Skip to content

Millwall Fans Today

Comments

• edited December 2020

@LDF you also never actually replied to whether you were white and claiming to be the victim of multiple racist incidents, or black/ brown/ other unless I'm being blind.

Wouldn't normally matter, but I'm going to be honest and say that it will change my opinion of your view as I've yet to meet a single white person claiming that sort of thing happening multiple times to them who hasn't just been an outright racist asking for it. In fact one of the incidents I described that ended in a fight culminated in exactly that scenario/ excuse to the police

Controversial I'm sure, but to be honest I'm beyond the point of caring about being totally fair, because treading lightly allows cess pit opinions to spread.

• Born in the 1960s and brought up on a rough almost all white council estate in the Midlands. I've been 'studying' racism since the 1970s. I knows it when I sees it.

• People are of course entitled to their own opinions having read pages of opinion here and from their own sources, in mine the Marxism CRT argument is not the primary concern of those booing, nor is it based on a warning coming from economists, it's being applied specifically to slander a global protest movement and justify booing players who have no links to the organisation whilst performing an anti racist symbol. We have heard opinions of players , they aren't calling for anything beyond understanding and representation.

Primarily though who is this about?

For Black players and fans not to be able to peacefully show their chosen anti racist message for fear of being shouted down sends terrible messages that they simply aren't welcome

What is the downside of people being asked not to boo in a closed club environment? They'd have to read the programme, play with their phone for a minute, turn their backs even, maybe write a letter.

Taking the knee is a bit like gay marriage, if you don't want to do it you don't have to, you don't have to watch it or support it. People who don't agree should still be able to respect those that do without obstructing them.

There's a suggestion that this is all lefties trying to control the real people whereas the booers are the ones trying to get taking the knee cancelled and stop the players free speech, and right wing groups have always tried to wind up working class people to suggest that equal rights would be a threat to them.

There was a slur/ reference earlier to corporate diversity training, I've found it really helps an organisation to make sure it's employees are cared for and understood as well as represented and respected and that this helps not only address conscious and sub contious bias but makes sure customers are also heard and understood and that all rather than the usual opinions are heard and that correct informed decisions are made.

• @micra I wrote that in a hurry with my poor grey matter in a muddle, I was lucky that was the only idiomatic error I made!

• @Username said:
    @LDF you also never actually replied to whether you were white and claiming to be the victim of multiple racist incidents, or black/ brown/ other unless I'm being blind.

Wouldn't normally matter, but I'm going to be honest and say that it will change my opinion of your view as I've yet to meet a single white person claiming that sort of thing happening multiple times to them who hasn't just been an outright racist asking for it. In fact one of the incidents I described that ended in a fight culminated in exactly that scenario/ excuse to the police

Controversial I'm sure, but to be honest I'm beyond the point of caring about being totally fair, because treading lightly allows cess pit opinions to spread.

If I wanted to be identified on here I'd use my real name: I don't. Explaining my heritage will make it fairly obvious who I am. I've poured out not just my mind but my heart to try and explain how worried I am that certain fashionable ideas are making racism worse. If that makes me a racist in your mind, it saddens me but I will have to accept that.

• Can you remember when you could not turn on the radio or the TV without hearing Beery Nigel complaining about being silenced...
    '

• edited December 2020

Things are always bound to get temporarily get worse just before a big break through, it's natural for those whose views are being eliminated... And rightly... To fight back.

We'll see what happens later, but my money is on Millwall disgracing themselves, and football.

On the plus side there's a very outside chance this could really mess up their season and help keep us up

And I know it's not the way the internet works, but I would honestly have zero problem anyone knowing my identity (I'm pretty sure a fair few do), because I'm not ashamed of it and I truly believe it.

This is an anonymous site, so it's different, but hiding behind anonymous accounts on Facebook/Twitter is a standard for people expressing your type of views because they know they're posting things which are widely unacceptable, despite their claims of being the "silent majority"

• edited December 2020

@Username said:

We'll see what happens later, but my money is on Millwall disgracing themselves, and football.

I'm not sure without knowing all of the people involved or their individual motives you can make such a judgement @Username :wink:

• edited December 2020

@Wendoverman said:

@Username said:

I'm not sure without knowing all of the people involved or their individual motives you can make such a judgement @Username :wink:

It would be quite funny to ask each Millwall fan there to explain in 3 paragraphs, using their favourite crayons, why they oppose the taking of a knee against racism, even after being told it's not in support of a political party. I'm sure the answers would definitely clear up the situation for them (and everyone else) if they're allowed to get their voices heard!

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    @micra I wrote that in a hurry with my poor grey matter in a muddle, I was lucky that was the only idiomatic error I made!

