Skip to content

Pierre on trial at Bristol City

Comments

• As much as we all hoped he would stay, I think the writing was on the wall when ga signed the Egyptian..... not the kind of signing you would expect to be happy warming the bench. And never likely to displace Arron or Anthony on current form.

• Thought for a moment @Alexo was referring to you @CiderK1d! Good to hear that all is well. Just don't defect to Brizzle.

• Will need to improve his all round game to be a success in the Championship. His strength and physicality may not be enough, but hopefully City's coaches will be able to work on his weaknesses.

I actually think Stewart is the better all round defender.

• edited July 2017

Adam El-Abd hardly decent replacement just a risk basically

• I assume you've seen him play many times then Big Trev?

• Played 442 games most of them at Championship level Trevor. A lot of managers seem to have taken the "risk"!

• @mooneyman said:
    Played 442 games most of them at Championship level Trevor. A lot of managers seem to have taken the "risk"!

If he is that good why where his previous team fans happy too see the back of him.

• Oh @trevor . Half a dozen Shrewsbury fans get more value than half a dozen professional football managers. You will never be able to convince me that theory works.

• I have never seen Adam El-Abd play so will reserve judgement on whether he is a suitable match day replacement for Pierre, but why are some people so ready to dismiss him based on the comments of a few fans.

Is it not worth considering that a central defender with Championship and International experience may bring knowledge to the club, and the training ground, that will be very advantageous to the young developing players? With no disrespect to Pierre, whose own game is still developing, this brings something to the club that he cannot provide.

• D'accord @bluenotes.

• as it's been said jj was released by them and he's turned out not to bad

• "Not too bad"! Nicely understated big red.

• He's probably the best left back in the league

• Come on @trevor , we know you're a negative Nancy but surely you must know that when a player leaves a club some 'fans' see it as their duty to slate them, no matter what service they gave to the club.
    I mean, look at what this disrespectful t0sser tweeted when Woody signed for Eastleigh - there's just no need for it.

• Looking at Bristol fan forum, AP played first half of game v Guernsey today (whole team changed at half time). Sounds like was a one-way match so not much for him to do. They are playing again tomorrow, so will get another go.

• God forbid anyone read the Gasroom and believed some of the posts reflected what everyone at Wycombe thought @trevor

• you make it sound as if im moaning for no reason all our signings have been players who are past there best putting it mildly yet im supposed to be impressed or something couldn't even beat slough .

• @trevor we have signed one player who may (or may not) be past his best, but his best was a lot better than many of ours will probably reach.

It may or may not work out but for every Duberry or Gray there have been the likes of Garner or Regis.

I agree it isn't a marquee signing but we're not really in that position where we can afford to compete for players like that.

Let's see what he's like before we start moaning, yes?

• edited July 2017

Trevor above - moaning about players "past there (sic) best"
    Other thread - Trevor moaning we hadn't tried to get Mike Williamson back.

He aint the brightest fella.

• Weren't there similar complaints about signing Bayo. What a flop that turned out to be.

• mike Williamson is better than Adam El-Abd and mike players for us before would of been better to try sign him instead i don't see why he was not looked at .

• El-Abd has actually played significantly more league games than Williamson and is younger Trevor.

• Williamson has played more games at higher level too im sure he had games in the premier league with Newcastle .

• Bristol City beat Bristol Manor Farm 11-0, so I'm not sure how much Pierre has had to do in these games!

• @floyd Someone on the Bristol fan site was impressed with him today, despite not much to do.

• @trevor - Michael Duberry played even more Premier games than Williamson, but he was utter crap when he came here!

• Let's all wait and see. It's less than four weeks.

• Without knowledge of the full background circumstances of the players availability this seems like a case of bored fan pre-season speculation.

Adam El-Abd became available at the right time and fitted the bill for what GA wanted, and was willing to sign for WW. GA used his judgement and made the decision. Job done. If a manager waits to see whether somebody 'better' may become available, and may be willing to sign at wages we can afford, he can end up with nobody at all.

If Mike Williamson can still play at a higher level than League 2, get the job and command wages that are out of our reach, then good luck to him. Just because he has played for WW in the past, doesn't mean he'd be ready to come rushing back. It's possible that he may not have the wish to come back at all.

As I have never seen Adam El-Abd play, I am not in a position to judge relative the ability of the two players at this, or any other stage of their careers. I doubt that there are many WW fans in a better position than me to make that call either.

WW have signed a player with a good pedigree, lets be thankful, welcome him to the club and give him our support.

• My slight issue with el-Abd - and this is hopefully just a case of me putting two and two together and getting to five - is based upon the comments of the Shrews manager. I paraphrase, but he was quoted saying something like 'I couldn't guarantee Adam first team football so he's gone to a club that can'.

I would like to hope Gareth has offered no such guarantee, especially given the comments of some of the Shrewsbury fans on their message board when Adam was released.

If we have a motivated el-Abd who's determined to stay in shape, put the effort in on the pitch and lead by example then I'm sure he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet and will soon become a fan favourite. If, however, he has been guaranteed a place no matter how uninspiring his performances and unconditioned his physique - which is how those fans portrayed his one season with the Shrews - and that keeps out Muller, Rowe or Jombati to the detriment of the team, then I will be very disappointed.

We all know that Gareth has a stubborn streak and sticks with his high-profile signings even when better options are on the bench getting frustrated (Thompson ahead of Holloway etc). I hope that won't be the case this time, and I certainly hope that's not the 'gentleman's agreement' given to the player. The onus is on el-Abd to show us all that last season was an aberration and that he can help push us on to promotion. I'm hopeful. But proof will be in the pudding.

• edited July 2017

GA would be giving no such guarantee's to anybody, anybody who joins us needs to fight for the shirt as Thompson did over Holloway not just because of his play but because of his attitude and his team ethic.
    Holloway only tried when he felt like it, Garry however poorly he played always put a shift in.