Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• @glasshalffull said:

@Gary said:

• the terrace is really unenjoyable at times lately. Yesterday I had the misfortune of standing near these lads - I think one of them may be the one who got lamped by Pierre? Anyway, they spent the whole game shouting abuse at our players including the young lads, as well as calling Stocko a fat cu**. They kept saying how they wanted Cheltenham to score so they could “see the limbs”! Honestly, I wish the club would let me change my ST to the FA stand.

I am really disturbed to read about your experience yesterday. What on earth possesses these idiots to abuse our own players and want the opposition to score? Is it always like that on the terrace? Have you requested changing your ST?

There's abuse of our own players from certain usual suspects every time I go in there

• I've never heard anything like that, and wouldn't stand for it. But I don't stand anywhere near the middle

• They've called Bayo 'fatty' for years

• @Gary said:
    A few points from me.

• I think we lacked leadership on the pitch yesterday which resulted in a number of avoidable errors. Sadly, most of those resulted in goals. I want to hear players being more vocal and talking to / coaching each other on the pitch.

• I posted at half time that it was comical how Cheltenham hadn’t worked out that they weren’t getting any joy playing into the wind. Surely we would have sussed that out and made sure we didn’t make the same errors in the second half as they did in the first. Clearly we didn’t.

• the terrace is really unenjoyable at times lately. Yesterday I had the misfortune of standing near these lads - I think one of them may be the one who got lamped by Pierre? Anyway, they spent the whole game shouting abuse at our players including the young lads, as well as calling Stocko a fat cu**. They kept saying how they wanted Cheltenham to score so they could “see the limbs”! Honestly, I wish the club would let me change my ST to the FA stand.

If it was the same guy it's disappointing the strawberry jam comeuppance hasn't made him change his ways.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Gary said:

I am really disturbed to read about your experience yesterday. What on earth possesses these idiots to abuse our own players and want the opposition to score? Is it always like that on the terrace? Have you requested changing your ST?

Booze, stuff stronger than booze, and a general meaningless to their lives?

• @kiscokid said:

@micra said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Was Stocko really at fault for any of the goals? I've been mainly concerned about his kicking lately - seems to lack concentration when receiving the ball and I fear a repeat of that West Ham friendly.

He did get some horrible back passes fired at him yesterday and I thought his distribution, especially in to the wind, was much better than the other keeper. Didn't come away from the game thinking he cost us a goal but I would guess he'd be dissapointed with the non May goal from distance.

The “non May” goal was scored by Kion Etete, just turned 20, 6’6” and on loan from the mighty Tottenham Hotspur. Remarkable prospect.

Don’t think a ‘remarkable prospect’ would be on loan at Cheltenham.

Four words:

Eberchi Eze. Wycombe wanderers.

Some more words:

Remarkable prospects do get let out on loan to league clubs lower down the leagues, don’t they?

• @Gary said:
    A few points from me.

• I think we lacked leadership on the pitch yesterday which resulted in a number of avoidable errors. Sadly, most of those resulted in goals. I want to hear players being more vocal and talking to / coaching each other on the pitch.

• I posted at half time that it was comical how Cheltenham hadn’t worked out that they weren’t getting any joy playing into the wind. Surely we would have sussed that out and made sure we didn’t make the same errors in the second half as they did in the first. Clearly we didn’t.

Disgusting I’ve never heard a Wycombe supporter abuse one of our own like that. Where I sit in the FA the ref and linos sometimes get the odd bit of constructive criticism but that’s it and to want the opposition to score well I abhor violence but perhaps Pierre was on to something.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@kiscokid said:

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Was Stocko really at fault for any of the goals? I've been mainly concerned about his kicking lately - seems to lack concentration when receiving the ball and I fear a repeat of that West Ham friendly.

He did get some horrible back passes fired at him yesterday and I thought his distribution, especially in to the wind, was much better than the other keeper. Didn't come away from the game thinking he cost us a goal but I would guess he'd be dissapointed with the non May goal from distance.

The “non May” goal was scored by Kion Etete, just turned 20, 6’6” and on loan from the mighty Tottenham Hotspur. Remarkable prospect.

Four words:

Some more words:

Remarkable prospects do get let out on loan to league clubs lower down the leagues, don’t they?

Harry Kane played for Orient in L1

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@kiscokid said:

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Four words:

Some more words:

Jermaine Defoe at Bournemouth too. Set a record in consecutive games scores if I remember correctly.

But yeah. Remarkable prospects aren’t sent to teams in L1 or L2, eh?

• I believe Defoe has been given a chance recently by plucky little Sunderland, too.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@kiscokid said:

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Four words:

Some more words:

Jermaine Defoe at Bournemouth too. Set a record in consecutive games scores if I remember correctly.

