Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Was Stocko really at fault for any of the goals? I've been mainly concerned about his kicking lately - seems to lack concentration when receiving the ball and I fear a repeat of that West Ham friendly.

He did get some horrible back passes fired at him yesterday and I thought his distribution, especially in to the wind, was much better than the other keeper. Didn't come away from the game thinking he cost us a goal but I would guess he'd be dissapointed with the non May goal from distance.

The “non May” goal was scored by Kion Etete, just turned 20, 6’6” and on loan from the mighty Tottenham Hotspur. Remarkable prospect.

• On a (hopefully) more positive note. The children (and parents) of Millbrook School that were housed in the away stand had what I hope must have seemed an incredible experience. 10 goals, 2 in under a minute. How often are they ever likely to see this watching Premier League games on TV? Has to be good for building a future fanbase surely.

• It was simply one of the strangest games you'll ever see,

Arguably one of the finest break away goals we've scored in the last decade or so, some good attacking play, loads of goals.
    The wind made it more difficult than a lot of people seem to want to admit to, and then some mistakes on top, and some people are reacting worse than if we've been smashed .

• Off to watch a boring contest between Leeds and Manure now. Lucky if we see three goals, I reckon.

• Whoops, should have checked spellcheck. The mighty Manchester United of course.

• @micra said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Was Stocko really at fault for any of the goals? I've been mainly concerned about his kicking lately - seems to lack concentration when receiving the ball and I fear a repeat of that West Ham friendly.

He did get some horrible back passes fired at him yesterday and I thought his distribution, especially in to the wind, was much better than the other keeper. Didn't come away from the game thinking he cost us a goal but I would guess he'd be dissapointed with the non May goal from distance.

The “non May” goal was scored by Kion Etete, just turned 20, 6’6” and on loan from the mighty Tottenham Hotspur. Remarkable prospect.

One of the most immature, petulant and ineffective first half performances I’ve ever seen from Etete. Came to life a bit in the second half though. Hopefully this loan spell will help him

• Sorry to hear that @Right_in_the_Middle . Didn’t come across on commentary.

• Looking back at your post, I hadn’t twigged that you’d seen him before.

• I can see how that came across @micra but I don’t think I’ve seen Etete before. I had to look him up on my phone during the first half (still miss the programme) because his attitude and performance was amongst the worst I’ve ever witnessed. He let his team mates down with his constant moaning and lack of effort.
    As I said, second half he looked more lively. Got the physical attributes but I’d worry about his attitude.

• Thanks @Right_in_the_Middle. That’s very interesting. Sounds like Cheltenham may not be as fastidious as Wycombe in their selection procedures.

• @HomerLone said:
    On a (hopefully) more positive note. The children (and parents) of Millbrook School that were housed in the away stand had what I hope must have seemed an incredible experience. 10 goals, 2 in under a minute. How often are they ever likely to see this watching Premier League games on TV? Has to be good for building a future fanbase surely.

7 out of the 0 goals were scored at their end as both sides kicking into the wind struggled to defend.

• @HomerLone said:
    On a (hopefully) more positive note. The children (and parents) of Millbrook School that were housed in the away stand had what I hope must have seemed an incredible experience. 10 goals, 2 in under a minute. How often are they ever likely to see this watching Premier League games on TV? Has to be good for building a future fanbase surely.

Sitting on the halfway line it was interesting that they were also making more noise (chanting Wycombe, Wycombe) than the terrace when things got tough in the 2nd half, which was pretty comical when I think back at the messages on here about kids providing no atmosphere!

• Excellent post @EwanHoosaami

• Looking at the bright side all those kids went away happy after seeing ten goals.

• @username123 said:

@HomerLone said:

Sitting on the halfway line it was interesting that they were also making more noise (chanting Wycombe, Wycombe) than the terrace when things got tough in the 2nd half, which was pretty comical when I think back at the messages on here about kids providing no atmosphere!

Far better acoustics in that stand tbf

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@username123 said:

@HomerLone said:

Dare I say it, yes you are correct - but I was trying not to bring that up again!! Or anything else contentious like a drum. I’m trying really hard….. but…… they didn’t even need…. a….. a….. a…. a drum! Sorry, couldn’t resist!

