Skip to content

Match day thread: Brentford (League Cup)

Comments

• 47% of the play in that half came in Brentford's third, we've done a great job of boxing them in.

• @drcongo said:
    Very pleased with that performance so far. Especially impressed with Parker.

He's a very tidy player. Good chance in the first few mins.
    Just feel he needs something extra to be a regular.

• @drcongo said:
    Very pleased with that performance so far. Especially impressed with Parker.

Agreed, Parker has been very good.

• Decent half keep going lads.

• Welcome @Ram_N_Chairboy

I thought we did ok actually, created a few chances, Samuel and Parker doing well. We're definitely going to be a set piece team arent we !

• Samuel doing well. Not sure how someone getting hit in the face by the ball is an example of our 'physicality' though.

• @Ram_N_Chairboy got it right! And I bet @Right_in_the_Middle thought that free kick was harsh!
    Good passing game, as I expected and, apart from not getting over that cross to score, Josh Parker has performed well.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Well our B team weren't doing too badly against their B team...long way to go though. Definite foul by JJ.

Would probably need a man of @chairboyscentral to analyse how many of their guys are regulars.
    But they certainly look a level above when they play it around.

We're harrying them superbly, but the big difference in class was shown when Freeman picked it up in absolutely acres of space, then just gave it away under no pressure.

JJ having a little bit of a torrid time against their nippy winger too.

All in though, doing decently.

Need to get Fred on you'd think.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Ram_N_Chairboy said:
    Be interesting to see who you have as your main striker , uche has potential but only scored 2 in 23 games in a league no where near as hard as the championship

Fred should be our biggest goal threat

He's more of a winger though isn't he? Great player though really come along this season

• Could this (BBC website) be any more Wycombe:

“ Attempt saved. Alex Samuel (Wycombe Wanderers) right footed shot from outside the box is saved in the bottom left corner. Assisted by Ryan Allsop.”

• This half hasn't been awful for us. While we are lacking the finishing touch, it's not like we have played badly.

• Absolutely tailor made for Fred and Scotty.

• Bayo knows.

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Well our B team weren't doing too badly against their B team...long way to go though. Definite foul by JJ.

Would probably need a man of @chairboyscentral to analyse how many of their guys are regulars.

We're harrying them superbly, but the big difference in class was shown when Freeman picked it up in absolutely acres of space, then just gave it away under no pressure.

I think Pinnock and Henry (usually at LB) are the only regular starters, but Jensen, Marcondes and Canos are all regulars - and Fosu and Toney will be.

• Defence doing a good job as well. Grimmer playing well. We could still get something out of this certainly.not being humiliated considering its Brentford and no Fred Scotty or Mccarthy yet. Good signs

• @micra said:
    @Ram_N_Chairboy got it right! And I bet @Right_in_the_Middle thought that free kick was harsh!
    Good passing game, as I expected and, apart from not getting over that cross to score, Josh Parker has performed well.

Agreed. The Brentford player wasn't near enough to JJ for his lunge to be intent. I do worry as we go up a league these types of things will happen more often.
    The few time Brentford did click they looked a good side. Our pressing will become harder and harder to do as the game goes on.

• Excellent pressing. We really stopped them playing out, although some of Brentford’s passing was dreadful.

Freeman has been way off the pace.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

I think Pinnock and Henry (usually at LB) are the only regular starters, but Jensen, Marcondes and Canos are all regulars - and Fosu and Toney will be.

Quite scary that they have much better players to come in, isn't it!

But, we all know it's not the likes of Brentford we need to worry too much about, it's the Coventry, Rotherham and a few others!

• @Ram_N_Chairboy said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Ram_N_Chairboy said:
    Be interesting to see who you have as your main striker , uche has potential but only scored 2 in 23 games in a league no where near as hard as the championship

Fred should be our biggest goal threat

He's more of a winger though isn't he? Great player though really come along this season

Bit of both but most likely our main central forward will be detailed to hold the ball up, hassle and chase rather than be an all out goalhanger, we might not score masses of goals but need to keep it together and grab the points just often enough to try and survive.

This match is reminding me already of when we first went up to L1 and played really well in good patches but got caught out a lot, need to keep plugging away, we aren't out of it by any standards.

• @micra said:
    Bayo knows.

Yep, it was a pretty soft free kick.
    JJ didn't touch the guy, and Wheeler's challenge was 100% clean.

• Doesn't have to touch him for it to be a foul

• Brentford have 9 internationals away apparently!

• Toney diving again

• Am I blind? Gape got all of the ball.

• That's a terrible decision

• Perfectly good tackle that. Modern football is shit.

• Ridiculous. Commentator calling that a definite red is a complete joke.

• If that ridiculous decision can't be overturned would gape start the season banned?

• Disastrous for both this game and missing the next three