half wit has made a rumour up and it's going around some of the usuals like wildfire, and then suddenly it's "i heard it from xx people" as if it legitimises one person making it up.

If it helps - it was a friend of my brothers' who showed us pictures. It happened whether you think it did or didn't. What we dont know is whether this is the reason for his absence.

Whilst it is not the sole reason we are not picking up points, if Taff's actions have resulted in Stewart not playing too, then I'd say it has gone some way to contributing to it.

A friend of your brothers, showed you a pic of one of our players at a nightclub on a Saturday night.

First question, is what's the actual problem with that? There was no midweek game.

• @Glenactico said:
    Feeling frustrated that we’ve not seen more of Horgan and Kai Kai. Both were excellent today in my opinion, but have hardly played all season. Had we known Gape would be out more or less all season I’m sure we’d have had another CM in the squad rather than being so overloaded with attacking midfielders that are sat on the bench.

We simply can’t concede 5 at home and surrender a two-goal lead twice if we want to go up. For most of the season my feeling has been that we’d probably end up a losing play off team. But at the moment it is pretty hard to see us finishing in the top 6.

You have to give May credit for some exceptional finishing. But my god some of that defensive play is dreadful on the highlights.

Agreed on Kaikai, 2 assists and the second was a hand in surely our best breakaway goal in years, and very unlike Wycombe.

Horgan though, maybe I'm simply not sophisticated enough with my football knowledge to get him, or Wheeler a lot of the time. But I just don't get him. He should be bossing the league on his reputation, but simply hasn't.

• As good as Chris Forino has been, he's not Anthony Stewart. Also, why the snappy response from Gaz? Completely unlike him.

• One thing I would say is, we've had a run of five without a win in both promotion seasons under Gaz - although never longer than that - so it's probably not quite the end of the world yet.

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

A friend of your brothers, showed you a pic of one of our players at a nightclub on a Saturday night.

First question, is what's the actual problem with that? There was no midweek game.

If you read the thread you will understand that the problem was not going out as such, the problem was that he lied the next day saying he was "ill" when the more likely truth is that he had too many Shandy Bass'.

• I maintain it's a very odd situation

• @thecatwwfc Don't you have a history of negativity on here, or am I mixing you up?

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

If you read the thread you will understand that the problem was not going out as such, the problem was that he lied the next day saying he was "ill" when the more likely truth is that he had too many Shandy Bass'.

He lied about going out on a Saturday night and claiming he was ill on a Sunday?
    Or did he go out on the Friday?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    @thecatwwfc Don't you have a history of negativity on here, or am I mixing you up?

Made me laugh, as he's not going to admit it is he :D

• 100% isn’t true…. Hope not as it kind of tarnishes the Tafazolli Christmas Song!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    @thecatwwfc Don't you have a history of negativity on here, or am I mixing you up?

When we lose. Hehe. I'm sorry. I have tried to be positive but I guess shit sticks!

Very frustrated with today and looking for reasons/excuses.
    Perhaps I should avoid the gasroom when disappointed. Apologies again.

• Quite bizarre game very much like the 4-5 loss to Macclesfield when John Parkin destroyed us. Today it was Alfie May, and their whole team deserves credit coming from behind like that. Really odd regarding our subs today and Ainsworth deserves the criticism that has come his way….but if you are unhappy just read the Sunderland message board, that will cheer you up!!

• How can anyone be anything other than negative after today? A great game for the neutral sure - are any of us actually neutral? I'd rather have ground out a boring 1-0 than drawn 5-5. 5 games without a win now, with 4 of those being teams in the bottom half of the table and two key CBs seemingly missing in action. It's not a sense of entitlement at all to think we should beat Cheltenham. Our manager and chairman have consistently said the aim is for promotion, and for the past 5 games we have been miles off the standard required. @ReturnToSenda put it perfectly when he said that today was naive in the extreme. Haven't come out of a game feeling so irritated by a performance as today in a long time.

• @brownie, scoring 5 goals surely makes it some sort of positive?

• @Brownie said:
    How can anyone be anything other than negative after today? A great game for the neutral sure - are any of us actually neutral? I'd rather have ground out a boring 1-0 than drawn 5-5. 5 games without a win now, with 4 of those being teams in the bottom half of the table and two key CBs seemingly missing in action. It's not a sense of entitlement at all to think we should beat Cheltenham. Our manager and chairman have consistently said the aim is for promotion, and for the past 5 games we have been miles off the standard required. @ReturnToSenda put it perfectly when he said that today was naive in the extreme. Haven't come out of a game feeling so irritated by a performance as today in a long time.

Tantrum

• @Brownie said:
    How can anyone be anything other than negative after today? A great game for the neutral sure - are any of us actually neutral? I'd rather have ground out a boring 1-0 than drawn 5-5. 5 games without a win now, with 4 of those being teams in the bottom half of the table and two key CBs seemingly missing in action. It's not a sense of entitlement at all to think we should beat Cheltenham. Our manager and chairman have consistently said the aim is for promotion, and for the past 5 games we have been miles off the standard required. @ReturnToSenda put it perfectly when he said that today was naive in the extreme. Haven't come out of a game feeling so irritated by a performance as today in a long time.

Amen

• @Malone said:
    @brownie, scoring 5 goals surely makes it some sort of positive?

The horrific level of defending made even the fact we scored 5 seem unenjoyable.

• The defending was so bad today even @glasshalffull may have to say it wasn’t good enough.

• Just watched the highlights for the first time.

+ive

• Forward play looked excellent in general.
    • Thompson's long ball that led to Vokes' 2nd - class.
    • The build up for Obita's 2nd - class.
    • Kaikai looked good.
    • Finishing looked ruthless today! Perhaps GA deserves some credit for that at least today?

-ive

• 1st goal, nothing can be said. Shocking.
    • What was Horgan doing jumping for that header in the middle of the park and completely missing it? Looked like he was scared to ruin his hair.
    • McCleary is not a defender, so GA has to take some blame for the equaliser.
    • Stockdale looks like he is lacking in confidence. He looks a little slow and is not commanding his 6 yard box, let alone the 18 yard.
  • I think that's all fair enough, but we're too deep into the season to be putting much stock in 'positives' from a result as unacceptable as today's.

• @davecz said:
    The defending was so bad today even @glasshalffull may have to say it wasn’t good enough.

I leave the negativity to others. I’ve seen many hundreds of games in my time and learned that over reacting to poor performances is as pointless as getting carried away by good displays.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I think that's all fair enough, but we're too deep into the season to be putting much stock in 'positives' from a result as unacceptable as today's.

I think if we are to put things in perspective and analyse our main criticism of the past few weeks, most would agree that it was "being more ruthless" that cost us points. So in that sense, absolutely positive. As you pointed out earlier, the shots to goals ratio was crazy!

Having addressed that one issue (today at least) - it seems we maybe neglected the fact that in the past few games we never really got tested at the back. Other teams made our defence look OK. As a result......today happened!!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Daryl Horgan steals a living as a footballer.

Prick

• Just had a quick look and since the turn of the year, we're right up there in terms of goals/game - defending not bad either in the sense we don't allow a lot of good chances, but we have been making far too many sloppy errors and today felt like that coming to a head. It's been coming for much of the season, tbh. We just don't look balanced enough.