Did that guy alongside May up front yesterday look like a "remarkable" talent to you?

• Gawd...very sad to hear that about the terrace @Gary I assume getting a reaction rather than supporting the team is the aim.

• edited February 2022

@Malone said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@kiscokid said:

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Four words:

Some more words:

Did that guy alongside May up front yesterday look like a "remarkable" talent to you?

Thats a very different assertion. The original assertion was remarkable talents don't go on Loan to L1 teams, or somewhere like Cheltenham. Thats demostrably false.

Thats not the same as saying that specific player is remarkable.

• I should clarify a few things. When I say it was possibly the lad who got hit by Pierre, that’s because I recognised his name. His mates were calling him Stokesey. One of them was talking about a podcast that they run if that’s any clue.

They also shouted abuse at Forino and, towards the end of the game, Mehmeti (particularly when he ran the ball out of play in the final moments).

• @Gary: I’m sure WW will be very helpful in moving your season-ticket to the FA Stand given your experience. The club don’t want to lose supporters & in my experience they are as accommodating as possible.

• Must admit, I'm getting a bit fed up with idiots in the terrace as well. Seriously considering going to the Frank Adams next season, only thing that put me of this season was the cost

• Not intended as a thread derail as picking up on earlier comments regarding terrace acoustics. I've no experience in this area but one wonders if it's worth the club bringing in an expert to see if some 'simple' tweaks could improve the level of output?

• @Gary said:
    I should clarify a few things. When I say it was possibly the lad who got hit by Pierre, that’s because I recognised his name. His mates were calling him Stokesey. One of them was talking about a podcast that they run if that’s any clue.

They also shouted abuse at Forino and, towards the end of the game, Mehmeti (particularly when he ran the ball out of play in the final moments).

These goons have been given the air they crave by the likes of Facebook & Twitter. It's really no surprise that they crawl out from under their rocks occasionally to actually go visit a football match. It's all bravado - played out for the amusement of their fellow lowlifes. They less oxygen their antics are given the better it will be for all of us.

• I've had to put up with the "usuals" at many an away game over the years, but dare I say it's part of the risk of going fairly central in the terrace?

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Not intended as a thread derail as picking up on earlier comments regarding terrace acoustics. I've no experience in this area but one wonders if it's worth the club bringing in an expert to see if some 'simple' tweaks could improve the level of output?

The acoustics were surely not that big a problem years back when the terrace was quite noisy.
    It seems to be a mixture of a reduction of numbers thing, and some sort of changing of the guard of chanters.

• @Gary said:
    I should clarify a few things. When I say it was possibly the lad who got hit by Pierre, that’s because I recognised his name. His mates were calling him Stokesey. One of them was talking about a podcast that they run if that’s any clue.

Cannot be the same people. They were lovely lads, happy go lucky types going about their business after a game when they were viciously and needlessly assaulted.

• @floyd said:

Winning papers over every crack. Not winning creates cracks where there are none.

I guess most fans (and certainly those i spoke to at half time) were happy with our first half performance, save for the first few minutes. We should all have appreciated that Cheltenham would then enjoy the wind advantage in the second half and come hard at us. Surprised not to see May's third (Cheltenham's fourth) goal amongst the gaols of the week.

• An ex-cell-ent finish that rather got them out of jail in that game.

• Pipped me on that one, @DevC. Probably just as well. I’ve been in enough trouble lately!

• Surely you haven't been impersonating a prisoner escaping down a drainpipe, @micra? I hate people being condescending.

• @AlanCecil said:

@floyd said:

Winning papers over every crack. Not winning creates cracks where there are none.

I guess most fans (and certainly those i spoke to at half time) were happy with our first half performance, save for the first few minutes. We should all have appreciated that Cheltenham would then enjoy the wind advantage in the second half and come hard at us. Surprised not to see May's third (Cheltenham's fourth) goal amongst the gaols of the week.

No doubting May's excellent perfoemance but a lot of us were very surprised that the players kept launching balls into the wind or up in the air in the second half and then looked shocked when they fell short or blew towards our goal!

• @Wendoverman said:

@AlanCecil said:

@floyd said:

No doubting May's excellent perfoemance but a lot of us were very surprised that the players kept launching balls into the wind or up in the air in the second half and then looked shocked when they fell short or blew towards our goal!

This for me was possibly the most frustrating part of the afternoon.... we could all see it, could they not ?!

• Not nice, I know, but I’d be very tempted to boo every time someone hoofs aimlessly forward (with the possible exception of Stockdale, although I gather his kicking wasn’t up to the usual standard on Saturday, possibly affected by his strapped up left knee - or was that an over long sock !)