Skip to content

Players out of contract this summer

18910111214»

Comments

• The exciting thing for me about this offseason is that we have "good bones" - a solid spine of Max, Chris/Taffs, Scowen and Vokes, with some excellent players around them (Grimmer, Wheeler, GMac). I think it is much more feasible to build out from that spine, as it were. As long as we get some creativity in the door!

• Be good to have Obita stay with us but Wakely wouldn’t be a great loss.

• Obita is an interesting one. During the season not much love shown for the guy. Fact that we still call him by his Surname suggests indifference. Yet, as soon as it looks like he might not be around we realise how useful he is. We are a better team with him playing, GMac certainly gets more out of his involvement. Is he a wing back, is he a full back?? I hope Jordan stays.

A case if ‘you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone’.

• Is that true? I thought even the sceptics came to accept him as a fairly key starter?

He seemed to be one of the few players Gaz played every game, even the cup games, unless he had a knock,

What seemed odder to me, was the mass fretting if JJ occasionally started a game at left back, yet for the last couple of months he started pretty much every game, and no noise at all.

• JJ had a resurgent season when played as a left sided centre half, wisdom making up for loss of pace. As a left back in a 4 I would probably say his days are numbered.

• JJ had to play far more LB than anyone would have liked at the end of last season. Maybe Obita is quiet natured, doesn't seem to be called for interview much but that doesn't affect his quality.

• Left wing backs of any higher quality would be operating in a higher division. Obita is fairly decent, but not outstanding. Fortunately, that means it’s unlikely a much bigger club comes knocking on our door for him.

• Wycombe: Home to any fairly decent player who no-one in a higher division wants. We'll make you feel a million dollars.

• Obita is really good going forward, better even than as a defender. I very much hope he stays!

• He's like Mickey Bell, but without the supreme crossing ability.

Not the best left back, not the best winger, but a good mix of the dual action.

• Jordan Obita and Garath McCleary played together at Reading a few years ago and at times at Wycombe they have displayed an almost telepathic understanding in the area towards the left hand corner of the final third.

I’d be happy to see him re-sign if MB is likely to favour three at the back. Neither he (nor, for a couple of seasons, Joe Jacobson) seem ideally cut out to play at left fullback.

• edited June 2023

I asked my Reading season ticket holder pal about the pair of them, and his words were

"McCleary was wide right. Obita when actually fit was wing back left. There might have been the odd occasion McCleary played on the left but minimal".

They've had moments together for sure, but I wonder if @ReturnToSenda has any handy stats about how often the two have linked up for us on the same side.

As for a lot of McCleary's time here he was wide right, with Mehmeti and sometimes Hanlan out left.

Personally prefer McCleary right and Hanlan left, as Hanlan has shown the majority of his best work for us that side.

• edited June 2023

I know we talk a lot about bringing back previous Wycombe players (which some mock), but it suddenly made me wonder: when was the last time we didn't bring back an ex-player? I think we have brought at least one back each season for the past decade.

Do we break that mould this season, and if not, who do we bring back? I also wonder - do other clubs have anywhere near this frequency of ex-players returning?

2022-23: Mawson

2021-22: Scowen

2020-21: McCarthy

2019-20: Fred, McCarthy (loan)

2018-19: Allsop, McCarthy, Fred (loan), Ingram (loan)

2017-18: Tyson

2016-17: Cowan-Hall

2015-16: Stewart

2014-15: Hayes

2013-14: Pittman

• I think this will come to an end this summer and Matt & Recruitment team will want to pit their mark on the squad. That being said, i wonder if we'll get any Col U players in?

• John Akinde?