Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    Gawd...I hate the not going for anotjer goal and getting yellows for stupid time wasting...but a familiar grinding performance and job done. Still in it...just!

You’ve done well finding something to complain about today.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Fleetwood will be well up for Wednesday on Tuesday - win and they're as good as safe, GD already 15 better than Gillingham and 13 better than Morecambe.

Agree they will be well up for Wednesday on Tuesday, which means if they beat them it would make my Thursday pretty good. They’ve got Monday to work out how to do it, before our boys have a good nights rest on Friday ahead of Saturday. Have a great Sunday tomorrow everyone ??

• Also, we did go for a second goal, GMac had a an effort we’ll into stoppage time.

• @floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Gawd...I hate the not going for anotjer goal and getting yellows for stupid time wasting...but a familiar grinding performance and job done. Still in it...just!

It's Wendoverman...I assumed it was satire of some of the more moany fans?

• Nothing like coming on way after the game has finished and not having looked all day and seeing everyone's knee jerk reactions to the first half !!

• The atmosphere was fantastic today. Hopefully even RTS approves! Forino, defensively, has so much talent. If he improves his distribution, which he will, then he will go on to big things. The Spanish fans were great company and hopefully they’ll be back at AP in the not too distant future. Lastly, a number of their fans are bemoaning the referee - one fan even went as far as suggesting match fixing. Do I have my tinted glasses on because from where I was standing, he didn’t have a terrible game and actually gave decisions their way when they should have gone ours.

• Remember last Christmas when many identified we had played all the good sides away already?

Our house.

• @Gary said:
    The atmosphere was fantastic today. Hopefully even RTS approves! Forino, defensively, has so much talent. If he improves his distribution, which he will, then he will go on to big things. The Spanish fans were great company and hopefully they’ll be back at AP in the not too distant future. Lastly, a number of their fans are bemoaning the referee - one fan even went as far as suggesting match fixing. Do I have my tinted glasses on because from where I was standing, he didn’t have a terrible game and actually gave decisions their way when they should have gone ours.

I thought the atmosphere was great, but the ref fairly dire. Wanted to let it flow to be fair to him, but got a lot of decisions very wrong for both sides.

• Did something happen outside the ground with their fans after the game?

• I thought there was a healthy breeze

• Just to annoy Plymouth (who hate us anyway) - I would LOVE nothing more than to pip them to the playoffs having the same goal difference, but head to head record wins it.

• Mehmeti, Hanlan and Young all spotted in protective boots

• Hanlan as well now?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Mehmeti, Hanlan and Young all spotted in protective boots

Yep, goals from open play harder to come by without Mehmeti and Hanlan but still got Kai Kai too

• Today was so good even @Wanderers82 has crawled back into his hole.

• Spaniards in the main stand - outstanding. Come back please

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Nothing like coming on way after the game has finished and not having looked all day and seeing everyone's knee jerk reactions to the first half !!

I thought only @Wanderers82 was jerking his knees, and that was before the game had even kicked off. Everyone else seemed pretty measured.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Mehmeti, Hanlan and Young all spotted in protective boots

Hanlan on crutches too. If we make it to the playoffs, I’d be surprised to see Hanlan play any part unfortunately. Here’s hoping I’m wrong

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Spaniards in the main stand - outstanding. Come back please

They were brilliant and seemed like a really friendly bunch when I walked past them before the game. Hope there’s some footage kicking about of them singing and swinging their scarves about during the game?

• @OxfordBlue said:

@Gary said:
    The atmosphere was fantastic today. Hopefully even RTS approves! Forino, defensively, has so much talent. If he improves his distribution, which he will, then he will go on to big things. The Spanish fans were great company and hopefully they’ll be back at AP in the not too distant future. Lastly, a number of their fans are bemoaning the referee - one fan even went as far as suggesting match fixing. Do I have my tinted glasses on because from where I was standing, he didn’t have a terrible game and actually gave decisions their way when they should have gone ours.

