Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

1234568»

Comments

• @A_Worboys said:
    The Family Stand was apparently sold out yesterday. However, it was very strange to see dozens of empty seats, especially in the middle of the Family Stand. Anyone from the club got any idea why there were so many empty seats? Seems odd that season-ticket holders wouldn’t turn up in their droves? Had a clear view from the Presonus Stand.

The Presonus Stand was apparently sold out too ?

• @username123 said:

@A_Worboys said:
    The Family Stand was apparently sold out yesterday. However, it was very strange to see dozens of empty seats, especially in the middle of the Family Stand. Anyone from the club got any idea why there were so many empty seats? Seems odd that season-ticket holders wouldn’t turn up in their droves? Had a clear view from the Presonus Stand.

The Presonus Stand was apparently sold out too ?

People can buy a seat in that stand and stand by the pitch edge, so there’ll always be empty seats there.

• I’d just like to congratulate the pitch for being excellent all season

• Yes, well done pitch.

• @A_Worboys said:

Could be due to families being away as some schools are still on half term until Monday.

• I’m sure that both Moore and Bannan commented on the pitch but not in a good way. Have a listen to the interviews on their Twitter.

• @Gary said:
    I’m sure that both Moore and Bannan commented on the pitch but not in a good way. Have a listen to the interviews on their Twitter.

The ball was taking some funny bounces in the final third at the away end - as it kind of did for Ross Stewart's second goal for Sunderland, which was hitting the post at best then suddenly changed direction to roll in.

• edited April 2022

Moore is an excuse machine... on “Praise or Grumble” (BBC Sounds) he didn’t credit us with anything, he had made up his mind beforehand what he thought he would be facing, set his tactics out accordingly, and was found wanting. Yet he even described our excellently crafted goal in terms of “we stopped concentrating for one second and it let them in”. He also said their two previous games were “football matches”, as would Fleetwood be on Tuesday, but this match was “just a game of percentages”. He has also (rightly) complained about the state of the Hillsborough pitch, but it hasn’t stopped them amassing 50 of their points there.

• Taking the wind into consideration, I can agree to some extent with "percentages" comment. Wednesday are a very good side and it was certainly a tight game so the concentration lapse comment is also reasonable in my opinion as we crafted the goal out of an opportunity.

• Shouldn't single out players....but did think Mr. Forino was superb on Saturday

• @arnos_grove said:
    Spot on @deanoblue. The foul was definitely on Stocko. Had a great view of it and am really surprised it’s a post match controversy.

There may well have been a foul on Stockdale as well, but the referee has clearly given the foul against Dunkley (see where he points when he gives the decision). It was the correct decision in my opinion too, Dunkley gambled on it being viewed as 50/50 while grabbing Taff in such a way as to give him no chance of playing the ball. He did well to get his shot away so effectively to be fair!

Anyway, what a performance, what a win, what a day. This is going to be one of those weeks where I get very little done again...

• @YorkExile said:

@arnos_grove said:
    Spot on @deanoblue. The foul was definitely on Stocko. Had a great view of it and am really surprised it’s a post match controversy.

There may well have been a foul on Stockdale as well, but the referee has clearly given the foul against Dunkley (see where he points when he gives the decision). It was the correct decision in my opinion too, Dunkley gambled on it being viewed as 50/50 while grabbing Taff in such a way as to give him no chance of playing the ball. He did well to get his shot away so effectively to be fair!

Anyway, what a performance, what a win, what a day. This is going to be one of those weeks where I get very little done again...

One of those where they were both holding so we couldn't complain too much if it was given but at the same time their guy knows what he's doing and can't complain too much when it wasn't. The idea it's some kind of injustice and they lost because of our physicality is premeditated crap again, we aren't going to just move out of the way because they used to be a big club and even if we were more physical than them which doesn't really stack up the string of deluded managers doing pound shop versions of Wenger complaining about Bolton always adds to the amusement.

• I thought football was always about percentages?

Play the ball into spaces/feet/air where your player has a higher percentage of winning than the opposition.
    Shoot for goal and aim for an area where it has a higher percentage of going in than being saved.
    A higher percentage of shots on target result in a goal than shots off target.
    You'll be more likely to do better in the game if you win a higher percentage of tackles than the opposition.
    I could go on (but if you've read this far you'll get my drift).

• It's almost like losing to 'teams like Wycombe,' is so traumatic that it has to be discounted or explained away.

• edited April 2022

whatever the rights and wrongs of the disallowed goal (and as someone who tries not to moan too much at referees' decisions I'm certainly accepting that one in our favour) it was hugely amusing to see how long it took Sheff Weds' fans to realise it had been disallowed. They'd let off a smoke bomb and were still dancing around about 10 seconds later. Was wonderful to watch as they slowly realised.

On a separate note, does anyone know the number of points we've gained when starting with Horgan vs when he's been on the bench or left out completely.

I've a feeling we do better when he plays.

• @floyd said:
    It's almost like losing to 'teams like Wycombe,' is so traumatic that it has to be discounted or explained away.

Some of the entitled fans of the bigger clubs are so traumatised when they lose to ‘tinpot’ Wycombe that they have to find excuses to hide their pain. Hence the trotting out of tired old cliches and stereotypes. I saw one today from a Sunderland fan asking how we can follow a team that plays such ‘boring football.’ I pointed out that we have scored just 4 goals fewer than his club and haven’t conceded as many.

• edited April 2022

@ValleyWanderer I don’t believe our goal would have been prevented by a different level of concentration. It was a move of class - in that moment we were simply better - and my point was that a manager of a “huge” club just could not bring himself to give even a second’s congratulation to the opposition for crafting it, when it’s the difference in the overall match. Especially when the opposition is “Preconceived Tinpot Anti-football Wycombe”

@floyd yes, that’s exactly right. For example, had their ‘goal’ counted and Horgan shot wide, there wouldn’t have been one mention of the playing surface.

• So the volume is too high but the pitch is perfect?

• @LX1 said:
    So the volume is too high but the pitch is perfect?

That’s very good

• @glasshalffull said:

@floyd said:
    It's almost like losing to 'teams like Wycombe,' is so traumatic that it has to be discounted or explained away.

Some of the entitled fans of the bigger clubs are so traumatised when they lose to ‘tinpot’ Wycombe that they have to find excuses to hide their pain. Hence the trotting out of tired old cliches and stereotypes. I saw one today from a Sunderland fan asking how we can follow a team that plays such ‘boring football.’ I pointed out that we have scored just 4 goals fewer than his club and haven’t conceded as many.

Was that on the Alfie Mawson thread on their forum?
    Most fans questioning why he'd come to us.
    The realists among them suggesting that we are a better run club than them and know how to spend what money we have.

• I must admit in true tinpot style I celebrated the win as if we had won the cup.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@glasshalffull said:

@floyd said:

The realists among them suggesting that we are a better run club than them and know how to spend what money we have.

On the League One Facebook page.

• @glasshalffull said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@glasshalffull said:

@floyd said:

On the League One Facebook page.

You’re a glutton for punishment pal!