Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• This are going to be a long (at least) 7 minutes injury time

• Stupid by McCleary

• Not fond of avoiding going for a second!

• I’m completely speechless.

• YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSFKNGETINTHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!!

• What a match, what a result

• Phew!

• Job done! Famous victory. MoM got to be a defender surely.

• We need a new thread for the permutations from here on in!

Easiest one is Sheff Wed losing midweek!

Otherwise it's hoping Sunderland lose 3-0 or more to Rotherham midweek, then bettering their result last day.
    Or the same bettering of Plymouth's result.

If Rotherham did batter Sunderland, then MK pretty much can't get auto, which may well mean they put a rested line up in v Plymouth which would not be good.

• Chris Forino was outstanding

• I still think it's going to come down to us and Plymouth for sixth, although Fleetwood isn't an easy assignment for Wednesday.

• Thanks for the permutations @Malone. If )great bug if( we beat Burton does that guarantee a place in the playoffs? Getting lazy in my old age.

• edited April 2022

@floyd said:

I still think it's going to come down to us and Plymouth for sixth, although Fleetwood isn't an easy assignment for Wednesday.

Fleetwood being level on points with the bottom relegation place is definitely a huge bonus. Could do us a huge favour.

• @Malone All I know is I'm going to spend an indecent amount of time starting at the table this week.

• @micra said:
    Thanks for the permutations @Malone. If )great bug if( we beat Burton does that guarantee a place in the playoffs? Getting lazy in my old age.

If Sheffield Wednesday don't lose v Fleetwood midweek, then no, we go into the final game outside the playoffs.

Unless Sunderland lose by 3 or more goals midweek, then we'd be ahead of them on goal difference before the last game.

Realistically, we either need SW to lose midweek, then a win gets us playoffs.
    Or better Plymouth's result, if they lose or draw. Or if we both win, we'll need to get a win 2 goals better than them, as we're 2 goals behind on GD, but have scored more.

• @floyd said:
    @Malone All I know is I'm going to spend an indecent amount of time starting at the table this week.

It could barely have been set up to be a better grandstand finish.
    Maybe take the games in hand element out, but hopefully midweek helps us favourably there!

But we've all got what we wanted. Play-offs being realistic on the last day.

• @micra said:
    Thanks for the permutations @Malone. If )great bug if( we beat Burton does that guarantee a place in the playoffs? Getting lazy in my old age.

No, we still need other results to go our way even if we beat Burton. Our most realistic hope is that MK avoid defeat against Plymouth next week.

• It’s completely bonkers that we might miss out on the playoffs with 83 points.

• Nice to see Peterborough be relegated, and can't mathematically get more points than we did last season

• Shame Sunderland benefitted from an early red today, allowed them to rack up big goal difference which could be vital.

• Bizarre situation where we could get into olay-offs even if we lose at Burton - if (unlikely) Plymouth lose by a bigger margin by 2 than us - or miss out even if we win.

• @Jonny said:

@micra said:

No, we still need other results to go our way even if we beat Burton. Our most realistic hope is that MK avoid defeat against Plymouth next week.

Not if Sheff Wednesday lose on Tuesday , then If we win we’re guaranteed 6th.

• @Twizz said:
    Bizarre situation where we could get into olay-offs even if we lose at Burton - if (unlikely) Plymouth lose by a bigger margin by 2 than us - or miss out even if we win.

Ideal scenario is Sheff Wed lose to Fleetwood midweek.
    That'd be huge for us.

But we've got half a chance with the Plymouth aspect, unless MK have nothing to play for which could well happen.

• Gawd...I hate the not going for anotjer goal and getting yellows for stupid time wasting...but a familiar grinding performance and job done. Still in it...just!

• edited April 2022

The comedy moment, and it's only comedy as we got away with it, and won...
    was when a ball came in late on, Tafa ball watched and got sucked into the middle, their goon header over, then Taff gave it all the "whose man was that" routine :D

• If Wednesday draw with Fleetwood then we'll go into the final day level on points and with one worse GD (and possibly two better off on GF). AAAGH.

• @Malone said:
    If Rotherham did batter Sunderland, then MK pretty much can't get auto, which may well mean they put a rested line up in v Plymouth which would not be good.

I reckon it's crucial that MK have something to play for at Plymouth, so a draw between Sunderland and Rotherham on Tuesday is probably the best result for us.

• Super enjoyable afternoon. What a good game - well played, both teams.

Side note: these guys can come every week - they were great value.

• Fleetwood will be well up for Wednesday on Tuesday - win and they're as good as safe, GD already 15 better than Gillingham and 13 better than Morecambe.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Fleetwood will be well up for Wednesday on Tuesday - win and they're as good as safe, GD already 15 better than Gillingham and 13 better than Morecambe.

This is the one we really need to go our way.
    Just takes it purely into our hands, rather than either needing to score bucketloads or hope for a slip from others on the last day.