Skip to content

Players out of contract this summer

Comments

• I too would look to hold onto DeBarr, Obita & McCleary. I would also keep Freeman as a squad player as opposed to first choice starter.

I am slightly conflicted over Thompson & Gape, but given their injury record & lack of games would release/loan with a view to transfer respectively.

I am of the view that Taf has pretty much already left the building given his performances over the last 3-4 games.

I would try to hold onto Willis as a back up/3rd senior CB, but don't feel Wakely has shown enough to justify an extension.

I am unsure how many of the development guys are over 21 & so count to the senior squad limit, but other than Ward & Leathers I would probably release all those over 21.

So I suspect we need a decent back up keeper, a senior CB, a LB/LWB, 2 CMs (DM & AM), a wide forward (who can play both sides if possible) & another central striker.

• Agree with pretty much all of that.

I assume Willis will be leaving given how Bloomfield hasn’t given him a go whatsoever, which upsets me because I think he’s been fantastic when he’s played.

• I thought I'd seen something somewhere suggesting he was signing on. But it can't have been anything official.

Although in fairness the "official" way seems to be sneaking a few words into a 5min interview just casually saying the player is "here next year".

• Freeman is one of the few players who can unlock things with incisive passing. But when he’s only got one target man in front of him he ain’t got a lot to unlock to. Sadly Hanlan is not sharp enough to get himself in the right place to benefit from that service so Freeman is wasted. If you had a Paul Smyth who consistently wants to run onto the ball or even a Kashket you would be fine. So I guess Freeman’s future depends on other recruitment. Either way we can’t have 4 holding midfielders and no Wing or Freeman. The formation of 5-3-1-1 is not gonna fill stadiums.

• But on the evidence of the last two Saturdays, he's the only player who can put in an accurate cross.

• I always bring this up with Freeman, but he never gets a sustained run in a position that suits him. Lewis Wing didn't really light the world on fire at first, but he was given game after game until he locked in and hit that purple patch. I think Freeman just needs someone to believe in him.

• edited May 2023

He started all nine consecutive league games through October and November and in the final four of those games we drew to Port Vale and Morecambe at home, beat rock bottom Forest Green away, but then lost to Cheltenham away. He was poor in these games and was subsequently dropped. A rational fan would probably have wanted eight or nine points out of 12 from that set of four fixtures and Freeman’s performances did not warrant being kept in the starting line up, especially as it was contributing to so many dropped points. Freeman is a half decent substitute who offers quality on the ball that our other midfielders don’t have, but he isn’t of sufficient quality off the ball to consistently start games for a top half League 1 side.

• It's been 7 or 8 years now. He can't have been unlucky or anything similar not to get longer runs than he has so far can he?

There's always a cult sort of player that people wish got more game time, who then gets more game time and is fairly standard. That current player is Freeman.

That's ok though, not everyone can be the must start star player.

• I’m pretty sure we’ll keep Freeman. To be honest, it’s even more likely with Matt in charge, looking at the way he wants to play.

We’re not short of midfield scuttlers, what we do lack is a bit of class - and Freeman offers that, particularly once the game gets a bit stretched. Some of his late cameos have been a joy.

His versatility in a small squad is also important which is probably why he’s played in 41 of our 45 matches so far this season having come back from a very serious injury.

Still plenty more to come from him.

• I accept Freeman is a bit of a lightening rod. However, even if you don't think he is the next coming of Anis Mehmeti, I don't understand why anyone would want to jettison him altogether as a squad player. Versatile, great attitude, and composed on the ball. To me keeping him as a squad player is surely the bare minimum? To anyone who might think we will never get promoted with someone like Freeman in the squad...we already did.

• All gone quiet on more players re- signing. Assume waiting until the end of season, especially for development players, with senior players, Taff, Obita , Freeman and GMac seeing if better offers materialise . Interesting times.

• I imagine the extensions already done were automatically triggered by appearances etc and there wasn't much to thrash out - that was the case for JJ.

• Came to say the same. His crossing is pinpoint almost every time - the fact that we rarely use him in a position where he can do that baffles me as we seem to play a very cross heavy game under both Gaz and Blooms but give the crossing responsibility to players whose crossing is woeful.

• I would release all of those and get new blood in. I agree with you but would add TJ and GMac to the release column.

• I think we've underestimated how much we actually miss Obita. He adds balance. If anyone on here can tell me when he's had a bad game, I will back your opinion to release him.

He's a consistent 7 out of 10 and from memory has not made a mistake leading to a goal. I think he's the only defender we have that we can put in that category.

• I can remember a hashed clearance or two which led to goals, but I agree with the overall point, especially going forward, where his delivery has improved significantly and he has that chemistry with Gmac.

• When he played RWB before his injury last season (or season before?), I think a large number of our fans were excited to see what he could offer on the wing. Has he played there ever since, or is it just Wheels who is our go to back-up for that position?

• edited May 2023

If I’m being extremely petty I’d say he had a horrendous game at home to Walsall in the FA Cup, but other than that it’s very rare. I agree with you. He’s always steady. I also agree with the other poster that he tends to link up better with McCleary.

• edited May 2023

I feel like they combined superbly for Vokes' goal v Lincoln (?) last season. I suppose they did play together for a good few years at Reading.

• Obita is a good player I would hope to retain. I am quite confident most of our present players will stay what we need is a quality Vokes standby or two an extra (left sided) centre half and another centre back. (Not much to ask is it?)

• Would be handy to get a naturally left-footed attacker in, haven't had one since Kashket left have we?

• I like Obita, just to be clear.

But there's always a bit of a thing where a player becomes better the longer out they've been.

• Freeman was very impressive playing as a right wingback in the friendly 1-0 victory against Leicester on 28/7/21. But even more so in the four League 1 matches in which he played in August that year, the last of which being the 1-0 victory (Vokes assisted by Obita) against Lincoln when he was running riot down their left flank until 15 minutes into the second half when he was ruthlessly chopped down just short of the halfway line by Liam Bridcutt and eventually stretchered off with the ACL injury that put him out for the rest of the season. I remember that many of us were hoping he might be back towards the end of the season but it wasn’t to be.

Liam Bridcutt just got a yellow card.

The results of the other three games in which Freeman excelled were:

WW 2 Accrington 1

Wigan 1 WW 1

Cheltenham 1 WW 3

I know Nick has been asked to play in various midfield positions and he’s not done badly on the left but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that his best position is right wingback. As he has implied more than once on commentary, he may not have the unbounding energy of Jason McCarthy but he sure is a better passer and crosser of the ball. Scores the odd cracking goal or two as well.

• I'm still gutted he hit the bar with that outrageous turn and shot in the JJ hat-trick Lincoln game.

• I've seen Obita bottle a couple of tackles this season, for that reason alone he is a no from me

• I asked Thompson after the game on Saturday if we'd be seeing him next season and his response was "we'll see, I'm yet to have have that conversation".

Didn't have the chance to ask Taf the same question, he was too busy apologising for his "sh*t performances" this season.

• I tried to ask Taff but by the time he turned round to answer the carpark was reopened and I had to set off for home.

Re Nick F, JMac said on the sofa interview that Nick was the only squad member who could come close to him in a marathon, so seemingly has a bigger engine than might be imagined.

• Why did we sign Jack Young!

• Why did we give Jack such a long contract?

• Why did we sign Mellor?