Skip to content

January transfer window

Comments

• We've even signed players on loan seemingly 'for the sake of it', though. I imagine the reason he didn't play much was the heart issue (any recent news on that, btw?), but Ofoborh's return felt a bit superfluous at the time.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Sorry if this brings back bad memories for any of you, but who's Neil Davis?

I'm sure someone with a better stat memory than me will join in. An Aston Villa striker who was the next great thing that we managed to sign and despite his best efforts rarely troubled the opposition net. The same era as the flamed hair striker we got from Arsenal (when signing an Arsenal youth player had some kudos) who was equally inept in front of goal.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Striker signed on loan from Aston Villa with a decent reputation (I want to say 96/97 season?)

Played quite a few games for us but never remotely looked like scoring a goal

• @NiceCarrots said:
    We were still saying that after about half the season..

Not sure Greenacre wants to move south, is it worth taking another look at Jo Kuffour and Dean Morgan?

Joker4. I just sicked up in my mouth. Wow we could make this a therapy session listing strikers we signed that we adverse to scoring goals.

• It’s a shame that Ainsworth’s comments about actively chasing some targets and being able to pay some money has wetted the appetite of supporters for some incomings to strengthen the squad. Perhaps in hindsight he should have said nothing.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I think John Gregory brought him in on loan from Villa where he'd been a coach. Scored a hatful for Villa's youth teams. Went back at the end of his loan spell known unfortunately as "Nil" Davis.

I'd like to see another midfielder come in btw but probably good to remember it wouldn't guarantee us automatics and we have a squad capable of reaching the play offs.
    Sky's yellow ticker and seconds left of the transfer window will be doing overtime but the "one more player will get us to where we need to be" agendas in football are a joke and it's not so long since they were displaying a ticker for deadlines for clubs going out of business.
    Worth remembering some of our best signings have been the free agents not picked up by other clubs or late loans for people not going to feature.

• @davecz said:
    It’s a shame that Ainsworth’s comments about actively chasing some targets and being able to pay some money has wetted the appetite of supporters for some incomings to strengthen the squad. Perhaps in hindsight he should have said nothing.

But doesn't he say something to that effect in every window?

• I think the out of contract pool is far smaller in January than September. And if a player has been out of contract for a good while they are not going to be ready to hit the ground running.
    Trying to remain optimistic that Kaikai and Horgan can reach their potential. Optimistic that Josh is almost ready to return. Optimistic that at least one of the development players also has some goals in them.

• Regarding Wakely, he did play against Burton in the Mickey Mouse trophy. He had a huge strapping on his thigh and his movement was absolutely horrendous. It seemed like he could barely run and was really exposed. I presume he was injured still or being severely hampered. If not, and even considering he looked decent against Leicester, he would be nowhere near the team and will be released. He looked in the same boat ‘out of his depth’ as the fullback Clarke (the one released).

For Pendlebury he looks a good prospect but isn’t ready yet obviously as he’s not getting chances. I remember before his goals in the Cheltenham game there was a high ball in our box that he totally missed his header (a kind of comedy, kids football type) which almost cost us a goal. So he has lots to develop I’d bet, but looks a good prospect.

Regarding Oforborh, I read a recent article saying his doctors had advised him he was lucky to be alive, so from that I would assume he has some kind of severe heart defect and needed an implanted defribrillator. You can still play with these in the UK, it’s a matter of personal choice/risk aversion. Really awful for the lad but I’m sure we all wish him the very best whatever he chooses to do.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@davecz said:
    It’s a shame that Ainsworth’s comments about actively chasing some targets and being able to pay some money has wetted the appetite of supporters for some incomings to strengthen the squad. Perhaps in hindsight he should have said nothing.

But this is the first time , he made a comment that he had money to spend!!

• @davecz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@davecz said:

Almost certain he also said that in the summer - when we did spend some money!

• @Quarterman I have to say, your memory of ultimately forgettable - but analytically significant - small events in games is second to none!

• @davecz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@davecz said:

He really didn't go far beyond the fact that he was looking at a better player / class of player than he was able to before. That brings its own challenges if you still want to be responsible and you rate your own players.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

The same era as the flamed hair striker we got from Arsenal (when signing an Arsenal youth player had some kudos) who was equally inept in front of goal.