I thought the atmosphere was great, but the ref fairly dire. Wanted to let it flow to be fair to him, but got a lot of decisions very wrong for both sides.

Maybe I was too caught up in the moment to have noticed. But he definitely wasn’t one-sided in our favour, as they describe it.

I’ll have to watch the highlights but they’re aggrieved at the disallowed goal and also a penalty shout, possibly handball?

• What a bloody brilliant day - amazing. The atmosphere in the terrace was the best I've ever heard today. Whatever happens from here we've truly had a wonderful season and the club is going places.

Forino and Taf - absolutely immense against very tricky opponents. It's incredible to believe this is Forino's first professional season.

In years to come, if you want to describe Wycombe under Ainsworth to someone show them this match. Absolutely vintage. Hang in there against strong opponents, grow into the game, dig in and manage the game out at the end.

Finally a word on Sheffield Weds. Make no mistake - they're a very good team, and at times today - especially the first half - it seemed like only time until they'd unlock our defence. I was struck during the game that in 2020 we had to beat Fleetwood and Oxford to win the playoffs. If we're going to do it this year, we're going to have to overcome infinitely stronger opposition.

• @floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:

Gawd @floyd it's okay not to enjoy a player getting a yellow for pointlessly kicking a ball away in front of the referee. Sorry I hurt your field mister...

• @Wendoverman said:

@floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:

Gawd @floyd it's okay not to enjoy a player getting a yellow for pointlessly kicking a ball away in front of the referee. Sorry I hurt your field mister...

You must have been spitting feathers at McCarthy wasting about a min managing not to get hold of a ball rolled/passed towards him 2 or 3 times in a row :D

• Got back recently from Adams Park after enjoying a couple of beers with our wonderful Spanish fans. What a great bunch and well done to Harry Gadd from our commercial team for engaging with them. Apparently they wrote to all 92 clubs but chose us because we were the only ones to reply to them in Spanish. Great win and crazy that we have 80 points and still aren’t sure of a place in the playoffs.

• Missed my only non Checkatrade game of the season home game today, but did catch the second half on Wycombe tv at least...but Gape has certainly played himself into a new contract I think.

Did fear for him a little.

Having said that, at least we now have Wing coming back into the fold. He'll be needed with Hanlan joining Mehmeti (and Young) being out.

• ps it took me a few mins to realise it was Freeman not Bloomfield on co-commentary!

• @Last_Quarter said:.
    I was struck during the game that in 2020 we had to beat Fleetwood and Oxford to win the playoffs. If we're going to do it this year, we're going to have to overcome infinitely stronger opposition.

Or Plymouth

• Their disallowed goal looked slightly harsh. Their player and Taf were holding each other, could've gone either way. One of those defenders often get, but would've felt aggrieved if it was us denied a goal for that. Handball shout may have been, but it was point blank range, you'd rarely see those given. We certainly had a few decisions go against us, although perhaps not as crucial. JJ was booked for a culmination of fouls, but the one he was eventually booked for was never a foul, he made no contact with the Wednesday player whatsoever. Something he seemed to acknowledge to JJ in an exchange they had in front of the Family Stand shortly after.

Such a big win today. I had a good feeling after we'd held out to half time. The wind was a massive factor today and I always felt we'd come back into it in the 2nd half, after Wednesday had dominated the 1st half.

• I would love there to be a "fan cam" - much like Chesterfield away. Recording priceless moments. I wanted to see how Wycombe fans compared on a noise level with others at Wimbledon away but couldn't find any compliments from the home support. I might suggest it to Pete on Twitter. Fan Cam subscriptions!

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

@floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:

You must have been spitting feathers at McCarthy wasting about a min managing not to get hold of a ball rolled/passed towards him 2 or 3 times in a row :D

I know its game management but I think we're better than some of those shenanigans would suggest but I accept it was a possibly uncharacteristic slightly negative view and could almost qualify for the @Wanderers82 Of The Match award.