Skip to content

Pierre on trial at Bristol City

Comments

• I agree with your view of the prospects up front, @Glenactico . Tyson, or similar, would help. Other than that, is this not the position clubs like ours are in routinely because we are a club like ours? There's no pot of gold to bring in much better players, or more that are equally good alternatives to what's here. We just have to prepare as best we can and hope injuries and other bits of luck run our way. It's why we're essentially a L2 club, not L1 or higher.

• Same comment applies as before. If Tyson signs we will have Bayo Hayes, Kashket, PCH, Freeman, Southwell and Tyson for three spaces. How many more do you want.

Tyson/Forward and LB/LM likely to be all you get IMHO possibly with a young GK and a young CB if Rowe departs.

Feels like a mid table side to me. I see that as OK.

• I suppose @DevC your first and last paragraphs explain eachother. We've got bodies, but we're still short of a goalscorer whose going to get us into the play-offs.

• No guarantee we will or will not make the playoffs with or without another forward. that way lies financial ruin.

Given the budget constraints we have, our manager has chosen to spend it on the six we have contracted plus perhaps one other who may or may not be Tyson. I don't see likelihood as being high of two more coming in.

In terms of finishing position, obviously I hope to win the league with a record points total. In terms of expectation though, I would have it along lines of 1st to 3rd bloody amazing 4-7th massive over achievement 8th - 10th minor overachievement 11th to 16th par 17-22nd disappointing 23-24th terrible.

• Every team wants a 20 goal a season man. At our level they only come around once every 5 or 6 years. Perhaps we're due one but every club in L2 is looking and 90% wont find one.

• edited July 2017

A four man diamond type set up with Rowe, Gape, O Nien and Saunders could be on the agenda.

Bayo plus one up front.

That'd minimise the need to field Hayes and Southwell together when Paris or Kashket are injured, and we're fairly direct anyway.

I can see Tyson being the Weston replacement, and we have Rowe and Southwell to cover the Thompson/Wood exits. Any extras brought in will in my opinion be squad fill who may surprise us, the O Nien/McGinn 50-50 types

• If we don't sign anyone else, we'll definitely be seeing Hayes and Southwell start a game together this season.

• Hopefully not as a front two though

• Southwell looked sharp on Saturday playing off Bayo as per original pre injury plan last season, Saunders as playmaker with a resigned Beano as midfield enforcer with Gape and O'Nein running around. Solid back four JJ Stewart El hab Harrie, Sido as cover, experienced keeper, Scotty K and Tyson as impact subs, Matty B as midfield cover. Freeman cleaning the boots + a couple more freebies (like the Welsh kid) and a loanee or two; we will be fine

• Southwell over Kashket? Never never never.
    ps Never.

• Exciting isn't it? As those who refuse to smell the coffee sad optimists and angry frowning dogshitfootball growlers await the first ten minutes of the first game at which point they can make their predictions for the rest of the season...

• Dexter blackstock released by Rotherham....

• @DevC said:
    No guarantee we will or will not make the playoffs with or without another forward. that way lies financial ruin.

Given the budget constraints we have, our manager has chosen to spend it on the six we have contracted plus perhaps one other who may or may not be Tyson. I don't see likelihood as being high of two more coming in.

In terms of finishing position, obviously I hope to win the league with a record points total. In terms of expectation though, I would have it along lines of 1st to 3rd bloody amazing 4-7th massive over achievement 8th - 10th minor overachievement 11th to 16th par 17-22nd disappointing 23-24th terrible.

I agree with you. We can't afford multiple experienced strikers with a proven record. And it may be that PCH and Kashkett stay fit and Southwell improves. If so we could have a great season.

My main worry is that we really need a second centre forward with more pace than Bayo. Without an alternative we get stuck if he has a bad game and are really stuffed altogether if he is injured. Unless of course we are prepared to totally change the style of play, which I doubt.

I'd rather we went into next season with De Hav or Muller starting at the back and an alternative centre forward in the squad than have Pierre sign but be left totally dependent on Bayo.

