Skip to content

Playing in one-off kit for Ukraine on Friday

Comments

• Cracking shirt innit.

• For the record, I do not disagree with @DevC, the British elites bowing and scraping for handouts and turning a blind eye to the human rights records of vile, hypocritical. oppressive Russian, Chinese and Arab potentates so they can launder their money, export their corruption, fill our public schools with their kids, fill and fund our universities, enjoy London, buying or sponsoring our sport or museums in order to enjoy the freedoms, privileges, drinking and whoring they do not allow others to enjoy in their own countries has long been disgusting to me. And that disgust started with Blair and Mandelson...with Clegg, Osborne and Cameron not far behind. At least the present shower don't bother to hide their moral vacuum.

• edited April 2022

@Wendoverman said:
    For the record, I do not disagree with @DevC, the British elites bowing and scraping for handouts and turning a blind eye to the human rights records of vile, hypocritical. oppressive Russian, Chinese and Arab potentates so they can launder their money, export their corruption, fill our public schools with their kids, fill and fund our universities, enjoy London, buying or sponsoring our sport or museums in order to enjoy the freedoms, privileges, drinking and whoring they do not allow others to enjoy in their own countries has long been disgusting to me. And that disgust started with Blair and Mandelson...with Clegg, Osborne and Cameron not far behind. At least the present shower don't bother to hide their moral vacuum.

Blair hardly invented taking dubious foreign money, whatever else he might have done.

• I think there is more transparency now but that shady deals have existed as long as we have had a government.

• Shady deals have been around since there was light and dark to create the shadows.

• edited April 2022

@StrongestTeam I know nothing is new under the political sun. David Lloyd George, etc etc It's just the 1997 'ethical foreign policy' and promise of less sleaze that actually gave way to disappointing and disastrous crusading wars for Bush and Jesus, Mandelson courting some dubious characters and then smiley Tone going on to advise vicious dictators how to look a bit better for the cameras that means my most recent disgust starts with him. I don't expect too much of our present non-doms and cultural vandals. Not sure there is more transparency...just far less shame.

• I just want to add to previous comments, this is an utterly beautiful strip.

Hats off to all concerned!

• Good re-rail there @NiceCarrots!?

• Interesting kit for a worthy cause. If we continue to ignore all the other war torn countries and the plights of their poor people at least recognising one is better than ignoring them all.

Matt Bloomfield Day has been blurred a bit though when we've been asked to wear our old Wycombe shirts and the team aren't playing in the current one.

Well done to the club for having a go though. The fireworks were just the Ukrainian aperitif it would seem.

• Do you wear a poppy in November Dev, just out of interest?

• I've never been minded to buy or wear a replica kit but this one works for me on so many levels and tugs at my heart strings.
    I fell in love with football as an 8 year old during my first week at Cippenham County Junior School. We played in yellow and blue quarters. Many years later I played for Cippenham FC, who also played in yellow and blue quarters.
    Subject to availability and quality, I may well buy this one.

• Great idea on all levels. Would make a brilliant second or third kit for next season as well we had yellow and blue quarters as one of our kits late 90s.

• Amazed so many people are taking Dev seriously here. It's just Gareth is going to Lincoln with different words.

• @Mr67 said:
    Great idea on all levels. Would make a brilliant second or third kit for next season as well we had yellow and blue quarters as one of our kits late 90s.

Isn't the blue in it a problem if we want it as an alternate kit?

• @DevC said:
    Apologies for being the Jonah here but this is a subject I feel strongly about. so here goes.
    I have every sympathy for all innocent victims of conflict and oppression. That of course extends to Ukrainians. If the club intends this as a symbol of support for all those suffering from oppression and made it clear that the proceeds will be used to support victims of all conflicts, I would be heartily in support.
    If however we are merely supporting the white skinned victims of a high profile conflict with the aggressor being our existing enemy and ignoring brown skinned victims of forgotten conflicts with the aggressor being our friends and in many cases using British made weapons, then I am more uncomfortable.
    I read the press release as being more the latter. If so I hope the club reflects and clarifies.

