Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• Struggling to keep up with the messages tonight. Has GA actually been asked why Stewart was on the bench? If so, what he did say?

I've watched the wwfc TV interview and it wasn't covered at all in the three minute video. If the question wasn't asked, why the hell not? Of course speculation is going to fill the void if our best player is being left on the bench when we're shipping 5 goals at home!

• @glasshalffull said:

@davecz said:
    The defending was so bad today even @glasshalffull may have to say it wasn’t good enough.

I leave the negativity to others. I’ve seen many hundreds of games in my time and learned that over reacting to poor performances is as pointless as getting carried away by good displays.

On the fence as always. Those splinters must hurt.

• @davecz said:

@glasshalffull said:

@davecz said:
    The defending was so bad today even @glasshalffull may have to say it wasn’t good enough.

I leave the negativity to others. I’ve seen many hundreds of games in my time and learned that over reacting to poor performances is as pointless as getting carried away by good displays.

Classy response.

• Taken a few hours to calm down.. we should've won that ! 5-3 up at home and not won. Why the hell isn't Stewart playing !! If the rumours on here tonight are true then questions need to be asked. As good as Forino has been, Stewart is 1st choice . Taking a defender off and bringing an attacker on at 5-4 !! Really ! The defence is the reason we won't get promoted this season I'm afraid. Vokes, superb, that first goal for him is what he's all about, and we havnt done it enough.

• Normally at the end of my 130 mile drive home, I’m usually over any match irritation but not tonight. Kudos to Vokes, Kaikai, Obita, Thompson and first half Horgan but the rest… And it’s not often I get annoyed by our management team but why they did nothing to try and shore it up at 5-3 is beyond me.

But what’s even worse is the absolute bed wetting on here, plus usually half-sane people punting rumours as fact like they’re Piers Morgan running the Sun’s Bizarre column back in the day.

I’m sure by the time I wake up tomorrow someone will have knocked up a Wycombe Wanderers Wicked Whispers logo and will be claiming that Tafazolli has been dropped as he’s got Ivor Beeks pregnant.

• edited February 2022

Does two forwards getting 10 (as Vokes is already on and Hanlan is almost on course for) or more goals in a season count as the elusive '20-goal striker'?

• The phrase 'no smoke without fire' irritates me more than our defending today. Anyone can make up a baseless rumour on social media - of course there can be smoke without fire.

I can only think Stewart isn't fully fit otherwise I can't see the logic of bringing on McCleary at LWB.

• edited February 2022

Why is Stewart on the bench if he's not fully fit? First game back from a spell out, fine, but not three games running.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Why is Stewart on the bench if he's not fully fit? First game back from a spell out, fine, but not three games running.

That's what I said! What's the point?

• edited February 2022

Can kind of understand at some level why the rumours are spreading as it's just a bit more believable than Ainsworth deciding for football reasons to leave Taff and Stewart kicking their heels while we are playing fill ins and getting overrun. Doesn't make it true of course.
    Honestly looking across at the bench late on with us hanging on for the win and looking past Stewart (and McCarthy) and not even having Taff there all through free choice and deciding to rotate attacking players is just plain odd from here without greater clarification.
    Generally though if he thinks he's protecting players and not giving too much away, or has seen they've both been lazy / disruptive / dogshit in training then that's also got to be good enough. I hope we aren't prioritising the midweek game which now looks very tricky indeed.
    Is it an overstatement to think that he should simultaneously be given a statue at the ground and also really look deep into how and why his substitutions are chosen? Maybe.
    This season was always going to be tricky, we weren't anywhere near strong favourites for promotion when we went from L2 to L1 let alone when we went to the Championship, and there are lots of good teams in this league. We're not anywhere near favourites to go up this season despite what RC may say for PR or positive vibes. I don't believe he finances the squad to that level, and he might well be right not to.
    Today was a shit show other than two periods of about 10 minutes but there's at least some hope in some of the attacking play that hasn't been seen to much recently.

• I love Gaz, I really do but no one at the club is beyond reproach. If he doesn't feel Stewart justified a start then fair enough but by God it was clear as day that he was needed on that pitch during the second half. So disappointed in him his evening but he deserves our backing, I just hope he learns from this mistake.

• Ok so I guess some perspective. Personally I’ve now relaxed after being pretty fed up today from the game.

2 thoughts, based on Paul McCarthy who has been mentioned today and also the sad news coming from our M40 neighbours Oxford Utd.

