Skip to content

Players out of contract this summer

Comments

• I think it's undoubtedly a fair conversation to start, but there are those mitigating factors above.

• Both crosses from Obita, too? Absolutely classic centre-forward goals.

• It was the same weekend as the crazy finish at Charlton with 4 goals in added time, the final one being when the Charlton striker threw everything at the ball and ended up with him, ball and Ipswich defender all in the net together. That goal was allowed to stand, but Vokes’s ruled out. The ultimate final straw for refereeing consistency.

• Comparison with a workplace would be more if you weren't given the best tools or ingredients, or actually sent out on enough jobs, and the idea that everyone in an office gets fired if they aren't one of the best in the business every week gets bandied about incorrectly here.

• edited February 2023

You're right. Comparing to normal jobs is as daft a comparison as the guy on fb years back who kept boring on about the 5 year plan because he ran a business himself.

As if football is an industry you can guarantee results and finances.

• Vokes didn't get a pre-season and was thrust back into the team too early. Two disallowed goals in October. Regardless of the stats, it's been quite obvious we've not provided as many chances to him as we did last season.

I'm also interested in JJs contribution. For a number of seasons he created as much as anyone. He's not featured as much this year (or last) as a left back. I think we've really struggled to replace his creativeness since he's moved into a back three.

Whilst the play-offs look a tough assignment, it's not impossible. I suspect we'd need to win 4 of our 5 games this month to be in with a chance, included in that would have to be two home wins against Derby and Bolton.

I'm hoping Chem Campbell is Luke Moore/Nathan Tyson loan spell quality, rather than Luke Bolton.

• edited February 2023

Ugh, I'd just erased the memory of Luke Bolton from my mind.

• You also stated emphatically that Max and Mawson would be leaving this week so I think we can take your predictions with a pinch of salt.

• Would be near the top of the most disappointing loanees list. Bit harsh, but it's a tough industry.

• Where did I emphatically state that Max Stryjek and Alfie Mawson would be leaving this week?

Often when you make false claims such as this, you just disappear and don’t reply. Some may feel your claims can also be taken with a pinch of salt.

As a journalist, you ought to show a little more integrity by ensuring your claims are at least accurate.

• You could add Rolando Aarons to that list. He's not scored a League goal in 3 years since he left us.

It's not easy to find a young winger who is capable of being a consistent threat and defensively minded.

Hopefully Chem hits the ground running.

• While I always preferred him to Paul Smyth, who seemed to trade off one great game up north, in reality both offered less than we'd expected, for injury/fitness whatever reasons.

• I don't remember Paul Smyth having a great game other than his debut (v Bolton's kids), then he got injured in training as a result of - depending on who you believe - getting crunched by Gaz or kicking a goalpost in frustration.

• Think you went way too strong on this. I think he said he couldn't take the idea of both leaving, but was never particularly sure.

The poster who dropped Mehmeti's news before it was known suggested similar for Mawson. But later admitted it was less sure.

But the Max thing was just fans taking a loan keeper signing, talk of him "getting games" from his current manager and fearing the worst.

• I'm not sure what game it was, but it was one I didn't go to, or watch online.

Pattison is the one I remember as having a great game against Bolton's kids, albeit missing at least 4 great chances.

• so Alfie is some way off being ready....cue him playing tomorrow

• You may be right, but I have a vague recollection of him posting about us losing Mehmeti, Forino and possibly Stryek and Mawson. I can’t be bothered to go back through the thread to check on someone whose gloomy negativity is depressing. There are at least 40 clubs in the EFL who would swap places with us tomorrow.

• I always find the assist stats interesting and I do wonder what they're based on. Mehmeti is down as just 3 assists for the season, but off the top of my head I can think of 4 clear assists:

Sheffield Wednesday (for Vokes)

Portsmouth (for McCleary)

Bristol Rovers (for Wheeler)

Oxford (for Vokes)

Wouldn't be surprised if there were others also, but those are the ones I can clearly remember. Which one isn't counted as an assist and why?

• The Oxford one, and I can't work out why either - even if it took a deflection, which I don't think it did, it was going to reach Vokes anyway. I might ask about that.

• A Wolves supporting friend of mine says he's pretty decent.

• I think the key words here are 'vague' and 'I can't bothered'. Some might conclude that your intention was to mispresent what I actually wrote, simply because you didn't like what I wrote. The estimable Keith Allen used to say 'don't put down to malice what can easily be explained by incompetence,' and he is a much wiser man than I.

Since you find my gloomy negativity depressing, you could always not bother to read my contributions. Ignorance is bliss, after all.

• I also think Vokes has been a victim of JJ's dissolving quality with crosses, and our general style of play has changed a little from last season. Our delivery into the box is poor. He would bang them in with better service. He looked burnt out in the playoff final and looks as though he never really recovered in what has been a stop-start season for him.

• If we want to see some true gloomy negativity of course, the fb page is always a good source.

Talk of how we were "always" going to finish middle table, and how on earth didn't Gareth bring in a "Like for like" replacement.

Of course Gareth himself is as positive as ever! Another opponent, and another manager is doing a "great job".😀

• GMac is the next guest on ‘knowing me knowing blues.’ Is it too much to hope for an announcement that he will also be here to help with JJ’s testimonial?

• 'I'll be bringing the sausage rolls and Mrs GMac makes a fantastic rhubarb crumble...'

• Bloomfield said the other day that one or two more to be announced shortly. Hopefully GMac and Vokes followed by Max and Taff.

• I'd be surprised if Gmac wasn't here next season - he's very old/experienced for a winger. He doesn't look like he's slowing down any time soon which is excellent for us.

• Depending on his injury I reckon Vokes and his driver will stay amongst the bistros of Marlow myself.

• Sounded like they were done and just needed to be announced didn't they?

Hopefully we're not saving them for the next bad result!

• The very old comment seems a bit at odds with the rest of the sentiment here.