It felt so petty to even mention it. I have made huge efforts to control the English teacher in me over the last year or so and the only reason I commented was that, compared with the difficulty I’d been having getting my head round many of the long and convoluted arguments preceding it, your post was characteristically well set out and I was kinda congratulating myself on having understood it and, knowing you to be a fellow linguist, I was confident that I knew what you’d intended.

@LDF is an intriguing character but I rather lost the plot (totally at this point) when the CRT debate with @Username fired up.

I will long treasure the “fuck me sideways and call me Suzie” expression though.

• This made me laugh anyway. Racists it will only make you angry.
    Richard Littlejohn is ranting on the Mail website for you...strangely not yet silenced by the PC brigade controlling the media.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/dec/08/david-squires-on-the-booing-of-footballers-taking-a-knee

• Interesting debate. Saddening at times

I have a genuine question and would be interested to hear an answer to it from anyone who DISAGREES with taking the Knee.

If all of the political context and media was taken out of the equation, and it was just about showing support for Black people (or BAME) and to do this for a prolonged period of time. Would you still disagree with it as a concept and Why?

I have my own assumptions as to why someone might disagree with it, but I will leave it as open question.

• @LDF said:

@Username said:

If I wanted to be identified on here I'd use my real name: I don't. Explaining my heritage will make it fairly obvious who I am. I've poured out not just my mind but my heart to try and explain how worried I am that certain fashionable ideas are making racism worse. If that makes me a racist in your mind, it saddens me but I will have to accept that.

So you are supporting Millwall fans booing players taking the knee to try and discourage an anti-white agenda (that I’m sure most people have never heard of) that you feel will have an adverse impact on black people?

• @Wendoverman said:
    @NewburyWanderer thanks for that. Its been years now though and I'm still.not sure who this certain section of society that is oppressing us with political correctness is? It does not seem to be very good at stopping racists getting on telly, in Parliament, writing in newspapers, on social media, marching in the street fighting with policemen, pissing on memorials and booing black players at football matches. If people chose they can still hate blacks, asians and gay people but if political correctness means they have to keep it down at work or in the media I'm all for it myself.

In no way am I denigrating any measures to eliminate racism, sexism etc. from public life, but I get a bit weary of the way a certain subset of the population (the so-called 'PC' or 'woke' generation) act and speak as if they are the only true moral guardians of society, and how they adopt a holier-than-thou attitude when doing so, or use their intellect as a form of snobbery to put down others. Everyone has a responsibility to rid the world of bad things, but equally everyone should also be able to put opposing views forward without fear of recrimination (but as part of a proper debate in an appropriate setting, not by booing in a football ground).

• edited December 2020

@NewburyWanderer I get you. What I'm saying is as far as I can see there are people on the left saying we're right and you're wrong and people on the right saying we're right and you're wrong... and though they like to bleat it neither are actually being silenced. I don't believe there is a PC brigade oppressing or controlling me any more than the vast majority of people are a silent majority of right-wing racists denied a voice. Young people are designed to say and do things that old people don't like, they are designed not to share the same values as the previous generation or there is no progress. And old people are designed to believe no-one is listening to them, values are disappearing and civilisation and all that is right and good is going to hell in a handcart. If you are familiar with the classic that is 'Hard Days Night' we have to remember, WE are now (or at least in danger of becoming) the sneering old man in the train carriage.

• edited December 2020

@NewburyWanderer said:

. Everyone has a responsibility to rid the world of bad things, but equally everyone should also be able to put opposing views forward without fear of recrimination (but as part of a proper debate in an appropriate setting, not by booing in a football ground).

What happens when the allowing of certain views directly or indirectly affects other people's lives? Should they be allowed to share them without fear of recriminations?

I agree with your premise with the caveat of "so long as that view doesn't negatively impact others lives due to something out of their control" (ie race/ sex/ sexual orientation). I firmly believe that a good section of those booing fall outside of that

• @Username said:
    Also, I didn't pick it up at first, but I'm pretty sure the only other time I've seen LDF pop up on here was defending racism a while back.

I've just seen this. Now I'm not just sad, I'm fucking angry. You have NEVER seen me defending racism and I want you to renounce that remark immediately.

• @LDF said:

@Username said:
    Also, I didn't pick it up at first, but I'm pretty sure the only other time I've seen LDF pop up on here was defending racism a while back.

I've just seen this. Now I'm not just sad, I'm fucking angry. You have NEVER seen me defending racism and I want you to renounce that remark immediately.

Not just renounce it - remove it!

