Skip to content

January transfer window

Comments

• Email from Rob this morning has 'As of now, we have not found anyone in this window who will improve our squad for a price that we want to pay. We like our team. In part, this is because Gareth, Dobbo, Pete, Sam Grace, and the entire staff have done such a phenomenal job with our developmental squad.'

Looks like we wont see the flashing yellow twitter notice today.

• @niebieski said:
    Email from Rob this morning has 'As of now, we have not found anyone in this window who will improve our squad for a price that we want to pay. We like our team. In part, this is because Gareth, Dobbo, Pete, Sam Grace, and the entire staff have done such a phenomenal job with our developmental squad.'

Looks like we wont see the flashing yellow twitter notice today.

That still leaves the door open for a couple of loans.

• Might has well shut this thread down then. Bit of a downer. Opportunity missed in my humble opinion as I felt with the right tweaks to the squad we could have pushed on to secure a play off spot.
    Worst case scenario now is that we get further injuries in areas where we are already exposed. Best case scenario we get some players back and a couple of the development players also get a chance and take it.
    I was hoping for something positive to get the vile stench of Saturday out of the place. Not so.

• No signing > the wrong signing

• If that is true, it’s very disappointing. A couple of additions , in my view , would help our push to secure a play off place. Not sure we have the squad for automatic promotion.

• A chance for some of the development squad to shine as and when needed.

The Couhigs' determination to keep the club running in a sustainable fashion should be a lesson for myriad others to learn from.

• "Not found anyone in this window who will improve our squad for the price we want to pay". An great example of how to make football sustainable. We are not a club that intend to jump in, roll the dice and risk everything.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    "Not found anyone in this window who will improve our squad for the price we want to pay". An great example of how to make football sustainable. We are not a club that intend to jump in, roll the dice and risk everything.

1. If only Derby at been run this way
    2. I don’t read this as ‘we 100% will not be signing anybody today’. In fact if we are in talks with a club over a transfer then I see it as all part of the negotiations.
    3. Saw Chris Greenacre at Turnpike petrol station just now.
  • this i feel means no promotion for us , why did GA make reference a couple of weeks ago and say watch this space? we need to bolster CM and CB, seems we are going to throw all our hard work away , have we not seen we are not the same side with players like Scowen and Vokes missing (don't think he will re-sign if we don't go up ) looks like another season in league 1 next season

• edited January 2022

Signing the wrong player and damaging the culture that's made us so successful would really be throwing all our hard work away. We won't sign someone if they're not the right fit or it doesn't make business sense. This shouldn't be news to anyone.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    this i feel means no promotion for us , why did GA make reference a couple of weeks ago and say watch this space? we need to bolster CM and CB, seems we are going to throw all our hard work away , have we not seen we are not the same side with players like Scowen and Vokes missing (don't think he will re-sign if we don't go up ) looks like another season in league 1 next season

I’m sure he has seen the Scowen / Vokes issue and said himself that Vokes would have started on Saturday had he trained more than 10mins on Friday.

But I personally cannot think of 1 player with clear Championship ability who would revel in coming to us in the way Scowen would, and certainly nobody of ex International and Premier League quality to be backup to Vokes.

At CB I do feel we are not strong enough, but it’s a fine line to bring in someone who could ruffle both Stewart and Taffs feathers when they are out of contract at the end of the season and they are already better than most CB’s in the league.

• If Gape & Scowen are going to be back imminently then I do not have a huge issue with not signing a CM. However, if they are going to be out for any length of time then we absolutely need cover.
    What's happened to Wakeling - he looked so good against Leicester. Perhaps, he is close to being back as well?

• edited January 2022

Wakely's been fit for ages, just isn't at first-team level yet

• Everything about the chairman’s letter is class but I do worry that neglecting to bolster the squad during a critical phase of the season could be a bad decision.

Secondly I couldn’t help but wonder why we crow on about these analysts when we barely sign anyone.

There will be plenty of young players with fantastic attitudes wanting to join us this window. I do think a well planned loan from a great talent (rewind and think Eze) would give us the shot in the arm to maintain top 5.

