Skip to content

New signings

Comments

• @Wwfc2015_ one swallow does not a summer make, pardon the pun, "spring/s" to mind.

Realistically, Yes I understand and agree about challenges and Mawson playing at a higher level, but would have preferred Mawson to sign for us with clause to release him if set fee reached, after we hit set the league 2 pace by a few point lol.

I am so selfish aren't I.

• As others have pointed out Cureton is still a threat and Hayes looked like a risk last season. At this level and budget the chance of getting a fantastic young striker who hits the ground running is slim...having three wily old strikers could prove useful as the season goes on.

• Sorry if this has already been posted, Interview with new signing Ryan Sellers

http://nikhilsaglani.com/sellers/

• We played a friendly against Wingate and Finchley a couple of years ago, wonder if Sellers played in that game.

• I wouldn't have thought we'd sign any more strikers on a permanent deal, with a first choice three of Hayes, Thompson and Holloway.

• Would take hoskins, mccombe, grant... Would make a big difference imo

• @chris I would. You can't survive on three strikers especially if all three play.

• I'd expect one on loan, and others to cover injuries where required. Don't forget we also have Wood who can play on the left of a three, and possibly Ephraim too.

If we do sign any more attackers, I think they are more likely to be wingers in the mould of Joel Grant.

But central defence and the midfield three is where we are looking lightest at the moment.

• Any news regarding Ephraim?

• How is everyone thinking about our current squad, I personally think that the 3 players that we have lost and the 2 we have brought in have weakened us, not starting to worry yet...hopeful GA will bring in some quality. Don't think we have a chance with Mawson and Saunders coming back

• We are stronger up front but midfield is very weak and a speedy central defender is required.

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    How is everyone thinking about our current squad, I personally think that the 3 players that we have lost and the 2 we have brought in have weakened us, not starting to worry yet...hopeful GA will bring in some quality. Don't think we have a chance with Mawson and Saunders coming back

Very difficult question, I wouldn't necessarily say we are weaker but I'm still not confident with our current squad unless midfield and a centre half are addressed. Desperately need a play maker in the form of Saunders mould and two in the form of Nico imho.

• Agreed, hopefully we will see some incoming players this week...last season we got them in early and they integrated brilliantly with the rest of the squad, I feel we need to act quickly but of course with the correct players in order for us to do this again. I still think we need 4 players in.

• At the very least we need a decent centre back, right winger and central midfielder in order to put out an 11 that can get close to what we achieved last season.

• Much as I'd like to see a right winger come in - I'm particularly keen on a return for Joel Grant - GA appears to have given up on the 4-4-2 formation in favour of a 4-3-3. Sam Wood, Paris and Fred all either came narrow in midfield or played on the edge of a tight front three for most of last season.

I don't think that formation particularly played to our strengths and blunted Fred's impact in particular, but it is what got us where we were. If GA continues this we'll have a midfield of Wood; either Bloomfield or Bean and either Kretch or Hogan.

He probably doesn't need anyone else unless Hogan moves on. In which case we could only be looking at a new central defender being brought in now, with loanees in midfield as the season progresses.

• Grant may have been earning more than we could afford but surely a wage at Wycombe is better than no wage at all, i'd have him back if he hasn't got a idea that he's better than league 2 after playing in the championship with yeovil.

• Although I respect what Bloomfield has done for us over his long service, I do feel a midfield with either Bloomers or Bean, or even both, as regulars would point to a much weakened team from that which saw us hit the top of Div 2 at Xmas.
    I see both Bloomers and Bean as decent bench players only if we really have ambition to go and win this league.
    Thoughts?

• Assuming GA plays a 4-3-3 and assuming the front three are Hayes, Holloway and Thompson, I'd say we have decent flanks for the midfield in Wood and Hogan (assuming he stays). Not much speed but decent attacking intent and creativity.

What we really need to complement those two is a Scowen type who can sit back in the centre, break up play, cover for the defence and distribute fast and accurately. Neither Bean nor Bloomfield possess all these qualities.

The one player I'd break the bank for is Craig Eastmond. He played that role brilliantly for us in 2012 and is now a free agent. I expect a more likely target is Nico Yennaris though, who I'd be happy with as well.

• I don't think Ephraim has got the fight to be part of a midfield three. But I agree that Yennaris would be a great signing. Eastmond of a few years ago would also be great, but looking at his recent record I'm not sure he's still at that level. Worth having a look at though.

• @Chris said:
    I don't think Ephraim has got the fight to be part of a midfield three. But I agree that Yennaris would be a great signing. Eastmond of a few years ago would also be great, but looking at his recent record I'm not sure he's still at that level. Worth having a look at though.

Wonder what's delaying Hogan's announcement?

• Is he waiting to see who else gets signed, perhaps? Looking for a better offer?

• @Ciderk1d Do believe he is still on holiday according to his twitter account.

• He obviously as the right to take it or leave it but he really does need to get himself sorted this season as he flattered to deceive somewhat last season. If he goes then good luck to him.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    He obviously as the right to take it or leave it but he really does need to get himself sorted this season as he flattered to deceive somewhat last season. If he goes then good luck to him.

I can only imagine the offer isn't flattering lol. Plus Wig's comments looking for what else is on offer. I take it Hogan isn't sunny it up somewhere in South America?

• Toronto, where he was on loan for a while.

• Hogan has been on holiday nearly permanently since the season ended.

• @M3G said:
    Hogan has been on holiday nearly permanently since the season ended.

And looks like Hogan is having a great time, from his tweets. Working Holiday?

If we played deck football I believe we would have got more out of Hogan. The hoof upfront and press/turn opposition don't suit alot of players. Fred was one of them.

Oh well 2 weeks till presason is among us.

• edited June 2015

the below would be where i see the gaps. starting line up for York

1) Ingram
    2) JJ
    3) Pierre
    4) GAP NEED TO BE FILLED
    5) Sido
    6) GAP NEED TO BE FILLED
    7) Wood
    8) GAP NEEDS TO BE FILLED
    9) Hayes
    10) Holloway
    11) Thomsons

Subs
    12) Lynch
    13) Sellers
    14) Bean
    15) Blooms
    16) DEFENDER - NEEDS TO BE FILLED
    17) Ephrain (if signs) otherwise WINGER - NEEDS TO BE FILLED
    18) STRIKER - NEEDS TO BE FILLED
    19) Kretz

• Hogan has been on holiday since the end of his debut appearance.