You can still decry what is happening in Syria and Yemen and South Sudan and Myanmar and China and Libya and Afghanistan and Belarus and North Korea point to western hypocrisy and call out Putin for the war criminal he is there is no moral conflict.
    There’s also nothing wrong in being deeply disturbed and motivated to help by a war of aggression by a kleptocracy on the same continent.
    Where do you think the proceeds from the shirt sale are going to go I’ll take a flyer and say the Red Cross.

• Bloody hell, don't let micra see the lack of grammar in that post!

• @floyd said:
    Amazed so many people are taking Dev seriously here. It's just Gareth is going to Lincoln with different words.

You'll be saying he intentionally hijacks threads and takes the unpopular view intentionally to cause havoc next!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Bloody hell, don't let micra see the lack of grammar in that post!

When I get agitated the grammar goes first.
    I also realise it’s a deliberate ploy to hijack the thread and I fell for it

• It’s a great kit and a great cause.

• edited April 2022

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Mr67 said:
    Great idea on all levels. Would make a brilliant second or third kit for next season as well we had yellow and blue quarters as one of our kits late 90s.

Isn't the blue in it a problem if we want it as an alternate kit?

I didn't remember it when someone first said it to me, but we did have a yellow and blue quarter kit once didn't we?

Didn't we? Presume we had to wheel a 3rd kit out fairly regularly?

• It was introduced by John Gregory as a way of getting us back in the quarters as the abomination of that Alan Smith kit still had a season left to run

• @eric_plant said:
    It was introduced by John Gregory as a way of getting us back in the quarters as the abomination of that Alan Smith kit still had a season left to run

I appreciate that we relate to it as "The Alan Smith" kit. I am guessing he had nothing to do with choosing it.

If I remember correctly, there was a competition for the fans to vote for next seasons' kit, and it was the "Alan Smith" kit that won!!

Unless the vote was rigged by Mr Smith, we only have ourselves to blame!

FYI - all I can remember is voting for one that had white shorts....

• This is quite funny by the way...

"The gold Wycombe Wanderers 21-22 away kit was voted the worst kit of July 2021, with 505 of the 2226 votes (22.7%). Thanks to all who voted"

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/08/atletico-inter-or-another-team-july.html

• @thecatwwfc said:

@eric_plant said:
    It was introduced by John Gregory as a way of getting us back in the quarters as the abomination of that Alan Smith kit still had a season left to run

I appreciate that we relate to it as "The Alan Smith" kit. I am guessing he had nothing to do with choosing it.

If I remember correctly, there was a competition for the fans to vote for next seasons' kit, and it was the "Alan Smith" kit that won!!

That kit will always go down as the Smith kit. Associating rubbish with rubbish really.

I always get shouted down for saying it, but the "other" kit that was to be voted on kept the proper quarters. Yes it had some fussy white and red on, but the kit that was picked didn't look any better on paper than it turned out being!

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@eric_plant said:

That kit will always go down as the Smith kit. Associating rubbish with rubbish really.

I always get shouted down for saying it, but the "other" kit that was to be voted on kept the proper quarters. Yes it had some fussy white and red on, but the kit that was picked didn't look any better on paper than it turned out being!

Does anyone have the vote to hand? Would be interesting to jog my memory on what the other ones were!

• edited April 2022

@thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@eric_plant said:

Does anyone have the vote to hand? Would be interesting to jog my memory on what the other ones were!

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/gas/archive/SHIRTS.HTM

• I think whoever created those mocks up was clearly trying to lead the fans to vote the way they did.

The first one actually looks half finished doesn't it. Whereas I reckon in the flesh would have looked pretty ok.

• 90s yellow and blue shirt for sale here

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    90s yellow and blue shirt for sale here

Same link as before?