Skip to content

January transfer window

Comments

• He will certainly be familiar with long ball tactics, with two spells at Rotherham, and working under Warnock and briefly Chris Wilder.

• Just spoken to a Middlesbrough fan said we are getting a cracking player really disappointed he has been allowed to leave. Very fast and will light up the midfield.

• edited February 2022

As we well know by now, negative comments from fans of previous clubs = absolute quality player. Just the latest mark of how far we've come as a club in such a short space of time. Not always helpful to compare players with differing roles, but he could instantly become our best midfielder.

• @TheDancingYak said:
    Looking at a couple of other videos, along with his distance shooting ability he has a bit of a long range diagonal ball in his locker as well, which would fit in with tactic of finding Vokes from distance and pushing up to support him/get the flick on's and second balls.

the new Stefan Oakes

• @PBo said:

@TheDancingYak said:
    Looking at a couple of other videos, along with his distance shooting ability he has a bit of a long range diagonal ball in his locker as well, which would fit in with tactic of finding Vokes from distance and pushing up to support him/get the flick on's and second balls.

the new Stefan Oakes

If he is, then I really hope he is more agile. I seem to recall Oakes having a bigger turning circle than the QE2.

• Not sure he’s right for us. Several on here were keen for us to sign a 20 goal a season player. As a youngster (aged about 20, I think) ‘Wingy’ scored 37 goals in one season for Shildon in the very tough Northern League. Far too many for an attacking midfielder. And to reassure @Wanderers82, he has been signed on a permanent basis until the end of the season - a sensible decision by both him and the club pending uncertainty about where we’ll be next season.

• Anyone fancy voting for Lewis Wing to win Sheffield Weds POTM for January?

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2022/january/vote-for-your-january-player-of-the-month/

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Anyone fancy voting for Lewis Wing to win Sheffield Weds POTM for January?

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2022/january/vote-for-your-january-player-of-the-month/

I hope WW fans are above interfering in the sanctity of another club's poll.

I also hope that they refuse to take advantage of the fact that you can vote more than once using multiple browsers.

• Be interesting to see how Weds do. Dennis Adeniran is out for the rest of the season having torn his ACL.
    They've lost him and Wing who had made 40 plus league appearances between themselves so far this season.

• Y…e…s?

• Oh, you’ve deleted it!!

• Wing looks a decent fit for our midfield needs. He can ply the holding role and also comfortable further forward. Could be a very good signing to bolster that midfield along with Thompson and Scowen.

Surprising last minute signing but could prove to be a gem. Only wish we could have got a CB in as well but maybe a free agent deal still to come, you never know.

• BSEBSE
    edited February 2022

Can't get the photo on to the page for some reason, but found this entertaining from the Sheffield Wednesday forum.

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_02/1223113862_LordOfTheWings2.thumb.png.8231a87f88d6d0b6fdb4f64222c87b49.png

@micra sorry left you high and dry!

• Does no-one share my opinion that Chris Forino is already pushing for a place? Only seen him once but he looked pretty impressive all over the pitch.

• @micra said:
    Does no-one share my opinion that Chris Forino is already pushing for a place? Only seen him once but he looked pretty impressive all over the pitch.

I do. Stewart, Tafazolli, JJ, Forino and Grimmer (although probably only in a three) as CB options looks pretty good to me...

• Reminds me a bit of the Vircavs situation all those years ago. Seemed to come from nowhere but very quickly established himself as a first class centre half.

• Does that link work @BSE ?

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Does that link work @BSE ?

If you mean the one i posted i hope so!, if its your post i'm afraid its blank under your text.

• That’s weird I can view content on my post under the title text. Not sure what is going on if you can’t see it.

• I think Taff will have to up his game a bit to keep ahead of Forino @micra. So yes I agree with you.

• @BSE link doesn't work ‘forbidden’

• Right it will be much less funny now with all the build up!, and credit still goes to the Sheffield Wednesday guy, uploaded to the same file location for the match day photos so markup should work now.

• Forino looks a good prospect, but I wouldn't in a million years want to have him playing for a long stretch.

As backup for the odd game, he's proved himself, but there's still an obvious gulf between him and Stewart/Tafa IMO.

That's not a slight on him, they're two proven top L1 defenders who could play championship whereas he's in his first half as a season in the pro game. The top end of league 1 is not the place to learn the ropes though

• Do we think Dele will shine for Everton?

• Have seen quite a few questioning Wing's work rate. Not necessarily fans of his previous clubs being hysterical either, but I think I'll defer to Gaz and Dobbo's judgement on this one...

• After he chose Everton and not us, I’m not bothered

• Sunderland fans thought Scowen could not tackle or pass.?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Do we think Dele will shine for Everton?

Not sure too many of us will care very much, @Wendoverman. Seems an atypical post for you. Motivation?

• @micra said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Do we think Dele will shine for Everton?

Not sure too many of us will care very much, @Wendoverman. Seems an atypical post for you. Motivation?

A weak moment. I thought it was an incredible deal Everton got for a highly rated 25 year old...pay nowt now and only £10 million at the end of the season or something. Perhaps he will be crap and we'll be playing The Toffees and The Toon next season ?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sunderland fans thought Scowen could not tackle or pass.?

He's doing neither at the moment!