Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• And we might drop Stocko

• @Wendoverman said:
    I think you're allowed to say what you want @ReturnToSenda

Idk, never sure around here!

• Stocko is going to hate watching that video with the team on Monday

• Yes, it's one thing to get bitten at 3-1 up, but to not learn from that once 5-3 up is the real crime.

• I'm not sure about all this captain hindsight stuff with bringing Stewart on late doors.

If he wasn't judged to be a better bet than the 3 that started from the off, why is he suddenly this super secure stopper later on?

• I enjoyed it. Proper gormania stuff.

• Perhaps because historically he has been that...

But if he is not deemed fit enough to start, then I understand why he wasn't brought on.

I still think at 5-3 we should have gone to 4 at the back with Wing on to bolster the screen in front of the back 4, looked to keep the ball on the ground and ground out the game.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Am I allowed to say that I don't think we'll ever establish ourselves as a Championship side without quite a radical style change?

My point entirely @ReturnToSenda. Serious work in progress. Just hope we receive a reasonable settlement from the DCFC Administrators to help us on our way toward that goal. I also feel we're going to need some fresh heads in the mix for tactical thinking/planning in the management team. We're going to need an awful lot more just to become a yo-yo team.

• @Malone said:
    I'm not sure about all this captain hindsight stuff with bringing Stewart on late doors.

If he wasn't judged to be a better bet than the 3 that started from the off, why is he suddenly this super secure stopper later on?

Because that Ainsworth needs to answer questions about not buying players better than the ones we have and why he left all the players who only last week looked tired and needed a break or were injured or he decided to rest for Tuesday on the bench. Playing a team with international players we all wanted to have game time that had a two goal lead twice was madness as we all knew. Keep up.

• Disappointed to hear fans around me booing at the end. I don't think this group of players should ever be booked.

We all know if you've got aspirations to go up you don't give up two goal leads at home to Cheltenham once, let alone twice in a match. They'll know it more than anyone. People should grow up a bit and give them some support.

Sam Vokes by the way, when you play to his strengths is absolutely unplayable at this level.

Plenty of points still to play for, starting on Tuesday

• If I am allowed to say it...I agree with @eric_plant

• I'm not normally a fan of booing, but it was entirely understandable today - can be quite instinctive, not necessarily intentionally malicious.

• Nope, not having it.

These players don't deserve tantrums being thrown by fans with a sense of entitlement. They need to grow up

• Manager decided on team shock? Chairman to write open letter.

• @eric_plant said:
    Nope, not having it.

These players don't deserve tantrums being thrown by fans with a sense of entitlement. They need to grow up

Fans pay money, and at such a shocking display are entitled to get annoyed at the final whistle.

• Daryl Horgan steals a living as a footballer.

• edited February 2022

Well it's one of the consequences that arise from not giving any information on injuries, or anything else, ever. (In response to @wendoverman's last comment.)

• @prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Nope, not having it.

Fans pay money, and at such a shocking display are entitled to get annoyed at the final whistle.

The "we pay our money" nonsense is the weakest argument ever

• @prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Nope, not having it.

Agreed

• @eric_plant said:

@prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Nope, not having it.

No it's not.

• It certainly shows in football you can't take anything for granted.

I can't have been the only one who thought Shrewsbury/Lincoln/Cheltenham gave us a great chance to rack the points up.

3 draws!

• What a frustrating afternoon. It was like we had all four seasons in one game the way we played. Sublime to the ridiculous.

Kaikai was brilliant in the 10 role. I’d happily see him play there again or even up top in a 2.

Typical Ainsworth and Dobson today when we’re on a bad run. It’s like they pull 11 names out of the hat and that’s the starting XI. Mysterious substitutions. Completely unbalanced starting XI and finishing XI.

The 5 Cheltenham goals were all down to us not reacting or players not playing in their normal positions.

1 - JJ & Forino mistakes

2 - foul on Kaikai but Wheeler wrong footed and Grimmer slow to react.

3 - what was Horgan doing he is not a center mid to be trusted to do the defensive work. You cannot let the ball bounce there.

4 - brilliant from May but who was tracking him back?

5 - would Jacobson have made such a poor header at the back post? Obita is not a centre back in a 3.

All in all two pints dropped and could really cost us dear. However, I fully expect Ainsworth and Dobbo to completely change the system & personnel Tuesday and we will get three points.

I expect it will be 4-2-3-1

Stockdale
    Grimmer Stewart Forino Jacobson
    Scowen Thompson
    McCleary Kaikai Obita
    Vokes

• @HCblue said:

@eric_plant said:

@prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Nope, not having it.

No it's not.

Yes it is

• Wasn’t at the game today but sounds like a really frustrating one. Looking forward to seeing the highlights.

I will be there on Tuesday and I’m now fully expecting a much changed 11, or at least much changed defence.

Sounds like Kaikai played well, glad to see him given a chance.

• @mooneyman said:

@HCblue said:

@eric_plant said:

@prufrock_91 said:

@eric_plant said:
    Nope, not having it.

No it's not.

Yes it is

Oh no it's not

• Think that is harsh @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I thought he was very good in the first half, but faded when we went all kamikaze in the second, probably should have been replaced by Wing at 5-3.

Overall, he doesn't really fit the style of play GA is choosing.

• edited February 2022

I'm not a booer and probably never will be but if I was ever going to boo, it would have been today. We showed our disapproval by not clapping at the end.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Daryl Horgan steals a living as a footballer.

Thought he was ok when on the ball, but clearly out of position and no point him or Kaikai being there if we just boot it over them.

The 3 goal spell was when we actually played through them and kept the ball a bit.

• I’m still recovering from that one!!! Throwing a two goal lead away twice at home is indeed a stinker of a performance. I was happy with the team selection (things needed shaking up a bit) and at HT and 3-1 up, all was well and GA’s tactics were validated (first goal was just a double mistake.)
    Horgan and KaiKai were good in the first half, but quickly tired in the second half - not surprising given their lack of game time. Horgan especially looked shattered and his ‘non header’ let them in for their goal to pull it back to 5-4 and then it was anyone’s game. Gareth knew that they would tire and both should have been subbed around the 60 minute mark. That should have been in his plan having selected them! His inability to make early changes drives me nuts.
    At 5-3 up it should be game over and job done. Keep possession, don’t do stupid things, pass the ball on the deck, see the game out. Vokes and Obita must be so pissed off tonight! Talking of keeping the ball down, at around the 55th minute, the wind got much gustier and the numero uno thing not to do is keep booting it up in the feckin’ air!!!
    Of course, in true Wycombe style, we will now beat Wigan on Tuesday.
    All the school kids / parents will be back for more after that game. Entertaining for the new fan! PS - it’s not like that every week. ?