Skip to content

Playing in one-off kit for Ukraine on Friday

Comments

• Thanks for the kind words @MorrisItal_ (got the right username that time). I hear what you say about the boy who couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time and I ‘get’ the implication. I had no such connections (at least not that I was aware of!) but I’ve always been clueless about practical matters, unless you include cooking which I’m decent at - solid main courses but no baking whatsoever. I spent a whole term in woodwork planing a block of wood into a smaller block of wood. But where there’s a will there’s a way and after acquiring two LS3/5a BBC monitor speakers several decades ago I did manage to install shelves on which to place them.

Is that the time. Sleep well/hope you slept well !
    Christmas Day tomorrow/today (I hope).

• Ok back to the thread....
    Loved the kit, hope it replaces the gold kit, I remember the yellow quarters one of yesteryear and liked it.
    Will likely buy this one if available.

• Not sure the blue and yellow kit would be acceptable against other basically blue kitted clubs (assuming it’s only against such clubs that we aren’t able to wear the light and blue quarters which most fans (certainly the older ones) seem closely wedded to.

Let’s hope it’s the red and white quarters today.

• @micra said:
    Not sure the blue and yellow kit would be acceptable against other basically blue kitted clubs (assuming it’s only against such clubs that we aren’t able to wear the light and blue quarters which most fans (certainly the older ones) seem closely wedded to.

Let’s hope it’s the red and white quarters today.

It is. ‘Keeper in black. Nice. Much more optimistic now!

• That means we only wore the gold kit in three league matches. Sheff Wed, Gillingham, Portsmouth. No wins. And against Hartlepool in the cup. Also no win there. Any other occasions? Hopefully we don't wear it in the playoffs if we make them

• I'll be wearing the gold kit still.
    Mainly because I didn't bother buying the home kit as it was already a season through.

Portsmouth and Gillingham probably being the only 2 games I've actually seen us play in it out of my 8 aways this season to date.
    Hopefully gets wheeled out today or at Burton.

• We wore the gold kit in both the B and B games. On the second occasion it was ridiculous because ascot wore yellow shirts and under their lights (no disrespect to Ascot) you can barely tell the difference. Have no time for that gold kit difficult to pick out players and would imagine on a cold wet foggy November night we would almost disappear. I hope it’s workable that we could have the yellow and blue quarters as one of our change kits probably with yellow shorts and yellow socks. A third kit also in quarters would be fabulous in my opinion.

• @Mr67 said:
    We wore the gold kit in both the B and B games. On the second occasion it was ridiculous because ascot wore yellow shirts and under their lights (no disrespect to Ascot) you can barely tell the difference. Have no time for that gold kit difficult to pick out players and would imagine on a cold wet foggy November night we would almost disappear. I hope it’s workable that we could have the yellow and blue quarters as one of our change kits probably with yellow shorts and yellow socks. A third kit also in quarters would be fabulous in my opinion.

"Change" kit is very much the word though isn't it.
    What scenario do we need to change from our light and dark blue quarters, yet can play in yellow and blue quarters though?

• @Malone You might wanna remind yourself of what colour Burton play in at home ;)

• We should play in the blue unless there's a clash though right? So if we can't play in the blue because of said clash, how can we then wear blue (and yellow) :)

No gold at Burton then...blue kit is is!

• Loved the Ukraine kit.

I can't see it becoming available to buy unless it was a change kit and there are only a few circumstances that when the light and dark blue quarters would clash but the yellow and blue quarters wouldn't as @Malone has pointed out.

I can think of all blue home kits where it might work - Man City, Chelsea, Everton, Coventry and maybe Tottenham?
    And maybe red and blue kits?

• How did we get away with yellow and blue quarters in the 90s?

• The "home" kit was so abysmal at the time that we wore it (the yellow and blue quarters) away from home at every opportunity regardless of whether or not there was a clash

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    How did we get away with yellow and blue quarters in the 90s?

The Smith kit was mostly light blue, whereas the yellow and blue kit was much darker. I don’t think we’d get away with it today.

• edited April 2022

Speaking of kits, how about a return to plain blue next season? We have only played in quarters for 68 years of our 135-year existence, after all... (Plus I'm far too young to have seen us in plain blue and some of those shirts look amazing.)

• Nope.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Speaking of kits, how about a return to plain blue next season? We have only played in quarters for 68 years of our 135-year existence, after all... (Plus I'm far too young to have seen us in plain blue and some of those shirts look amazing.)

Absolutely no way. There are many teams who play in plain blue but there’s only one with light and dark blue quarters. Our kit is unique in the EFL and should never be changed.

• I'd like to see it at least as an alternate home option (if we're allowed to do such a thing)

• One of your poorer trolling attempts I'd say

• Yeah, I'm not trolling

• A poor mans Adrian Durham

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, I'm not trolling

Exactly what a troll would say

• @eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, I'm not trolling

Exactly what a troll would say

You would know

• It won’t happen (and I agree that it is now so tied up with our identity it probably isn’t the right thing to do) but I would also like to see us play a season in the old light blue shirts/dark blue shorts combo

• Light and dark blue quarters in ‘our house’. Or else…..

• @micra said:
    Light and dark blue quarters in ‘our house’. Or else…..

First threatening to kill someone over Mini Cheddars, now this...

Everyone keep your wits about you.

• edited April 2022

For two decades I worshipped our plain light blue shirts. I’ve even still got the Verco late 80s replica shirt (no, of course it doesn’t still fit!) But the change to quarters was a deliberate and carefully considered decision, which happened to very neatly co-incide with our move to Adams Park, the O’Neill era and the subsequent change in status. It has since become so re-integrated with our current identity, and so much part of our USP that a move away from it now would be Cardiff-level self-harm.

A good debating point to throw out, though. Didn’t personally see it as a trolling attempt.

• Tacking on to what @glasshalffull said, we are one of the few league clubs who would be recognized by our kit alone if you removed the badges and sponsors. There are not very many at all - perhaps us, Bristol Rovers, Blackburn, Norwich, Wolves, Forest Green and a handful more.