• edited January 2022

But we haven't neglected to bolster to the squad - we've had a look, the right player/players wasn't/weren't available and, as is our policy, not just done business for the sake of it. But we get these same moans every January... I'm happy to trust our recruitment team's judgement.

• Would be nice to know how soon Scowen and Gape are to a return really, as we could then take a better informed view of signing no-one in this window.

Scowen being out for a while will probably cost is a shot at automatic promotion in my opinion.

If we can get him back and keep him fit (along with everyone else!) we have a very good chance of finishing top two

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I'm very surprised at that. He looked very good in the friendly and well worth a go in a back three. Explains why I'm not a football mamager.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    But we haven't neglected to bolster to the squad - we've had a look, the right player/players wasn't/weren't available and, as is our policy, not just done business for the sake of it. But we get these same moans every January... I'm happy to trust our recruitment team's judgement.

It's plain for most to see that we are struggling in CM without Gape and Scowen. We need a replacement there without a doubt.

I do agree with the club policy that we should not be overpaying for that replacement or breaking our financial model.

Where this always divides opinion is that there must be another Mawson, Eze, Adeniran, available within our financial budget who hasn't perhaps played much first team football. I cannot believe there is no-one out there that wouldn't strengthen our back-up options for the remaining games and that is within our budget / ethical requirements.

• edited January 2022

@Wendoverman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I'm very surprised at that. He looked very good in the friendly and well worth a go in a back three. Explains why I'm not a football mamager.

Well, I'm assuming that - as he was fit again but hasn't made a matchday squad as far as I remember.

• Oh well close the thread down.

• I have no information, no background, no stats, but I am still excited to see Al Hamadi play. Might be Neil Davis, might be Tony Horseman. Who knows

• @Commoner said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's plain for most to see that we are struggling in CM without Gape and Scowen. We need a replacement there without a doubt.

I do agree with the club policy that we should not be overpaying for that replacement or breaking our financial model.

Where this always divides opinion is that there must be another Mawson, Eze, Adeniran, available within our financial budget who hasn't perhaps played much first team football. I cannot believe there is no-one out there that wouldn't strengthen our back-up options for the remaining games and that is within our budget / ethical requirements.

We are a little bit short in midfield, but overspending or signing someone who doesn't fit the culture would be more detrimental than leaving things as they are and making do wit what we've got.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I have no information, no background, no stats, but I am still excited to see Al Hamadi play. Might be Neil Davis, might be Tony Horseman. Who knows

Or a Trevor Aylott.

• Sorry if this brings back bad memories for any of you, but who's Neil Davis?

• I think if the right player at the right price is not available in January on a permanent basis I think that it absolutely makes sense not to sign anyone.

However, use of the loan market to bring in a young player for the next 3 months would be useful. Given the current situation, if we added a player such as Adeniran in central midfield, that may make the difference between 5th or 7th. As a general rule, I appreciate the move away from loans to focus on the development squad, but given Gape’s long term injury, and Pendlebury is not deemed ready (and Leathers is out on loan) I cannot see the issue with bringing on a loan or two, in midfield of defence.

• genuinely we had a great shout at promotion this season, just wish that GA did not raise our expectations in his interview, obviously we are just settling for league 1 again and we Will lose our best players at the end of the season ....

• I suppose we can agree or disagree with Rob's approach and with Gareth and Dobbo not finding someone to mix in the play-off pot but at least he has told us. I know patience is not that much of a thing in football but, for me, the club is heading in the right direction and having a decent team to watch regularly pushing at the top of League One is not a disaster. When we are good we are very good. I am still optimistic we will make the playoffs. (Other opinions are available!)

• We were still saying that after about half the season..

Not sure Greenacre wants to move south, is it worth taking another look at Jo Kuffour and Dean Morgan?

• Surprised Pendlebury hasnt had more minutes he's got two goals this season hasn't he? Or am I dreaming?

• Starting 11 wise we are very strong but would have liked to see us bring in at least 1 player this window, preferably a CB for cover. Will be disappointed to not see anyone come in.