Skip to content

Players out of contract this summer

Comments

• And his fitness issues…

No way anyone spends £1m on Forino right now. Be surprised if the Couhigs sell him now. The timing wouldn’t be right.

• Yes, you get the idea Big Chris needs a successful, fully fit season for us. The injuries are definitely hampering his development, as he has played two half seasons instead of full seasons. If he manages 40 odd games next year he will be an absolute titan by the end of it, though.

• No need to worry, young man. My point was simply that, physically and stylistically, Tjay and Super Sam are as different as chalk and cheese.

individually, they don’t impress me much but, you never know, in partnership they might be a force to reckon with.

• Think they'd bite their hand off for £1m and a sell on fee but Ainsworth isn't stable enough there to be looking for up and coming players and will need whatever money he gets (if any) for the first team. Also I think the negativity from the fans is a massive problem there and can't see them reacting well to Ainsworth prioritising signing people he knows from here and them not immediately proving to be bargains , remember Waddock raiding Aldershot for example.

• Half the problem at QPR is that the managers apparently aren't allowed to recruit their own players. Forino will only be going to QPR if Les Ferdinand wants him.

• Forino is best staying where he is for the 23/24 season and then see where that takes him. He is a very good young centre back but he needs more games under his belt. Another season with us and then provided his progression stays on track, he will be ready to step up.

I do like big Chris and I really do think he can make it big in the game.

• Why is anyone even talking £1m for Forino? That's simply dreaming.

@ReturnToSenda do you have any figures on centre backs from the 3rd tier (or lower) going for even 500k and up?

Forino is young, but is now 23. You'd imagine the exceptions for big fee lower tier centre backs would be more your teenage starters etc.

• Ben Wilmott left Stevenage to Watford for £1.8m a few years ago. No idea where he is now.

• The chances of both of them still being there in August with that in place have to be fairly small.

• If QPR stay up, I cannot see the fans being happy with L1 players being brought in at any price. They will want the owners/manager to show ambition to return them to their rightful place at the top table. (If they offer £2 million for Forino we should take it though! 😁)

• Can QPR even spend money? Aren't they dicing with FFP issues?

• Was going to say I remember him from some tv kids programs years ago, but actually that was Gary.

• I’m sure Mcleary has another year, but I’m pretty sure, Gape, Thompson, Wing and Freeman will leave

• Two of those are thought to be in contract (though we never can tell 100% with our club).

But if we really are doing as Rob says, exploring new player leads, then we need to make some space.

• If Gape is now fit we should definitely keep him. I am not going to judge anyone on their first game back from injury. I think we need another defensively minded midfielder next to Scowen, and both Gape and Thompson are proven at this level. I think our most significant problems are creative. My priorities:

1. Someone who can beat a man and cross accurately, whilst chipping in with goals. We are not going to find another Mehmeti, but he is the best comp.

2. A creative 10 type player with a shot in him, if Wing leaves. I actually think Freeman could play this role as long as he was backed and given a run like Wing was.

3. One or two more CBs, depending on whether Taffs leaves.

4. An heir apparent to JJ at defensive LB. If we keep Obita, I would actually like to use him as a winger at times. But we need more of a dependable conventional LB as an option.

• Love Gape and Thompson but for me they both have to leave fantastic players but never fit. Poor Scowen has been asked to do so much on his own and he looks knackerd.

• Losing Wing and Freeman from an MB squad would be very disappointing unless there are even better League One midfielders prepared to join the club at the kind of wages we can afford. Gape and Thompson were excellent for several seasons but their fitness problems, unexpected as they have been for relatively young players, are a worry.

• Without any doubt we need a centre back and at least one attacking option.

• Freeman isn’t good enough for a team pushing for promotion from league one. He’s a tidy player at this level but no more than that and we need better if we have aspirations of promotion.

• edited May 2023

I think Freeman is a decent player who needs a run of games to build his confidence & get into his stride, in the absence of a better option & as cover for whoever we get in I think he is probably worth holding onto; but clearly YMMV

• Before Freeman's injury he played at wing back. He looked fantastic in that position, something I'd like to see again.

• Ideally i'd like:

A backup GK. Not Carwright or Dickinson, but someone who is able to challenge Max for the job. A young loanee is probably ideal, but let's get him here no later than mid-July. I'd keep Blunkell but send him on loan to a National League, or National League N/S team that can guarantee him 40-50 games next season.

At least one new CB, probably two regardless of what Taf decides. This can be Jordan Willis plus one.

At least one new DCM, again probably two. I don't think Wing or Thommo will stay. Gape is contracted here next season but we can't depend on him twice a week for the season.

A centre forward to challenge/play alongside/cover Sam Vokes.

By my reckoning we need at least three, maybe six senior players to come in over the summer. It'll be an interesting one.

• In pre-season friendlies? Like the Leicester game? I don’t recall this in a league fixture.

• I think he played there in the Lincoln game when he got the injury, but he doesn't justify a new deal imo.

• Freeman can stay on as a squad player, but he's never shown enough to be a regular 90min player week in week out.

Despite the cult status many gasroomers seem to put on him.

It does seem to have gone a bit quiet on the renewals though, with quite a few to confirm on still.

Thompson, Freeman, Obita, McCleary, Wakeley, Taf, De Barr for 7.

And we don't know for certain about Wing and Gape, just assume they're in deal.

• I think Tjay has done enough for another season and he is probably not on a huge amount .

• If I had it my way:

Thompson - release

Freeman - release (maybe retain if on a very low salary)

Obita - retain (but strongly consider recruiting an equally-capable player in this position)

McCleary - retain

Wakely - release

Tafazolli - release (too disruptive to our cohesion in defence with him being out all the time); Forino is the asset in resale ROI (£) so you prioritise him despite him having equally disruptive injury issues

De Barr - retain (assuming he will still be on a particularly low salary, but also need another striker brought in closer in quality to Vokes than TJ is)

Additionally, I’d test the water and see if anyone would take Gape off our hands on a free transfer. It’s for the good of his career, but that’s probably unlikely to materialise.