Skip to content

Match day thread: Brentford (League Cup)

Comments

• Looks like a passing team.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    A lot of teams are treating these games as half-friendly, though. As long as we give a good account of ourselves, the result doesn't matter.

Of course the result matters, if we lose we'll be out of the competition

• Bloomfield skipper of course.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Chris said:
    No keeper on the bench seems an odd choice too.

Plausible deniability if we want to claim at some point in the season that we don't have a "senior" keeper to get a loanee if Allsop gets injured?

Oh no!! You've allowed @DevC in with one of his favourite topics.

'Beetlejuice, beetlejuice ..........'

• Decent side selected with an emphasis on loyalty rather than bring out the new toys.

Got to say it though. It doesn't feel right watching on the TV again. It's not real football yet.

• Dont like those yellow seats !

• I like all of our players so im hoping they are about to give gareth a selection headache

• @Glenactico said:
    You could argue the 5 attacking players (Parker, Samuel, Freeman, Blooms, Wheeler) are the second string. A bit harsh perhaps but you’d expect Ikpeazu, Horgan, Onyedinma, Thompson, (new centra midfielder) might end up being considered first choice in those positions.

I think we could see Wheeler playing a kind of 10 role, would free up the RW spot for Horgan.

• @eric_plant said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    A lot of teams are treating these games as half-friendly, though. As long as we give a good account of ourselves, the result doesn't matter.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing this already ridiculously congested season.

• Why haven't I got @bluntphil commentary? Appears I assume, I have the Brentford team, yet logged in through WWFC IFollow?

• Dont agree @chairboyscentral a good cup run is good for us financially if nothing else.

• I really don't get this result doesn't matter business.

It's game 1 of the season. A couple more games in this cup won't exactly be a disaster!

@eric_plant said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Awful stuff. Awful modern view on football. I would like us to win today

• @Wendoverman said:
    Dont agree @chairboyscentral a good cup run is good for us financially if nothing else.

I don't think there's any prize money in the League Cup until the semi-finals?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@eric_plant said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Awful stuff. Awful modern view on football. I would like us to win today

So would I, but it's no big deal if we don't.

@Glenactico said:
    You could argue the 5 attacking players (Parker, Samuel, Freeman, Blooms, Wheeler) are the second string. A bit harsh perhaps but you’d expect Ikpeazu, Horgan, Onyedinma, Thompson, (new centra midfielder) might end up being considered first choice in those positions.

I think we could see Wheeler playing a kind of 10 role, would free up the RW spot for Horgan.

Think you might have mentioned this once or twice before.
    A repackaged version of saying 'drop Bloomfield'.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Glenactico said:

Think you might have mentioned this once or twice before.
    A repackaged version of saying 'drop Bloomfield'.

Yep

• @Malone said:
    I really don't get this result doesn't matter business.

It's game 1 of the season. A couple more games in this cup won't exactly be a disaster!

Particularly if we are serious about a B team/development side?

@Wendoverman said:
    Dont agree @chairboyscentral a good cup run is good for us financially if nothing else.

I don't think there's any prize money in the League Cup until the semi-finals?

Nothing gets me buzzing more as a fan than prize money.

• Getting a result today against a fellow championship side (??) would put down a marker and breed confidence in my opinion. A win is a win.

• Very impressive so far, pressing to perfection and some nice little passing interchanges in the final third

• Dubious free kick.

Very impressive so far, pressing to perfection and some nice little passing interchanges in the final third

Sshhhh!!!!

• @micra said:
    Dubious free kick.

Was a clear foul from JJ. Referees don't give enough of those

• Hi all first post , im primarily a derby supporter but have followed wycombe for years as a second team of mine , playing well today a bit unlucky with the free kick, but brentford are a top side

• edited September 2020

Well our B team weren't doing too badly against their B team...long way to go though. Definite foul by JJ.

• The officials are awful

• Be interesting to see who you have as your main striker , uche has potential but only scored 2 in 23 games in a league no where near as hard as the championship

• @Ram_N_Chairboy said:
    Be interesting to see who you have as your main striker , uche has potential but only scored 2 in 23 games in a league no where near as hard as the championship

Fred should be our biggest goal threat

• Very pleased with that performance so far. Especially impressed with Parker.