• @LDF said:

@LDF said:

@Username said:

If it helps I have seen you adopt a position that can, reasonably, be interpreted as supporting racists

• Just a note of observation: You don't have to be of BAME heritage to be a victim of racism! Also the definition of racism appears to have spread wider like a huge fat arse over a seat at Adams Park as the years have rolled on in my lifetime. What was a "joke" in the 1970's would now have some screaming "you can't say that", in 2020s. As such, one persons definition of racism differs to another, usually age related. How many on here can say they have never started a joke with "there was an Irishman, Welshman & an Englishman in a pub?" This leads me to the actions at Millwall, would those that expressed their displeasure be of more senior years perhaps? Could they possibly be influenced by older generations that feel they are being "oppressed/ignored" by the ever expanding BAME population on their turf?

I can't remember any group "taking the knee" until the black population of USA did as a reaction to the manner of death of George Floyd. The life of George Floyd hasn't enjoyed the best of publicity post his funeral in general. Typical of general media, "sensationalism" sells & once the funeral was over, his life of drugs & crime became the focus of news media & social media attention. From my observations, the BAME population of London, then took up the practice, in the middle of a pandemic and marched through the streets of London, which then gave food to the racists. Some of those protests led to violence/unattractive scenes. So I can see why, despite the statements of footballers/FA/players representative groups etc, have fallen on deaf/ignorant ears and taking the knee is not received well. This is why I suggested that taking out the gesture from the prematch ritual, replace it with another form, (pre match huddle?), this will remove the connection & therefore the stated reason for booing. In summary take away the food & starve the stated reasoning. It can only then be outright racism if abuse is shown?

• edited December 2020

@LDF said:

@Username said:

Answering whether you're white, black, asian, mixed heritage etc surely wouldn't come close to identifying you in any way?!
    No-one knows whether you go to Wycombe games, are a regular or anything about you!?
    I'd never seen you post before the other day - although I can see you've made a handful of posts previously.

And the gasroom doesn't exactly have 1,000s of people reading it anyway - or have anyone who is even close to knowing every fan?!

Obviously you don't have to divulge anything about yourself, but it's quite an interesting thing to say.

• @Username said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

. Everyone has a responsibility to rid the world of bad things, but equally everyone should also be able to put opposing views forward without fear of recrimination (but as part of a proper debate in an appropriate setting, not by booing in a football ground).

What happens when the allowing of certain views directly or indirectly affects other people's lives? Should they be allowed to share them without fear of recriminations?

I agree with your premise with the caveat of "so long as that view doesn't negatively impact others lives due to something out of their control" (ie race/ sex/ sexual orientation). I firmly believe that a good section of those booing fall outside of that

In principle, when feelings become paramount over truth or reason, you're heading in the wrong direction. If you aspire for your generation to make things better than now rather than just different, you have to be willing to consider the possibility that the ideas you presently hold may be susceptible to amendment or improvement. To do that, you're going to need to hear some ideas you don't currently think are correct. Some of them won't be and some of them will be. Until you hear them, you won't be positioned to make the judgement soundly. The narrowing of the boundaries of "acceptable" speech you seem to prescribe is not going to make things better. The people with the really bad ideas won't stop having them; they'll just go underground and come out again when you least want them too.

• LDFLDF
    edited December 2020

@bookertease said:

@LDF said:

@LDF said:

@Username said:

If it helps I have seen you adopt a position that can, reasonably, be interpreted as supporting racists

You're talking shit but if you want to interpret my concern that racial progress is going backwards as racism, so be it. Username has said he's seen me defending racism in the past and I will state categorically that I have never previously discussed the issue in The Gasroom.

• @Malone said:

@LDF said:

@Username said:

Answering whether you're white, black, asian, mixed heritage etc surely wouldn't come close to identifying you in any way?!

Sorry, it would and I don't want that.

• I actually think the Millwall fans were booing Kazeem Richards who was standing and doing the black power salute not the players on their knee
    . This would have been like a red rag to a bull. Also Kazeem Richards was banned last season for antisemitism towards a player! The bloke is trouble.

• Really interesting comments from Micah Richards on R5. Can’t find a transcript sadly but if there is one listen.
    In essence was saying of course racism is unacceptable but there is a political side to specifically the BLM movement ( eg defund police, statues) that he doesn’t agree with. Booing the political element is free speech so there is arguably a grey area although he suspects he knows why Millwall supporters were booing.
    He said it far more eloquently than I have done justice too though.

• @Chickenhead do you have a source for the claim that Kazeem Richards was banned for anti-semitism? I can find reports of bans for swearing at referees and for threatening journalists, but not anti-semitism. Its a serious charge so it would be good to have evidence.

• Many apologies it was homaphobic gestures to Brighton fans.

• Clearly a subject close to your heart, and not just a convenient stick to beat him with.

• The lady protests to much.