1 Some say a back 3 can’t work. I feel that with McCarthy, Bates and Cousins in the team we would have won somewhere between 5 and 7 nil today. Not only were they all excellent defenders in their own right, but we had not one leader in the team today of their desire and calibre in my opinion when we were falling apart.

2 Rest In Peace to Joey Beachamp. My heart goes out to his family and his football family in Oxford. He was a fantastic footballer in his prime. He loved that club in a way our own Matt Bloomfield loves us, and I for one would give him a clap in 7th minute on Tuesday night.

Night all.

• Watching Stewart jogging up the touchline when it looked like we could easily concede another 5 at 5-3 up was about as frustrated as I've been as a Wycombe fan. Taff and Stewart on the pitch and that game is an easy three points.

Gareth is taking the piss by not telling us wtf is going on, we pay our money and travel miles to come and support his team.

• Apparently paying your money isn't an argument

• edited February 2022

Total chaos in defence . Wouldn't have happened if Scowen was on the pitch. Stewart ready to come on C 60 minutes and then Ainsworth changed his mind. Can't understand why he didn't choose to replace JJ who was having a shocker. We could have easily closed the game out but Gareth made the wrong decisions today. Frustrating and we need to get a win from somewhere very soon

• Tafazolli has not been in the squad for the last three games - is he injured? And if so for how long?

Stewart has been on the bench for the last three games - is he carrying an injury, not 100% fit? If so, why is he in the squad? Why was he not brought on today?

Bringing on McCleary for Jacobson when you have Stewart and McCarthy both on the bench. What was that?

Has there been a falling out?
    Remember when Matt Spring and Sam Saunders kept been left out?

It will be interesting to see the starting lineup on Tuesday.

And I wonder how the comments would have been if Allsop would have played…

• As much as yesterday was frustrating I enjoyed watching a masterclass in finishing by Alfie May. Since the departure of Scott Kashket I’ve felt we’ve missed that nippy little striker who pops up with goals from flick-ons & half-chances.

That said, the reality is we are now just looking to cement a play-off place. Barring a major upset Rotherham & Wigan have all but booked the automatic promotion places. It’s whoever hits form in the play-offs in May that will go up with them. There are probably 8 teams vying for the four play-off places.

Strangely enough, the Championship is reflecting virtually the same scenario. Fulham & Bournemouth appear to be nailed-on for the automatic spots with a further 8 teams vying for the play-offs.

I’m expecting a much-improved performance v Wigan on Tuesday. I’m not saying we’ll beat them but we seem to do better against tougher opponents. Anyone who comes along hoping for a repeat 5-5 will probably witness a goalless draw. It will be a fascinating game for a multiplicity of reasons - both on & off the pitch!!!!

• Was Stocko really at fault for any of the goals? I've been mainly concerned about his kicking lately - seems to lack concentration when receiving the ball and I fear a repeat of that West Ham friendly.

• Is my memory playing up or did Stewart and Taffs both play in our last two defeats? With hindsight should that Ainsworth have left them out in those games and we would have won?

• @davecz said:

@glasshalffull said:

@davecz said:

Bit below the belt to be honest, he’s entitled to his opinion like the rest of us. It was also a fair response to a comment too, in which he was basically called out to make.

• @username123 said:
    Ok so I guess some perspective. Personally I’ve now relaxed after being pretty fed up today from the game.

2 thoughts, based on Paul McCarthy who has been mentioned today and also the sad news coming from our M40 neighbours Oxford Utd.

1 Some say a back 3 can’t work. I feel that with McCarthy, Bates and Cousins in the team we would have won somewhere between 5 and 7 nil today. Not only were they all excellent defenders in their own right, but we had not one leader in the team today of their desire and calibre in my opinion when we were falling apart.

2 Rest In Peace to Joey Beachamp. My heart goes out to his family and his football family in Oxford. He was a fantastic footballer in his prime. He loved that club in a way our own Matt Bloomfield loves us, and I for one would give him a clap in 7th minute on Tuesday night.

Night all.

I played against Joey Beachamp around 10 years ago when he was playing Sunday league football. Great player

• Just caught up on the postings on here and just wondered how all the tantrums are this morning?

Mad game yesterday played in windy conditions on a bouncy pitch. The Cheltenham centre forward played the game of his life and, for me anyway, we suffered for not getting going quickly enough in the first half. We were always going to have to defend hard in the second without some experienced defenders.

