Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• 90 tickets left for Burton away.

1,560 sold.#BURvWYC pic.twitter.com/CQPGUxyb5U

— Wycombe Wanderers (@wwfcofficial) April 23, 2022
  • Just got mine! So 89!

• Just got back home (Stockport) and enjoying a single malt - only allowed after a win! Great performance, great atmosphere, great result, great season whatever happens next week. COYB!

• Just got back from Wimbledon. I was told we were playing Wednesday, not Saturday. What happened?

• Wow, what a game that was. All round great team performance and a fantastic atmosphere on the terrace.
    Home to find my ticket for Burton on the doormat. We have the advantage next week that Burton have absolutely nothing to play for. We go and batter them 4-0. That will surely be enough. COYB

• I propose a disco

• edited April 2022

The one mistake we absolutely cannot make is to assume we only have to turn up next week to beat Burton. We all know how competitive this league is. I expect we will prepare immaculately, as ever, but I can’t foresee a landslide, somehow.

• Indeed. But if I know Ainsworth (never met him), I know he will have everybody playing for their lives

• @Malone said:
    Missed my only non Checkatrade game of the season home game today, but did catch the second half on Wycombe tv at least...but Gape has certainly played himself into a new contract I think.

Did fear for him a little.

Having said that, at least we now have Wing coming back into the fold. He'll be needed with Hanlan joining Mehmeti (and Young) being out.

The strength in depth is really striking. Gape stepping in for Wing with no discernible drop in quality is absolutely huge at this stage of the season.

The same goes for having Forino coming in for Stewart at centre back, Wheeler coming off the bench today etc.

We haven’t ever had that sort of bench strength as far as I can remember.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Today was so good even @Wanderers82 has crawled back into his hole.

you really are a knob....grow up you weasel

• The 82 in @Wanderers82 intrigues me. Presumably someone aged around 40 or someone who’s been a Wycombe fan for 40 years. Either way, it’s disappointing that he/she would describe a gentleman in his seventies as a condescending brat and now refers to another well respected fan as a knob and a weasel. It takes all sorts, I suppose.

• Is Wing back for the next game? Regardless of the outcome, when we went through our blip...the number of people questioning GA and our tactics was beyond belief.

Where is the praise for him turning it round. The form we have shown since then is nothing short of incredible. Either way, and whatever happens next week, I am so proud of this team and what we have achieved. The fine margins in this league are even more sentiment to what we have achieved over the last few years.

The Championship was beyond our wildest dreams, deserved or not. To sustain our status as promotion challenegers and prove to people that we have earned a right to be up there with the best, is nothing short of incredible if you ask me.

Couldn't be prouder. MOW.

• @ReturnToSenda praise here, consistently since he arrived.

As I danced out of the terrace, I heard some old bastard saying we were sht and needed a new striker desperately.

Some people just aren't all there

• What a game, absolutely brilliant. I didn’t think Wednesday offered that much going forward and our defence were magnificent. They seemed to be playing a back six when we kept lumping the long pass forward for Vokes first half and he wasn’t able to win many headers. But he won the crucial header second half and what a run and pass from Horgan…brilliant.

Wednesday will feel unlucky to have the ‘goal’ disallowed. I think it was Wednesday’s second corner. The first one was pretty clean and their big lads lined up on or around the penalty spot. Then for their second corner they put loads of men in our six yard box and all the pushing and shoving started before the corner. I thought the ref is going to penalise Wednesday for this, and he did! We couldn’t work out what specific foul the ref saw but I think he didn’t like their approach to that corner.

• To be fair I thought Dunkley did well to get a shot away whilst grabbing Taf around the neck, simultaneously bear-hugging him to the ground, then continuing to wrestle whilst on the floor...

Ref perfectly positioned.

• For me, the foul was clearly by the bloke who 'scored'. Wrestled a man to the ground. Yet Wing gets sent off v Gillingham

• @LeedsBlue said:
    The one mistake we absolutely cannot make is to assume we only have to turn up next week to beat Burton. We all know how competitive this league is. I expect we will prepare immaculately, as ever, but I can’t foresee a landslide, somehow.

Yup, they only just beat Rotherham 2-0 even though nominally it was a dead rubber for them.

I honestly can’t recall the last time I saw a GA side not put a shift in - maybe we haven’t always played well, but the effort is always there - but yeah, no room for complacency.

But if anyone needs reminding of that, you only have to look at the table.

• I think it's gonna come down to goal difference between us and Plymouth (I think they'll beat MK) ?

• As a famous Wycombe journo once said when his friend professed not to like chips on his breakfast fry up..

'Just don't think about it!'

• Portsmouth to trouble Wednesday next week??

I know they have the best home record in England, blah blah, but you never know...

• More chance of Fleetwood troubling Wednesday on Tuesday

• On a slight negative, after such a great day, the behaviour of the "deputy chief Steward" (I have his name) in the Presonus todaay was a true disgrace. Goading home fans and telling them to get back in the main stand "or else" after 22 games of doing the exact same thing standing at the front harming nobody. I was incensed by first of all his decision to charge in and then the way this guy spoke to the rank and file supporter. I don't want to see him back at Adams Park, he is not welcome. I don't want to see him again unless he apologises for the way he behaved today.

• @micra said:
    The 82 in @Wanderers82 intrigues me. Presumably someone aged around 40 or someone who’s been a Wycombe fan for 40 years. Either way, it’s disappointing that he/she would describe a gentleman in his seventies as a condescending brat and now refers to another well respected fan as a knob and a weasel. It takes all sorts, I suppose.

Too cruel to suggest it's their IQ? ;)

• @LX1 said:
    More chance of Fleetwood troubling Wednesday on Tuesday

You have to let this Wednesday being a club name and a day gag go :)

• One slight negative for the game yesterday was the volume of the sound system in the family stand.

I like loud music as much as the next man but it was actually painful. There were plenty of kids with fingers in their ears and it’s left me with tinnitus this morning.

• No, it was extremely loud

• Great win yesterday.
    On the first Wednesday corner their guy backed into stock blocking him off. Stocko brought it to the refs attention.
    The ref was looking for it afterwards. Who should Stocko end up at the near post for such a deep corner and end up on the floor

• Spot on @deanoblue. The foul was definitely on Stocko. Had a great view of it and am really surprised it’s a post match controversy.