Skip to content

Pierre on trial at Bristol City

Comments

• Spot on Vital

• yes Brentford offered a deal once they realised they had a player on there hands. I don't think I ever said he wouldn't play in the Premier League, I said he wouldn't play for England at the top level which he hasn't and probably won't while at Swansea.

• Also WDH and Muller are both not up to league 2 standard and even GA must think along those lines as he has indicated by signing Abd .

• blueh_w
    March 2015
    Im saying Alfie Mawson won't play Premier League Football but I am very happy to have him at WWFC

• I don't think Pierre will ever play Premiership, but I would be very happy if he rose through the ranks and proved me wrong.

• There seems to be some accepted wisdom on this board that every single defender at championship and Premier league clubs is some sort of ball playing wizard.
    There's plenty of cloggers around, i'd have thought pace, strength, defending ability and heading ability are the most important factors needed.

• Well said Malone. And it's precisely why Alfie Mawson's ability to play two-footed sets him apart, even at the highest level. I would put money on him playing for England in the next few years. And getting a move to a Champions League level club

Wouldn't be surprised to see Kortney Hause reach the premier league before too long either.

• I think the rumours of Mawson to Spurs are not too wide of the mark.

• Villa were one of the worst representatives of top tier of football that I have seen. Mentally they were shot and most of the Wycombe team looked worthy of a place in the Premiership.
    I still think that what holds back Pierre is his footballing brain. A top defender coasts through a game and always get themselves in the right place first (thats why Williamson looked head and shoulders above most centre halves we have had). Pierre is more reactive and that will see him found out in the Championship which is now an incredibly competitive league way different to our level.

• @bill_stickers & @eric_plant , agree, Mawson has another move in him yet. He's really accelerating through the levels, it's incredible.

Next step getting to a Tottenham or someone, then becoming a regular.

• I haven't seen any evidence that Pierre lacks a footballing brain. His decision making seems far superior to Müller who gets praised as a ball-player but has lost the ball in critical positions on a number of occasions despite limited game time.

I'd be amazed if Pierre doesn't sign for a Championship club in the next five years, and surprised if it doesn't happen this summer.

• A player with Pierre's raw ability will almost certainly improve with exposure to higher quality coaching, playing with better players etc. How good he is now isn't a hard and fast guarantee of how good he will always be, surely.

• In my opinion over the last 2 years, he's been the player I most worried about being out.
    He's such a colossus, with next to no-one in our division beating him for pace or aerial strength. Even Bayo described him as being a "strong boy" which is some praise.

There was a little campaign from some drones of "WDH should play over Pierre" last season, but that was absolutely smashed to pieces after a dreadful 4-2 battering at Luton where Pierre was benched.

• I disagree...I don't think his ball playing is poor at all. AP often brought the ball out from the back...and I've seen some decent passing from the big man. As someone else has pointed out...if there's not a blue shirt within range sometimes total football is not possible. He may not make Manchester United, but he'll be in the Championship before long I reckon. Even if he doesn't, he's got a decent career in League 1/League 2 to look forward to at the very least. Unless you've heard Gareth is going to swop him for Ruth
    @rmjlondon ?

• I don't want him back and hope he doesn't come back, Antony is the better player end of.

• @rmjlondon Well that's done it for me - I hope he stays even more now.

• @rmjlondon: I don't want him back and hope he doesn't come back, Antony is the better player end of.
    Are you George Stokes by any chance?

• Antony is the better player end of what? And what is a player end? Is it like a bell end?

• Ah Georgie Stokes.

What did you ever do in your life?

"well, i once shouted abuse at a footballer and got headbutted"

• ..."then smeared the blood all over my face to make it look worse and posted the picture on social media, a forum my friends still use to abuse AP"

wycombe fan

• Who this Antony, I wonder? He must be some player. And what is the Premiership?

• @floyd - It was cheap Tescos tomato ketchup they smeared on the mummy's boy

• Might we not start this conversation up again, please?

• Get over it richie, he WAS going to pick you up a Tesco Finest pasty that night...but he got distracted at the cashpoint.

• @micra, after your "Trevor" nonsense, i'm not sure you're in a position to be too pedantic ;)

• @micra Isn't The Premiership that competition played by men with odd shaped balls?

• My Trevor nonsense @Malone? To what do you allude, sir?

• It is indeed @Cyclops. On a par with the Notts Forest treevesty.

• *travesty

• @micra said:
    Who this Antony, I wonder? He must be some player. And what is the Premiership?

Pretty sloppy @Malone.