Skip to content

Pierre on trial at Bristol City

Comments

• It's worth remembering that Pierre was offered a deal at Brentford but turned them down in favour of first team football with Wycombe. He seems to value playing time over money so unless City are offering him the game time he wants, he might reject any offer coming his way.

• Key sentence in @bluenotes' link:

"Pierre also has offers on the table from three or four other clubs so the boss can't wait too long."

I suspect we won't see Aaron back in the quarters in the near future, no matter what the Bristol City decision.

• @aloysius True, but who knows what those offers are and from whom. That number could also include our offer of a new contract as well.

Whoever is after him, they're most likely playing higher than League 2 and able to offer him more money than we can, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll take it. For example, Fleetwood were after him last season, but if they are one of these 'offers', he might not fancy swapping Buckinghamshire/London for the Fylde Coast.

Even an attractive offer from a bigger club may not suit him if he thinks he might not get much game time, whereas staying at Wycombe would give him first team football and a decent shot at getting to League One anyway.

However, I am probably just clutching at straws there and will wait with grim inevitability for MK Dons to announce their new captain...

• Ah someone who shares my views on the bleak inevitability of it all @Jonny_King

• Inevitability re MK specifically @bookertease or the inevitability that he's on his way somewhere?

• @DevC said:
    Maybe a left back who can also play LM if we want to go 442 would not be a bad option. Didn't one of the triallists v Slough play at LB.

That was apparently Andrew Fox, most recently at Stevenage (via Peterborough). He can play left back or centre back.

• At 5'11", Andrew Fox is the same height as Adam El Abd. We've had perfectly good central defenders of that height in the past; one, who impressed half a dozen years ago was a fairly senior player (both in years and experience) whose positional sense was outstanding. I think his first name was Trevor.
    One possibility (though unlikely) in the event that Andrew Fox was signed is that JJ could move forward in a 442 so that he could spend even more time in the opposition half providing those excellent crosses.

• Without knowing the merits of Andrew Fox (who I have never heard of before) I think I would prefer more of a Sam Wood of three years ago character, basically a left sided midfielder but able to play anywhere on the left, from defence to winger, as required.

• I hope he stays...but assume he will go. I think nutatruefangate soured things for him a little bit.

• Re. Andrew Fox: Unless he has had a serious injury that I am unaware of, it is difficult to imagine that a player who only made 14 appearances for Stevenage last season, three of which were in the Checkatrade, and didn't get selected in the squad at all, not even to sit on the bench, from November to the end of the season, during which time Stevenage played 31 matches, can be an adequate replacement for Aaron Pierre.

• Surely El-Abd is the replacement for pierre.

• @micra inevitable that he will move somewhere, depressingly inevitable it will be somewhere that will depress me more than the likes of Bristol City (MK, Oxford, Reading). No scientific thought or rationale only just thats how I feel (its pissing down with rain all day. I've had no football for weeks. A ton of work I should be doing instead of reading the Gasroom every five minutes and responding to our bundles of joy (you know who I mean...).

On a serious note about the inevitability of it all. He is (and should be) an ambitious, young and talented footballer. He's out of contract and therefore in the prime position and age to go out and say 'come and take a chance on me'.

Its then up to him to have faith in his ability to force his way into the first team. He should believe he is good enough to do so and not worried about not initially being a first choice CB and get the best financial deal for his future that he can. That can't possibly be at Wycombe however much I/we would like to see it.

Then, if it doesn't for some reason it doesn't work out we can welcome him back, initially on loan, into our happy family round about 29th January 2018.

• Michael Turner signs for Southend -what a great signing thar is

• I read on another site that Pierre has also had an offer to join Luton who can afford to pay him much more than we can afford.

• @bookertease I agree with you in principle, though the case of Matt Ingram might give a player pause for thought. Was it two games last season, of which none in the league? I can see why one might think that all the self-belief in the world might not be enough to force one's way in.

@robin Now that WOULD be disappointing!

• Just one note on Pierre, if he's so smothered in "offers", why is he turning out in a trial?

Do players with as much experience often have trials like this?

• edited July 2017

@micra, it's been a long day, so I might be missing some sort of in joke in your whimsy, but who on earth are you referring to? A Wycombe centre back sub 6ft called Trevor in the last 6 years?!

Have we actually had many "Perfectly good defenders" of sub 6ft in the last 20 years though? At least centrally?
    Paul McCarthy probably sneaks under it, who else that you considered good did?

Cousins? Maybe in a 3, but better at right back...

• edited July 2017

@Malone. This is purely guesswork, but if all the offers had come from League 1 & 2, then taking up the chance of a weeks trial at a Championship club would seem like a fair deal. If offers are on the table (we know of one), then given the opportunity he can afford to try for higher.

There has been no further news from Bristol City, so perhaps there is more to discuss than 'Goodbye and good luck'.

• @Uncle_T: as @DevC says, Adam El Abd is surely the intended replacement for Aaron Pierre.
    I've no knowledge of Andrew Fox's stats and they require clarification of course but, on the face of it, not encouraging.

• I just hope when Pierre does go, he at least goes to a higher division club.

We don't want a Mickey Bell scenario, where he cries "ambition", only to reside in the same division for the majority of the time

• @malone @micra Is the 'Trevor' in question Adam Hinshelwood by any chance? He seems to meet the description (other than his name) and was good despite being short for a centre back.

• @Malone. Agreed. I can't think of a good reason why he would give up a pretty much assured starting place (no guaranteed places, but he is the player to displace), at a club where he is valued and respected, to go to a club at the same level and have to start again. There is money of course, but it would have to be significantly better to make it worthwhile.

I certainly hope his sights are set higher.

• @bluenotes said:
    I can't think of a good reason why he would give up a pretty much assured starting place (no guaranteed places, but he is the player to displace), at a club where he is valued and respected, to go to a club at the same level and have to start again.

I can think of one. It hangs around outside Tesco's and pretends to be a Wycombe fan but abuses the players.

• @Chris said:
    malone micra Is the 'Trevor' in question Adam Hinshelwood by any chance? He seems to meet the description (other than his name) and was good despite being short for a centre back.

'Fraid not Chris. I thought it might have been Trevor Sinclair but the only player I've found of that name was a winger.

• No need to pursue the trialist referred to above. He played for Grimsby this evening and one of their fans has described him as shit. That's it then. Game over.

• @micra I think that lad is actually a Wycombe fan.

Re: Sinclair, might you be thinking of Frank Sinclair? Left sided defender, ex-Chelsea, who came in on loan from Lincoln for the end of our (I think) 2009 promotion season. Did a pretty good job in his short spell despite being about 37.

• Right, onlu true Wycombe fans abuse players on the street and then have their mates hound them on social media.

• Confirmed that Bristol City will NOT be offering Pierre a deal.

• Hard to know how much they could have seen of him in two games, one of which they won 11-0.