Paul Read, was it? At least he scored a few, Davis was an absolute dud.

• @ReturnToSenda I think I’m not on the same level of analytics and statistics as you! The missed header from Pendlebury was just such a rare thing to see in men’s football, let alone professional football, that it has really stuck in my mind. I guarantee you that GA and Dobbo (who’ve forgotten more about football than I will ever know) would have remembered it from that Cheltenham game almost more than the goals. I just think it showed he’s not quite ready, but he has huge potential as he’s a lovely player with the ball at his feet.

With regards to Wakely, we’re normally so careful with injuries it was stark to see a player playing who looked so unfit, he really was struggling to move and change direction in that Burton game.

• @Quarterman said:
    Regarding Wakely, he did play against Burton in the Mickey Mouse trophy. He had a huge strapping on his thigh and his movement was absolutely horrendous. It seemed like he could barely run and was really exposed. I presume he was injured still or being severely hampered. If not, and even considering he looked decent against Leicester, he would be nowhere near the team and will be released. He looked in the same boat ‘out of his depth’ as the fullback Clarke (the one released).

For Pendlebury he looks a good prospect but isn’t ready yet obviously as he’s not getting chances. I remember before his goals in the Cheltenham game there was a high ball in our box that he totally missed his header (a kind of comedy, kids football type) which almost cost us a goal. So he has lots to develop I’d bet, but looks a good prospect.

Regarding Oforborh, I read a recent article saying his doctors had advised him he was lucky to be alive, so from that I would assume he has some kind of severe heart defect and needed an implanted defribrillator. You can still play with these in the UK, it’s a matter of personal choice/risk aversion. Really awful for the lad but I’m sure we all wish him the very best whatever he chooses to do.

Wakeley is on a 2 year contract, unlikely to be going anywhere, unless on loan.

• Paul Read scored 2 on debut v York City. Was about as good as it got!

• In this house, Neil Davis will always be known as Nil Davis.

• Big day for some gasroomers, who can now spend the next several months complaining that we didn’t sign The Player Who Would Have Gained Promotion.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Youngish (early 20s) Villa striker we took on loan in probably the late 90s.
    Bit physically weak, not good in the air or particularly fast.

Didn't score at all for us, then slipped into non league where I think he did decently.

• edited January 2022

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I'm sure someone with a better stat memory than me will join in. An Aston Villa striker who was the next great thing that we managed to sign and despite his best efforts rarely troubled the opposition net. The same era as the flamed hair striker we got from Arsenal (when signing an Arsenal youth player had some kudos) who was equally inept in front of goal.

Paul Read was a step up from Davis in fairness, but did come with a fair bit more hype.

Was unfortunate to come to us when we had Stallard and Scott who were always head and shoulders above him, and was never going to oust them.
    Did score a few goals though.> @arnos_grove said:

In this house, Neil Davis will always be known as Nil Davis.

He tried hard, but just didn't have any particularly strong aspects to his game at league level.

• @eric_plant said:
    Paul Read scored 2 on debut v York City. Was about as good as it got!

If memory serves got injured, was never the same, and was eclipsed by Mark Stallard.

• edited January 2022

Just been told by a usually very reliably source that Liam Moore is on his way in. I think on loan (don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't happen!).

• Imagine some of you will be disappointed if we sign a player - shudder the thought

• I'm a bit disappointed but not devastated, the youngsters and squad players have to step up at some point.

If a loan or two still comes in then that's fine, just a little freshen up is all we need

• @kiscokid said:
    Imagine some of you will be disappointed if we sign a player - shudder the thought

I’d have been disappointed if we’d signed Jermaine Defoe.

• @floyd said:

@kiscokid said:
    Imagine some of you will be disappointed if we sign a player - shudder the thought

I’d have been disappointed if we’d signed Jermaine Defoe.

Same

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Just been told by a usually very reliably source that Liam Moore is on his way in. I think on loan (don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't happen!).

I would be happy with this

• edited January 2022

@username123 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I would be happy with this

Yup, bridges burnt with some fairly ungrateful fans at Reading I believe, one for the move now or risk twiddling thumbs for months criteria

• There’s clearly something horrendous going on at Reading, and he used to play with McCleary at club and also country if I’m correct? Did McCleary represent Jamaica? I’m not sure if he would have played with Obita though.