Skip to content

January transfer window

Comments

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    I take everything back ....in GA we trust lol

Anyone who doesn't is frankly a bit of an idiot. Not aimed specifically at you btw there's a lot of it about.

I never understand why so many people fail to grasp what GA is about.

• Mixed reviews from the Sheff Wed forum, mostly either fine with getting rid, or they think he’s a good player that they didn’t get the best out of:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/308146-lewis-wing-to-portsmouth/

• @PBo said:

@Brownie said:

If this isn't a cryptic tweet for a signing then I think Pete will be very unpopular on Twitter tonight.

he may just be trolling whoever was complaining on here about Guns ‘n’ Roses being played before games…who knows…

It was me, and it’s still an absolute shit song to get the crowd going 10 mins before KO!!

Looks a terrific signing signing, well done Gaz, Rob, Pete and the team ?

• Well he can certainly hit a free kick…who can do that now for us?

• Wycombe doing deals with Middlesbrough eh? Derby Conspiracy theorist assemble

• I like that his goals are more extravagant than his celebrations, priorities.

• edited January 2022

Looks a decent signing as the less defensive of the two in the middle. If Gape is going to be out long term, and Scowen is any longer than a couple weeks we definitely needed bodies in that area.

Hopefully Kaikai can almost be like a new signing in the second half of the season, and with Horgan and even Wheeler not getting that many minutes, unless we moved someone out we have plenty of depth there, certainly budget wise

Hanlan Vokes Bayo with Al-Hammadi hopefully a good prospect up top.

Another genuine wing back or centre back cover would have been good, but not losing anyone and adding in the one place injuries are hurting us right now isn't a bad window at all

• @Wanderers82 said:

@niebieski said:
    Wanderers have made a late swoop into the transfer market to bring Middlesbrough midfielder Lewis Wing to Adams Park, with just minutes of the window remaining.

The 26-year-old has 100 Championship appearances to his name, having developed through the non-league scene with Shildon before leaving for Middlesbrough in 2017, and enjoyed two spells with Rotherham United either side of a loan deal at Yeovil Town.

He spent the first half of this season on loan at Sheffield Wednesday, playing 24 times in total, before making the switch to South Bucks on a deal initially until the end of the season.

Wing has developed a reputation for scoring spectacular efforts from distance, with 24 goals to his name in total in 172 appearances across all senior competitions.

Boss Gareth Ainsworth said: "He's a player I’ve admired for a long time. He’s got real Championship pedigree and once he became available late in the window, I knew I wanted to bring him to the club.

"We always remain patient to bring in the right players for the right deal and we believe this is a real coup for us. He’s a special talent who gives us a big goal threat from midfield and I’m looking forward to seeing him in action."

really ? one area I thought we did. not need to strengthen

He’s a midfielder.

• Looks to be a clever signing. GA building a squad for the future. We also have Freeman to come back, so will have a squad of clever midfielders.

• Well done to the Wanderers management team. Great signing and we continue to cut our cloth...........sustainably! Long may WWFC reign (and it will).

• @micra said:

@Wanderers82 said:

@niebieski said:
    Wanderers have made a late swoop into the transfer market to bring Middlesbrough midfielder Lewis Wing to Adams Park, with just minutes of the window remaining.

The 26-year-old has 100 Championship appearances to his name, having developed through the non-league scene with Shildon before leaving for Middlesbrough in 2017, and enjoyed two spells with Rotherham United either side of a loan deal at Yeovil Town.

He spent the first half of this season on loan at Sheffield Wednesday, playing 24 times in total, before making the switch to South Bucks on a deal initially until the end of the season.

Wing has developed a reputation for scoring spectacular efforts from distance, with 24 goals to his name in total in 172 appearances across all senior competitions.

Boss Gareth Ainsworth said: "He's a player I’ve admired for a long time. He’s got real Championship pedigree and once he became available late in the window, I knew I wanted to bring him to the club.

"We always remain patient to bring in the right players for the right deal and we believe this is a real coup for us. He’s a special talent who gives us a big goal threat from midfield and I’m looking forward to seeing him in action."

really ? one area I thought we did. not need to strengthen

He’s a midfielder.

fair enough , thought he was attacking midfielder rather than enforcer in the scowen , thommo mould

• Looks like a good signing for us . Seems Portsmouth we’re after him as well. Is it a loan or permanent? Seen conflicting reports.

• @davecz said:
    Looks like a good signing for us . Seems Portsmouth we’re after him as well. Is it a loan or permanent? Seen conflicting reports.

singed until end of season

• @mwite said:
    Looks to be a clever signing. GA building a squad for the future. We also have Freeman to come back, so will have a squad of clever midfielders.

Please note, @mooneyman - that’s not me (but I agree with him)!

• @micra said:

@mwite said:
    Looks to be a clever signing. GA building a squad for the future. We also have Freeman to come back, so will have a squad of clever midfielders.

Wing only singed to end of the season I believe though

• I’m going to bed relieved.

• @micra said:
    I’m going to bed relieved.

good for the bladder

• We may not have the crazy money some are throwing at a championship bid but we have a wing and a player

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Just been told by a usually very reliably source that Liam Moore is on his way in. I think on loan (don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't happen!).

there shall be no shooting round these parts.

But.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60208615

• Waaaaah! Need players!! Waaaaah! But not that player! Waaah!

• @PBo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Just been told by a usually very reliably source that Liam Moore is on his way in. I think on loan (don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't happen!).

there shall be no shooting round these parts.

But.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60208615

Did @ReturnToSenda just out himself as a Stoke fan?

• My admiration for RC has also gone up a notch as well.

Taking time out yesterday morning to troll @aloysius. Good work sir

• Welcome to the club Lewis. Looking forward to seeing you in the quarters.

Lewis is an attacking midfielder by trade and would fill a similar role to Mehmeti. He’s not a defensive midfielder like Scowen/Gape/Thompson, though he has been asked to play this role at Wednesday due to Bannon(Captain) being the attacking midfielder.

Very surprised to see such a short playing deal of less than three months, possibly more if we get in the playoffs.

Not sure I understand this deal or how he fits in but in Gareth I trust.

• @Wanderers82 said:

@davecz said:
    Looks like a good signing for us . Seems Portsmouth we’re after him as well. Is it a loan or permanent? Seen conflicting reports.

singed until end of season

Hope we don't get our fingers burnt.

• Looks like he's probably happier a bit further forward but can do both. Scowen, Thompson back after a rest and Wing would let Anis and maybe GMac have a rest too and give us cover and bench options. Ability to bang one in from miles out always welcome too.

• Looks like a good signing to boost competition and potentially offer goals from different areas. We really need Horgan or Kaikai to step up and put pressure on Mcleary and Mehmeti to keep up their levels. If we can have three creative players on form we have a chance at the business end!

• @micra said:

@mwite said:

Duly noted young man!

• Looking at a couple of other videos, along with his distance shooting ability he has a bit of a long range diagonal ball in his locker as well, which would fit in with tactic of finding Vokes from distance and pushing up to support him/get the flick on's and second balls.

I can see him being used as an attacking defensive midfielder - if that makes sense - to arrive later on the edge of the box and hit them from distance if given the chance. A bit like Thompson has on a couple of occasions this season.