Inevitably some have started some conspiracy theories on absences and picked their own scapegoats for not beating another League One side. I would guess none of the theories are true.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Was Stocko really at fault for any of the goals? I've been mainly concerned about his kicking lately - seems to lack concentration when receiving the ball and I fear a repeat of that West Ham friendly.

No, he made some very good saves and earned us a point in the end

• If being up in arms about conceding five goals at home = tantrum, I'd love to know how many we'd have to concede for the reaction to be deemed reasonable.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Was Stocko really at fault for any of the goals? I've been mainly concerned about his kicking lately - seems to lack concentration when receiving the ball and I fear a repeat of that West Ham friendly.

He did get some horrible back passes fired at him yesterday and I thought his distribution, especially in to the wind, was much better than the other keeper. Didn't come away from the game thinking he cost us a goal but I would guess he'd be dissapointed with the non May goal from distance.

• Both keepers and sets of defenders were struggling with the conditions we could have done better and I prefer the Stewart/Taffs pairing but let’s not hit the panic button

• I'm really not keen on this only one center back playing business, and I'm not saying that because of yesterday, never been that keen on it. Personal view but if we had 2 center backs playing yesterday we'd have won that.

• edited February 2022

The back 3 trend is fading - 14/16 PL teams played a back 4 yesterday, and 3/4 will today. That'll trickle down the divisions - and that seems to be happening quicker and quicker. I think we've had our time with it and need to revert to 4, with which we've looked more solid this season - can play with flying full-backs who aren't much different to wing-backs (although we do need both Scowen and Thompson in there).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    The back 3 trend is fading - 14/16 PL teams played a back 4 yesterday, and 3/4 will today. That'll trickle down the divisions - and that seems to be happening quicker and quicker. I think we've had our time with it and need to revert to 4, with which we've looked more solid this season - can play with flying full-backs who aren't much different to wing-backs (although we do need both Scowen and Thompson in there).

Is it formation or players? If we played a back three with three proper centre backs it must be more solid than our current two full backs and a rookie. I do wonder if we had had Gape and Scowen available more often recently if would help any defensive formation.

• I think everyone has covered just about all the possibilities on here, so not much to add. We have had utter drivel about why Taff was not even in the squad, GA got just about everything wrong, from defensive tactics, team selection, wrong use of the substitutions, wrong times for those subs, anything else?
    At the end of the day, what you can't legislate for is players having a collective nightmare. How many times did we have two players going for the same ball, leaving opposition players free to mop up and too often yesterday scoring from the mess? How many times did we just give the ball directly to an opposition player? It was so clear & obvious that we were struggling to play a long ball out of defence 2nd half, into a strong gusty wind, why did the players persist with it? I thought that the sub G' Mac for JJ was possibly to go with 4 at the back and worry the Cheltenham back line, however before we had even taken up our positions, they scored the 5th. JJ had probably his worst game in a WFC shirt, poo happens, just one of those things.
    What I haven't seen so far in all these posts is any credit given to Cheltenham for their use of the conditions. In the second half I thought they used the wind to the maximum, got in behind us and had the back three turning at every opportunity. For their 5th, you could see GA screaming at players to help out Curtis & Grimmer. They had three players to our two down our right side and delivered the ball in comfortably to cause the mayhem that it did and consequently May scored again. This, I believe is where we missed a vocal leader on the pitch, someone who could see the obvious and demand more & repositioning of others. Curtis is an absolute lion in the middle of the park, a real street fighter, but he isn't a leader. The "lack of leadership" accusation can be levelled at Wheeler and Horgan.
    Every team will have an off day during a season, getting the balance right on and off the field is a tough one and now it's about seeing how we react, both as a club and as fans. GA is human and will make mistakes, he deserves the respect in defeat that he is given in victory. Just remember where we were after we lost at home to Bristol Rovers all them years ago and our trip to "no chance Torquay". In that time, we have come a very very long way and have gone from being a club that nearly went out of business to a club that has been pretty solid in L1 with a view to going up to the Championship. GA has proven that every action and decision, in his mind, is the best for this football club and if he decides to keep his cards close to his chest, then so be it. I might want to know certain things with regards to tactics, team selection, why players are not in/out or injured, frustrating that it is, I will have to suck it up and shrug my shoulders. With the right support & guidance from the Couhig family we will achieve this, might not necessarily be this season but it will happen.
    COYB's.