Skip to content

Pierre on trial at Bristol City

TomTom
edited July 2017 in Football

Probably worth pointing out, not for assault

Comments

• Shame. The longer things went on without news the more I hoped we might hang onto him. Best of luck to him anyway; he's been an absolute rock for us.

• edited July 2017

All the best AP, thanks for the memories.

• Hard to begrudge him a move - a rock for us. BC seem to have a lot of money - they recently spend over £5m on a player, so they have lofty ambitions. Good luck to him

• I wish him well but City are a club with huge ambitions and impatient fans. It may be a leap for him as certain aspects of his game need work. Looking at their replies to the tweet the fans are. It unanimously thrilled.

• Deserves his chance, but remember at this stage only a trial. Odd that they should announce it publically though. Hard to believe that he wont find at least a lg1 club even if Bristol fell through.

• They should be. In any case I think most of the negative tweets are from particularly stupid Wycombe fans.

• At least it's not with the other club from Bristol.

• Hope we have a replacement lined up then .

• @trevor Adam El-Abd?

• edited July 2017

Hi Chairboys, City fan here.
    Tell me about Aaron as, with the greatest possible respect, I've never heard of him?
    I'm sure he's decent but we had a bit of an all consuming battle last season so didn't really have time to pay your league a lot of attention, unfortunately.
    How's the White horse by the way, had a few good pre game beers in there in the past?
    As for the ' not the other Bristol club' comment, 'orrible bas***ds they are, 'orrible! ;)
    All the best for the upcoming season and we may see you in a cup or something, we have a nice shiny new stadium for you to visit if we do meet.

• Pierre is an exceptional defender at League Two level. He's a tank of a man and composed under attacking pressure.

Not sure he'll immediately be up to scratch at Championship level, but if he works on his distribution you'll have a hell of player.

• Pierre is great and was one of the best players in our squad. His biggest asset is his pace, he's as quick as the fastest attacker and it's always fun watching opposition players try to beat him in a race and fail. I think he has a background in sprinting.

He's physically dominant, both strong and good in the air. There have been some question marks over his distribution - he's certainly not as good at passing the ball out of defence as Alfie Mawson was a couple of years ago for us, but then he's playing in the Premier League now. I have no doubt that Pierre will be a good player at at least Championship level.

Some Wycombe fans are down on him because he had a bit of a scuffle with an idiotic youth who shouted abuse at him after the game at Tesco.

• Thanks Bill. As he's under 24, I'm sure a fee would be involved and he would be given time at our place to work on any faults. It's some step up though to be fair to the lad.
    I would have thought, if we sign him that he would join our development squad (reserves in old money) as there are a fair few central defenders at our place now although we are rumoured to be losing one.
    He's being taken to Guernsey for our first pre season game and it will be interesting to see if he travels to Tenerife for our warm weather stuff (may as well stay here) as that would suggest we would sign the lad.

• Hi @Cidered . Thanks for dropping by - funnily enough, I've just been over to the Bristol city fan forum and posted on the Pierre thread!

Aaron is a house of a man, extremely strong in the air and on the ground and with good feet that mean he's very good one on one. His positioning is also very sound. His ball-playing is the weakest aspect of his game, by some margin. It's not that everything slices off his boot into row Z, but let's just say that he hasn't been hurt by our team's route one tendencies. I suspect that might be an issue in the Championship though it looks like you often play with a footballer and a stopper at the back; he has the makings of a very good stopper.

The other thing worth saying is that, despite an altercation in the street last season with a stroppy, and totally out of order, fan, he's been a good club man. On the pitch, he plays hard but doesn't winge at refs, nor play act. had the habit of touching his badge in response to chants of support and, at least for my money, gave the appearance of it meaning something.

Cheers.

• Thanks HC Blue. he sounds a bit like our Flinty then.
    All we say to Flinty is get the ball and give it to someone who knows what they're doing with it as he's prone to the 60 yard diagonal pass himself. One day he'll get it right. The 'touching the badge' would go down well at our place, or any other for that matter, as we love a siege mentality at the Gate.
    I wonder if one of our younger 'fringe' players might head your way for a season to lessen the blow? We've got a couple who look decent but aren't ready for the Championship yet, it's a great standard, but would be very good in L1 /2.
    We'll see what happens chaps.

• There would be no fee involved - he isnt a product of our youth system (not that we have one)

• There isn't a fee involved because he is not under 24.

• My apologies chaps, I read he was 23. Typical of our local press to get it wrong.

• Pierre will easily make the step up to the Championship, and while I'm hugely sad to see him go, he deserves a good move and a chance to prove himself.

• No problem, Cidered. If he signs for you, you get a quick strong in the air centre back with a good temperament. I suspect nearly all Wycombe supporters will wish him (and Bristol City) well, tinged with a little regret that he has outgrown us.

• He turned 24 in February.

• I wonder what's happened to CiderK? Hasn't posted for months.

• drcongo, don't underestimate the championship, it's really a very difficult league and quite different from L1. We're just glad we're in it but, with the number of clubs receiving parachute payments and fees being paid, it's almost a Prem 2 nowadays. I tip my hat to Burton for surviving as it's brutal at times. Unfortunately, money seems to rule so it's even harder for sides like us who have only been here a few seasons.
    All that said, it's a awesome division to be in, as long as we stay up here.

• the fact that so many 'big' clubs...Forest, Wolves, Blackburn, Leeds and now Villa have struggled to escape proves how competitive it is in The Championship. Good luck, @Cidered although it's a shame for us to lose AP and him not play...perhaps you can loan him back?

• That wouldn't surprise me Wendoverman.

• I think AP is too good for L2 but not good enough for Championship. His major asset is his pace and this gets him out of trouble when his positioning lets him down. His pace in the championship will not be exceptional. Other players that have gone up before him like Alfie and McCarthy have had better footballing brains if not the physical attributes of AP and they are thriving. City will be too much for him I fear.
    Hope to be proved wrong as he was a good servant for us.

• I think his pace is exceptional for a centre back at any level.

• I think he is a good player who, if managed right, can only get better. He was a great signing for us and I wish him well.

• Never looked too uncomfortable against any of the higher league opposition that we have drawn in the cups. That includes, (albeit a poor), Villa side and Spurs.

• @micra;

I'm still around, started a new job, moved etc, still read and digest all the posts.

I'm not to far from Bristol, so it happens.

Keep posting and COUBs..