Skip to content

January transfer window

Comments

• Not sure that journo is legit, but I've heard it through the grapevine. We shall see...

• @Wendoverman said:
    Surprised Pendlebury hasnt had more minutes he's got two goals this season hasn't he? Or am I dreaming?

Yes he scored two great goals at Cheltenham, that said the game was passing him by in mid field against bang average opponents.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@kiscokid said:
    Imagine some of you will be disappointed if we sign a player - shudder the thought

I’d have been disappointed if we’d signed Jermaine Defoe.

Same

I would have enjoyed his career symmetry. We saw a young Defoe that was so far beyond any player on display at AP that day it was like he was playing a different sport. And then seeing him finish his career squinting to see a high ball punted by Stewart would just seem almost poetic.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Not sure that journo is legit, but I've heard it through the grapevine. We shall see...

He's already changed his mind

• Scrolling down a little further, there's no chance that guy is an actual journalist.

• @Brownie said:
    Scrolling down a little further, there's no chance that guy is an actual journalist.

Oh dear, apologies for giving him air, had been liked by some reliable types already, clearly just a moron.

• oxford making some signings also, our rivals are seeing the need to strengthen....at this rate our rivals next year be Accy and Morecombe!

• Morecombe?

• @Wanderers82 said:
    oxford making some signings also, our rivals are seeing the need to strengthen....at this rate our rivals next year be Accy and Morecombe!

You do know that all teams are still only allowed to put 11 players on the pitch, don't you? Irrespective of how many signings they make?

• @micra said:
    Morecombe?

When you think you've seen all of Wycombe but you discover they've just built a new development

• We were briefly Coombe Martin in the ‘90s.

• @micra said:
    We were briefly Coombe Martin in the ‘90s.

On reflection, that’s very silly.

• And Ivorcombe. Plenty of new development.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    oxford making some signings also, our rivals are seeing the need to strengthen....at this rate our rivals next year be Accy and Morecombe!

Why so pessimistic? I think you need to look at the bigger picture for a moment. We still have all the players who have taken us to within four points of top spot and with Scowen, Gape and Freeman recovering from injury. You make it sound like we are facing the threat of relegation!

• @glasshalffull said:

@Wanderers82 said:

Why so pessimistic? I think you need to look at the bigger picture for a moment. We still have all the players who have taken us to within four points of top spot and with Scowen, Gape and Freeman recovering from injury. You make it sound like we are facing the threat of relegation!

absolutely, however most of these players could easily leave if we don't achieve promotion, we have an amazing opportunity this season and fear with no recruits we will rue and regret going for it ....maybe we are relying on the derby cash....thinking too far ahead

• edited January 2022

If we dont go up @Wanderers82, "some" players may leave (as they do at every club every season), but I trust Gareth will get good replacements which will any case freshen up the squad.

• Wanderers82, with respect I think you are looking to far ahead. Seventeen games to go, no need to worry about next season till we’ve finished this one.

• We've got an alright looking run-in as well.

If we keep everyone fit (big if, obviously) we will go very close indeed

• When we were top I thought Automatic would be nice...but we mostly thought it would probably take the play-offs to get promotion or we might be just outside top six didn't we?

• we still have Wigan, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham to play at home as well as Pompey away, we have been poor against the top teams

• @glasshalffull said:

@Wanderers82 said:

The pessimism is less about what we have now and more about what could be. We are wafer thin in some areas and it shows when we have illness and injury. A bit of key cover would be great. The centre of midfield and the centre of defence especially. Forino has shown a great potential - but he's only played 5 or 6 professional games. The centre of midfield with no Josh is simply not functional and clearly Pendlebury is not trusted yet.

• He no longer drops in my feed but @Wanderers82 pessimistic about this team? Surely some mistake?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@glasshalffull said:

@Wanderers82 said:

The pessimism is less about what we have now and more about what could be. We are wafer thin in some areas and it shows when we have illness and injury. A bit of key cover would be great. The centre of midfield and the centre of defence especially. Forino has shown a great potential - but he's only played 5 or 6 professional games. The centre of midfield with no Josh is simply not functional and clearly Pendlebury is not trusted yet.

Agree it’s not pessimism it is about having a push with a couple of extra players to give Ainsworth the best change of promotion. We are short of cover in central midfield and centre back. A couple of more injuries will really expose the depth of the squad to compete at the top level of League 1. We are in a great position , why not exploit it. Be too late in May.

• Got to get in quick before Paul Cook becomes Sunderland manager and buys every player available to ensure their promotion.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    we still have Wigan, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham to play at home as well as Pompey away, we have been poor against the top teams

Yep, just the draws away with Wigan, Wednesday and Rotherham, and the sporting (and emotional) dismantling of Plymouth. Very poor.

• edited January 2022

@floyd said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    we still have Wigan, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham to play at home as well as Pompey away, we have been poor against the top teams

Yep, just the draws away with Wigan, Wednesday and Rotherham, and the sporting (and emotional) dismantling of Plymouth. Very poor.

Plus the win and draw v Oxford and draw v Sunderland

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@Wanderers82 said:

Plus the win and draw v Oxford and draw v Sunderland

Quite. It's the dropped points against Morecambe and Fleetwood that are costing us at the moment.

• We played well v Sunderland away too, despite the result