• Ironically, if GA decided to post on here under an anonymous username, I think he would be one of those accused of being overly negative. He seemed to be pretty annoyed in the Phil interview!

• @username123 said:

@HomerLone said:

I'm sure someone will say the terrace was akin to Knebworth 96 but it was merely the acoustics letting them down.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@username123 said:

@HomerLone said:

Ahhh :D

• @micra said:
    Off to watch a boring contest between Leeds and Manure now. Lucky if we see three goals, I reckon.

Don't you get bored of being so consistently wrong :D

• That was a nightmare to referee particularly in those weather conditions @Malone. @micra must get easily bored nowadays as that was a rare Premier League game I enjoyed.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Don’t think a ‘remarkable prospect’ would be on loan at Cheltenham. He was L2 material. Shirt pulling / fouling and gobbing off throughout.
    Reminded me of a lanky long haired striker who used to get a lot of red cards 10-15 years back. Moroccan or Algerian? Lower league. Spent all day trying to recall his name yesterday - any ideas??

• edited February 2022

@kiscokid said:

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Don’t think a ‘remarkable prospect’ would be on loan at Cheltenham. He was L2 material. Shirt pulling / fouling and gobbing off throughout.
    Reminded me of a lanky long haired striker who used to get a lot of red cards 10-15 years back. Moroccan or Algerian? Lower league. Spent all day trying to recall his name yesterday - any ideas??

Bilel Mohsni (Tunisian)? CB but got a lot of cards

• I wasn’t very subtle in implying (ironically) that our game was boring. Chaotic, yes, but hardly boring! Mind you, only being able to listen did detract somewhat from the excitement which you guys must have been experiencing, ultimately coupled with extreme frustration.

I watched the second half of the game at Elland Road. I was surprised to see a Premier League game being played on such a waterlogged pitch. How no one sustained a serious injury, goodness only knows. Two remarkable games in one weekend.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@kiscokid said:

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Bilel Mohsni (Tunisian)? CB but got a lot of cards

Ah thank you - been killing me that !! Seem to recall he got lobbed up front on occasion!

• @kiscokid said:

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

As you’ll see, @ReturnToSenda, if you refer to my exchange with @Right_in_the_Middle earlier this afternoon, I only had the comments about him by Nick and Phil on which to make what, as I realised at the time, was a judgment based on limited and superficial evidence. I regret those two words. I originally typed “Remarkable talent” and sincerely thought that my edited version - “Remarkable prospect” - was perfectly valid.

• Very true, that 300 kids on a freebie comprehensively outsung the Valley Ultras.

Well played ?

• A few points from me.

• I think we lacked leadership on the pitch yesterday which resulted in a number of avoidable errors. Sadly, most of those resulted in goals. I want to hear players being more vocal and talking to / coaching each other on the pitch.

• I posted at half time that it was comical how Cheltenham hadn’t worked out that they weren’t getting any joy playing into the wind. Surely we would have sussed that out and made sure we didn’t make the same errors in the second half as they did in the first. Clearly we didn’t.

• the terrace is really unenjoyable at times lately. Yesterday I had the misfortune of standing near these lads - I think one of them may be the one who got lamped by Pierre? Anyway, they spent the whole game shouting abuse at our players including the young lads, as well as calling Stocko a fat cu**. They kept saying how they wanted Cheltenham to score so they could “see the limbs”! Honestly, I wish the club would let me change my ST to the FA stand.

• @Gary said:

• the terrace is really unenjoyable at times lately. Yesterday I had the misfortune of standing near these lads - I think one of them may be the one who got lamped by Pierre? Anyway, they spent the whole game shouting abuse at our players including the young lads, as well as calling Stocko a fat cu**. They kept saying how they wanted Cheltenham to score so they could “see the limbs”! Honestly, I wish the club would let me change my ST to the FA stand.

I am really disturbed to read about your experience yesterday. What on earth possesses these idiots to abuse our own players and want the opposition to score? Is it always like that on the terrace? Have you requested changing your ST?

• @floyd said:

Winning papers over every crack. Not winning creates cracks where there are none.

Just playing catch up. This is post of the day, maybe month, possibly season?