• @Wwfc2015_ released from speculation....

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Southwell looked sharp on Saturday playing off Bayo as per original pre injury plan last season, Saunders as playmaker with a resigned Beano as midfield enforcer with Gape and O'Nein running around. Solid back four JJ Stewart El hab Harrie, Sido as cover, experienced keeper, Scotty K and Tyson as impact subs, Matty B as midfield cover. Freeman cleaning the boots + a couple more freebies (like the Welsh kid) and a loanee or two; we will be fine

Oh and that bloke Parish Village Hall popping up with the odd worldie

• @Glenactico "I'd rather we went into next season with De Hav or Muller starting at the back and an alternative centre forward in the squad than have Pierre sign but be left totally dependent on Bayo."

Really? Starting? I'm not as critical and devoid of hope about them as some on here but they are still very inexperienced and the few games they did play together didn't make for relaxing watching.

I've got a little more faith than you in the front 6 or 7 to be some threat, with or without Bayo.

Having said that, I do agree that another alternative would be quite useful up front and wouldn't be at all surprised to see a young, unproven striker come on loan to us for the first part of the season

• The loan market will make or break us, two or three good lowns will change the look of the squad, plus the issue of the contracts still on the table to bean and Pierre, we will see at least two players come in

• I'd be quite surprised if Bean hasn't already signed on, or has confirmed he will and some minute detail is holding it up.

Anything beyond that will be interesting, trialist gems over loanees in the short term I dare say

• One more note on AP At Bristol City. They play at Torquay tonight, a game that might involve some actual defending. They must have really not liked what they saw to not have him train another couple of days and play tonight.

Or he started another pre-arranged trial on Monday.

• @floyd. Based on what I've read on the BC site and Bristol Post, the plan had always been for AP to train with them for a week, give him the couple of games he played then talk. Given the timing of the talks it never seemed likely that he would play at Bath last night, and anything beyond that would be subject to the outcome of the discussion.

Both parties will want to get things settled for the start of the season, so an early decision was always likely. Pierre seemingly has other open offers, it is up to him to get his position sorted.

• Sure, but nothing stopping the discussions agreeing that he had little to do in either game and deserved another chance. Surely if there was even a flicker of interest from BC they'd have given him another to this evening.

• 'Flicker of interest' I'm not sure, the lad Fox (?) at left back on Saturday looked good, by Monday he was trialing at Grimsby, the window of opportunity is small pre season for those out of contract.

• My guess would be that they had seen enough in training to know that at this stage he was no better than they had already got for Championship level. He had a trial and didn't get an offer, it's not the end of his career.

He has the talent, but is not the finished article. He has to keep his head down and keep working on developing his game. I believe his time in at least the Championship will come, just not yet.

• Brentford made a huge mistake with Alfie, but not with AP sadly.
    League 1 at best Im afraid, Im sad to say distribution dave was probably his equal when it comes to passing the ball and he was terrible but he managed half a season in league 1 and now he is in the Conference.

• Seems a few questioning Pierre's distribution skills. It's been tough for him with no midfielders coming towards him for a simple pass and instead bring told to run away from him to chase the ball as it comes back. I don't think his passing is as bad as the team set up made it look.
    I would still put defending as the top need for a centre back at any level and Pierre can do that at a very high level.

• @rmjlondon - comparing Pierre with that donkey Winfield is somewhat insulting. I would recommend that you don't visit any Tescos branch when Aaron is around!

• Winfield was a good player at this level, although clearly not in Pierre's league.

@rmjlondon remind me what your opinions were of Mawson's chances of playing in the Premier League, and why we should therefore value your opinion on Aaron Pierre?

• "Brentford made a huge mistake with Alfie...."

I thought Brentford offered him a contract and he turned it down.

• Anyone remember Pierre's performance v Villa in the FA Cup season before last? Imperious against PL opposition (albeit relegation fodder at that time) but he was a man mountain at the back.

• We could say similar about the whole teams performance against Spurs, but to live in that company you need to be able to do it every week, not have a four week hangover.