Skip to content

Players out of contract this summer

Comments

• Young's 3-year deal looks stranger and stranger

• Vokes is definitely a Southampton fan, and even mentioned wanting to score at Fratton Park on the last day.

• You can, although Gape is double asterixed with an assumption it's 2024!

• Yes, I would assume it was only for a year when he signed on again last summer. We will find out soon.

The club have recently become reluctant to give out contract lengths. It's all a bit disappointing, as with the lack of injury news. The small operational or tactical advantage it may give is completely outweighed by the resulting lack of trust and, ultimately, credibility. Lack of transparency seems to be a trend in society, particularly by public authorities, in spite of the Freedom of Information Act. Knowledge is power, and those with knowledge don't want to share it, an age old truth.

• My 6 year old son has been on a WWFC camp this week and Vokes and Freeman visited for a day.

They got to ask the players questions. My boy asked them who they support....

Nick Freeman - Arsenal

Sam Vokes - Southampton

Vokes also told my son that Gape supported Southampton, until Freeman corrected him and let slip that Gape actually supports Derby.

My 6 year old also claimed that Vokes is now fit. I thought it was a lie until my wife saw a picture of him and confirmed that he was indeed "fit".

• I get the not revealing who is injured, and not revealing fees parts for clear benefits.

But to not reveal to fans how long your own player has signed on for is utterly bizarre.

• It's all bullshit, and they should have more respect for the fans

• I tend to agreel. The typical argument is "we, the fans, pay the players' wages" - or something along those lines.

The truth is, we don't. Rob Couhig does. So like it or loathe it - that's the way the club chooses to operate, and you or I have zero say.

I do think when it comes to the likes of Thompson, who we were all so excited to see back - and then goes missing again - that we have a right to know. Not even so much out of principal, but I'm personally generally concerned for how he is!

The other reason is (and sorry for bringing my son into it again) - he's 6. He IDOLISES these guys. He asks "Daddy, Sam Vokes is my favourite player ever. Is he playing today?"............Errrrrrrrrr dunno mate. If my son wants to watch Sam Vokes and I don't know if he's fit, I'm not spending £50 for the avoidance of having to explain to my son that I genuinely don't know where Vokes is!

• I had the same evil thought myself but I think Oxford should just have enough in the tank to stay up.

• It's been often debated amongst my fellow Wanderers friends, how injury prone Forino and Tafazoli appear to be, and its the one position due to its physical nature, that you can't ease players back in. Purely incidental, I uncovered the amazing stat, that the ex Scotland and Aberdeen centre Half Willie Miller played 40 plus games in 14 consecutive seasons for the Dons.

An extraordinary feat,,for a position that involves such physical contact (especially in the 70's and 80's).

• It's physical, but you're generally the one distributing the punishment.

Imagine being a striker with a bit of a doubt, knowing you're going to be clattered all game. Or have to do flat out sprints to just toe a ball and inevitably be smashed.

The positive for Forino is he's basically a uni kid with talent, who has come into the tough world of pro football. So he'll inevitably take time to build up his strength.

Stewart had many a year where he'd miss months of the season.

Taf seems a little more worrying past 30, as it's unlikely he'll suddenly become super invincible.

• We've had two centre forwards in the last 7 years, who have offloaded far more physicality onto the opposing centre halves than they often received.

• Very reliable source. Pleased with this too. He will be a fairly important player for us next season.

• I actually think he stands to be more of an MB player than a GA player profile-wise, so it will be very interesting to see how he is utilized.

• Just have to look at Southend v us in that play off final.

Southend massive problems since, us dining out in the championship

• I know TJ is highly rated on here but I think we could get much better by bringing in fresh blood. We all have different views but I don’t see anything in him at all. He would have been one of our fringe players I would have liked to seen released.

• It’s about the salary he will be on compared to experienced pros. We can’t just throw money at every squad role. TJ will be on League 2 wages at absolute most.

• It must be really confusing for a six year old, supporting the greatest football club in the World, then hearing this rubbish

• I appreciate that @frequentstander but I still feel we could get in a league two player with better potential than TJ.

• Would that be a League 2 player scoring fairly consistently for a club not doing particularly well this season ?

• TJ comes across as a hard working, committed player a bit like Samuel but lacks any goal scoring threat. Probably on low wages so can understand why we have signed him. Disappointing though.Be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks with Bloomfield saying he has had open and honest conversations with players.

• TJ is not the striker to take us forward. If re signed as cheap fringe squad member so be it but surely not a key player if we have serious ambition?

• A few weeks ago people were getting very carried away with him.

Happy with him staying but he needs to have a major breakthrough year to be a regular.

• Get TJ playing of Vokes and the goals will come, dont think the position he has been playing suits him ,

• I really like TJ, glad we're getting him signed up. He's a good, quick, passer of the ball and can link up play really nicely. Possibly more in the mould of an in form Horgan rather than an out and out striker. He's got 5 assists this season (4 in the league, 1 in the League Cup) which is quite impressive considering he's only recently been featuring with any sort of regularity.

• If we actually played him up front he'd have a bit more threat surely?

Bloomfield seems to see him more as an attacking central mid, which I'm not sure about. But there's a reason Bloomfield is a pro manager and all of us aren't.

• I would much prefer to see TJ in an Alex Samuel style role up front as opposed to seeing Hanlan up there on his own.

Two up front is rare these days, but I’d love to see Vokes and TJ up there together in an aggressive 442. Scowen and Wing in a midfield two. McCleary and Wheeler on either side. With Chem Campbell, Horgan and KaiKai gone, as well as Wheeler & Gmac ageing, I’d imagine we sign at least two wingers.

• I don’t think Chem Campbell has gone, has he? All I know is that there was something in the press suggesting (hardly surprisingly) that Wolves would be looking to loan him out to a Championship club next season.

A Vokes/Tjay partnership might be very interesting.

Something sprang up on my Google account yesterday evening. I saw the picture of a Wycombe clad player who, to my tired old eyes, looked at first glance like Al-Hamadi. The text told me that Wycombe had signed him for next season. I knew that there had been some suggestion that we were “retaining an interest” or words to that effect so I wasn’t unduly surprised. Just very pleased. But then I realised that my eyes had been playing tricks.