Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    One slight negative for the game yesterday was the volume of the sound system in the family stand.

I like loud music as much as the next man but it was actually painful. There were plenty of kids with fingers in their ears and it’s left me with tinnitus this morning.

This has been the case the last few games. The biggest issue I take with it is that because it ends just as the game kicks off it really emphasises how quiet Adams Park is.

• @deanoblue said:
    Great win yesterday.
    On the first Wednesday corner their guy backed into stock blocking him off. Stocko brought it to the refs attention.
    The ref was looking for it afterwards. Who should Stocko end up at the near post for such a deep corner and end up on the floor

Whilst I can’t/couldn’t see a foul on Stockdale this is clearly what it was given for. The ref was looking right at him and ready to blow from the moment the corner was taken.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    One slight negative for the game yesterday was the volume of the sound system in the family stand.

I like loud music as much as the next man but it was actually painful. There were plenty of kids with fingers in their ears and it’s left me with tinnitus this morning.

I’ve tweeted them a few times this season asking them to turn the volume down in the terrace. An hour before kick off, I just wanna chat to fellow supporters around me but you can’t because of how loud it is. Closer to kick off it’s even worse because you can’t get the atmosphere going.

• Just watched the extended highlights and Gape’s man marking of Bannan was terrific ??

• Was that the loudest AP has ever been yesterday?

• You know you're getting old when complaining at the volume of music. I never gave it a second thought walking into defeaning venues 20 years ago, but now it's the last thing I want.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Was that the loudest AP has ever been yesterday?

Still reckon it was that Wolves cup game. The whole if the Woodlands were on their feet from when the goal went in until the final whistle. Amazing scenes

Absolutely brilliant yesterday though. Felt like a really special day

• It's all about context. When I go and see Hawkwind I expect my ears to be bleeding and my hearing compromised for several days afterwards. Sadly, modern elf'n'safety at venues means that this doesn't happen nowadays.

At football matches I like to have a conversation with my son and the others who normally stand near me. Wimbledon was louder I thought.

• It was pretty loud from 3 songs to kick off. Fine with me - I thought it worked well yesterday, especially Two Tribes and the Colourbox tune that, if my terrible memory serves me correctly, used to be played as teams came out at Loakes Park for a while.

Personal preferences I guess. Can see why some wouldn’t be keen and there’s no need for it to be loud 30 mins before KO.

All in all the atmosphere was great yesterday, even the quiet bits. The tension certainly got to the Wednesday fans - they got quieter as the game went on despite their impressive numbers.

• I’m all for loud but it was actually in pain territory and I couldn’t talk to my friends around me.

I do suffer with my hearing anyway and have persistent tinnitus but I’ve not been troubled at AP by it before.

Crowd volume was great though!

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Was that the loudest AP has ever been yesterday?

I reserve judgment until I hear @ReturnToSenda ’s view on the atmosphere.

The sound system was definitely ear bleeding at times pre match but mainly due to some of the tracks not being best suited to being cranked up. Loved the Howard Jones song.

• Too loud, man. I love The Cult and that but I like talking as well. Drowned out applause as teams came out.

• The music is definitely too loud on the terrace.

For a mid-April fixture, the wind had a massive impact on the game yesterday. Both teams were forced to go long quite often and/or chose to do so. In the first half the breeze took all the momentum out of Stockdale's kicks and Vokes struggled to flick them on as a result. Second half we had the wind in our favour. Forino and Taff weren't being forced to turn around the defend balls played over their head and the former in particular did a fantastic job of stepping up aggressively to win possession from balls played into the feet of their attackers. Ultimately, one of those interceptions led to the goal.

• It was as fine up until about 2.45, then during a song it felt like someone turned the volume dial right up.

You couldn’t hear the person next to you, not the announcer on the pitch.

• Tricky one to get right, the terrace was rocking yesterday (not just down to our very welcome spanish friends) but it was notable at half time when the singing was starting up as the players came out that it was overshouted by the screaming PA and the singing stopped. With the numbers and intensity yesterday it didn't matter and it was soon back but it does hinder us for some games.
    The fixture list and the strength of the league have given games like yesterday's and Plymouth a pre-play off feel. Very hopeful for Saturday.

@PrinceOfCrowell said:
    It was as fine up until about 2.45, then during a song it felt like someone turned the volume dial right up.

You couldn’t hear the person next to you, not the announcer on the pitch.

• @Malone said:

@LX1 said:
    More chance of Fleetwood troubling Wednesday on Tuesday

You have to let this Wednesday being a club name and a day gag go

Haha sorry. The old ones really are the best though

• Have to agree that Gapes marking of Bannan was excellent. The only times that he got away was to take set pieces

• @Malone Everyone are playing Liverpool today aren't they? Everyone seems to think Derby

• Was behind the goal - thought the sound was spot on

@Lloyd2084 said:

• We had to watch the match from Vipienne yesterday due to positive covid tests. What didn't come over at all was the strength of the wind & how much of an effect it had on each half. Stockos kicks barely reached the halfway line 1st half & Vokes didn't win a single header either. Only from watching the post match interview with GA, then reading a few posts on here with references to it, did I get the reasons why the match panned out like it did. By the way, from memory Vokes won cleanly one header all game and look what happened after it!!

• Terrace dwellers have remarked previously (on here) that the tannoy is barely audible there so perhaps the eardrum shattering volume elsewhere is the result of getting it ‘spot on’ on the terrace.

• @LX1 said:
    @Malone Everyone are playing Liverpool today aren't they? Everyone seems to think Derby

Aka the least competitive derby in world football.

• @Malone said:

@LX1 said:
    @Malone Everyone are playing Liverpool today aren't they? Everyone seems to think Derby

Bayern v 1860?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@LX1 said:

Bayern v 1860?

Espanyol v Barca

• @WanderingDays said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@LX1 said:

Bayern v 1860?

Espanyol v Barca

At least they're usually in the same division as each other!

• Not sure anyone's mentioned it, but how good was Bayo when he came on at the end yesterday?

What a guy

• Agreed, though everyone was immense. Saw a new element to the shithousery playbook in added time yesterday by GMac, no not the whacking the ball into the beachdean, the deliberately going off side to give the free kick away and force a desperate hoff ball restart, time wasting b@$t@rd you know what you are!

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Agreed, though everyone was immense. Saw a new element to the shithousery playbook in added time yesterday by GMac, no not the whacking the ball into the beachdean, the deliberately going off side to give the free kick away and force a desperate hoff ball restart, time wasting b@$t@rd you know what you are!

It's an art

• From the Owls forum
    “I REALLY hope Wycombe don't make it to the play-offs, the cheating, time wasting shithouses.”

By the way this is the league one club that likes us others are not as complimentary ?

• The Family Stand was apparently sold out yesterday. However, it was very strange to see dozens of empty seats, especially in the middle of the Family Stand. Anyone from the club got any idea why there were so many empty seats? Seems odd that season-ticket holders wouldn’t turn up in their droves? Had a clear view from the Presonus Stand.