Skip to content

January transfer window

Comments

• Not enjoying this transfer window.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@glasshalffull said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    oxford making some signings also, our rivals are seeing the need to strengthen....at this rate our rivals next year be Accy and Morecombe!

Why so pessimistic? I think you need to look at the bigger picture for a moment. We still have all the players who have taken us to within four points of top spot and with Scowen, Gape and Freeman recovering from injury. You make it sound like we are facing the threat of relegation!

The pessimism is less about what we have now and more about what could be. We are wafer thin in some areas and it shows when we have illness and injury. A bit of key cover would be great. The centre of midfield and the centre of defence especially. Forino has shown a great potential - but he's only played 5 or 6 professional games. The centre of midfield with no Josh is simply not functional and clearly Pendlebury is not trusted yet.

I thought Penders would have played more by now too, but would i have in the team ahead of Wheeler or Mehmeti? Probably not.

• Clea some clubs are just embarrassing themselves desperately chucking silly money around. See below.

• @floyd said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@glasshalffull said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    oxford making some signings also, our rivals are seeing the need to strengthen....at this rate our rivals next year be Accy and Morecombe!

Why so pessimistic? I think you need to look at the bigger picture for a moment. We still have all the players who have taken us to within four points of top spot and with Scowen, Gape and Freeman recovering from injury. You make it sound like we are facing the threat of relegation!

The pessimism is less about what we have now and more about what could be. We are wafer thin in some areas and it shows when we have illness and injury. A bit of key cover would be great. The centre of midfield and the centre of defence especially. Forino has shown a great potential - but he's only played 5 or 6 professional games. The centre of midfield with no Josh is simply not functional and clearly Pendlebury is not trusted yet.

I thought Penders would have played more by now too, but would i have in the team ahead of Wheeler or Mehmeti? Probably not.

Certainly not in front of the ones you named but he's rarely even making the bench. And there have been times were we could have done with energy in the midfield for the final 10 or 15 minutes and clearly he is not seen as ready take that role on. Anis has been allowed to make some mistakes as well as play some wonderful football. I wonder why Pendlebury has not.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Clea some clubs are just embarrassing themselves desperately chucking silly money around. See below.

That's a pretty good signing for Bournemouth tbf

• Are we the only club in League One to sign no one this January?

• I love GA and has been brilliant for us however now take with a pinch of salt things he says about transfers and injuries

• @floyd said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    we still have Wigan, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham to play at home as well as Pompey away, we have been poor against the top teams

Yep, just the draws away with Wigan, Wednesday and Rotherham, and the sporting (and emotional) dismantling of Plymouth. Very poor.

You beat me too it @Floyd, not to mention taking four points off Oxford.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    I love GA and has been brilliant for us however now take with a pinch of salt things he says about transfers and injuries

Cheer up old chap, we’re four points off first place.
    Also, he said he was hoping to make some signings and Rob has explained why they didn’t happen.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    I love GA and has been brilliant for us however now take with a pinch of salt things he says about transfers and injuries

Cheer up old chap, we’re four points off first place.
    Also, he said he was hoping to make some signings and Rob has explained why they didn’t happen.

Last 2 games we’ve showed that when certain players are missing we’re not good enough. And that’s not come as a surprise especially considering 2 long term injuries and the maturity of some of our other players. So we’ve had a whole month to sign someone and weeks before that to identify targets. And that is why fans are disappointed especially when all around us most definitely have signed better players.
    If we are top six come the end of the season we will say got it right. My feeling is we with wither down to tenth - which was my original prediction.

• Imagine @aloysius's end of season posts if we don't go up.

• Genuinely confused by your last sentence @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I agree that if we make sixth or above, we definitely got it right, but are you saying if we dropped to your original prediction of tenth it would prove we got it wrong? Or we got it about right for the players we have?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Clea some clubs are just embarrassing themselves desperately chucking silly money around. See below.

That's a pretty good signing for Bournemouth tbf

That's a lot per week.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Genuinely confused by your last sentence @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I agree that if we make sixth or above, we definitely got it right, but are you saying if we dropped to your original prediction of tenth it would prove we got it wrong? Or we got it about right for the players we have?

Based on some of the performances so far I would be disappointed now with 10th, yeah. We have done great. But where we have not performed has largely been when we have missed big players. If we wanted to maintain standards (I feel) we needed freshness. I also believe that everyone around us certainly have improved and maybe that is what will push us down rather than our own failings. Standing still = going backwards. Delighted to be wrong.

• oxofrd make another signing, they are really going for it....fair play to them

• @drcongo said:
    Imagine @aloysius's end of season posts if we don't go up.

Something to look forward to…

• @Wanderers82 said:
    oxofrd make another signing, they are really going for it....fair play to them

And what happens if they don't make it despite flashing the cash?

• @Wanderers82 said:

Yep......roll the dice and gamble on success.

• @mooneyman said:

@Wanderers82 said:

And what happens if they don't make it despite flashing the cash?

I guess we’ll find out soon!

• I see they signed Marcus Browne. He has a track record of proving the difference in play off finals.

• An Oxford supporting mate has said that Browne has a lot to prove after that

• Spot-on Gaz!

• We rightly laud the management's skill in choosing the right players and moulding an excellent team spirit and happy dressing room. If they say they cannot find people who fit their brief at the price we can afford, I believe them. If other clubs have the cash to spend to chase the dream good luck to them.

• @Wendoverman said:
    We rightly laud the management's skill in choosing the right players and moulding an excellent team spirit and happy dressing room. If they say they cannot find people who fit their brief at the price we can afford, I believe them. If other clubs have the cash to spend to chase the dream good luck to them.

Exactly right. The wages we pay are nowhere near what other clubs will be paying for the higher end players for our level.

One signing on the wrong sort of cash will kill the dressing room.

• Former Wanderers target Sam Cosgrove has signed on loan for Wimbledon from Birmingham.
    He only notched 2 goals in 17 appearences for Shrewsbury, so we may have dodged a bullet there.

• I would've tried loaning Tjay out to a League Two/National League side tbh. Give him some proper first team experience. I know Gareth rates him but he's gonna need to play to earn an extension on his deal.

• Uche gone to Cardiff

• Derby being allowed to continue kicking the can down the road has presumably had a bearing on our war chest this January. Their plan of going to arbitration or some court hearing could have happened months ago and we would have welcomed it but now that the window has come to am end suddenly it is urgent. And so, whilst we continue to cut our cloth according to our means this transfer window arguably to the detriment of our chances of returning to the Championship, the administrators at Pride Park have chosen to not raise funds for their creditors in yet another throw of the financial dice.