Skip to content

Playing in one-off kit for Ukraine on Friday

Comments

• Holy crap it’s even worse than what we got.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@eric_plant said:
    It was introduced by John Gregory as a way of getting us back in the quarters as the abomination of that Alan Smith kit still had a season left to run

I appreciate that we relate to it as "The Alan Smith" kit. I am guessing he had nothing to do with choosing it.

If I remember correctly, there was a competition for the fans to vote for next seasons' kit, and it was the "Alan Smith" kit that won!!

Unless the vote was rigged by Mr Smith, we only have ourselves to blame!

FYI - all I can remember is voting for one that had white shorts....

That kit will always go down as the Smith kit. Associating rubbish with rubbish really.

I always get shouted down for saying it, but the "other" kit that was to be voted on kept the proper quarters. Yes it had some fussy white and red on, but the kit that was picked didn't look any better on paper than it turned out being!

Does anyone have the vote to hand? Would be interesting to jog my memory on what the other ones were!

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/gas/archive/SHIRTS.HTM

Oh wow! Thanks. That brings back some memories. I definitely voted for the "other" one and remember being really excited as a kid.

Looking back now, what were the club thinking?!? My son can draw better than that with his foot! Surely Microsoft Paint was out at least?

• @Malone said:
    I think whoever created those mocks up was clearly trying to lead the fans to vote the way they did.

The first one actually looks half finished doesn't it. Whereas I reckon in the flesh would have looked pretty ok.

The worst thing about it was....the shirt that won was made even more awful with that vicar like collar.https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.footballkitarchive.com/wycombe-wanderers-1996-97-home-kit/&psig=AOvVaw2BMYukwq0xy4sau-pnFXi0&ust=1650053318600000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCIC4peGtlPcCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAQ

• edited April 2022

It's just such a monstrosity it's not even funny.

I'm sure in the summer when we're all gagging for footy chat we could put together a decent list of Smith's "crimes" when managing us.
    Even if the kit actually being his decision is debatable itself.

• It was definitely suggested that he wanted to introduce some red to it to mimic Crystal Palace

• I'd love to buy a shirt that we wore today it looks superb and all in a good cause.

• @robin said:
    I'd love to buy a shirt that we wore today it looks superb and all in a good cause.

So would I.

• @mooneyman said:

@robin said:
    I'd love to buy a shirt that we wore today it looks superb and all in a good cause.

So would I.

Save your funds for the crisps/cheddars amigo.

• Certainly looked good in the flesh.
    Maybe they could adopt it as a 3rd kit, assuming the red and white isn't only on its first year, like the gold is?

• We were given a Hobson’s choice of two Awful kits by Smith and we voted for the least worst. The other one looked like the colour had run in the wash.

• @Malone said:
    Certainly looked good in the flesh.
    Maybe they could adopt it as a 3rd kit, assuming the red and white isn't only on its first year, like the gold is?

Bit tricky when we're changing kit supplier...

• I loved the kit for today, supporting Ukraine. Don’t want to see it again though, colours felt to close to PNL for my liking.

• Loved the kit and the gesture.Hope we will be able to buy the kit?

• @username123 said:
    I loved the kit for today, supporting Ukraine. Don’t want to see it again though, colours felt to close to PNL for my liking.

I was thinking Shrewsbury. JJ must have felt like he was in a time warp!

• @Shev said:

@username123 said:
    I loved the kit for today, supporting Ukraine. Don’t want to see it again though, colours felt to close to PNL for my liking.

I was thinking Shrewsbury. JJ must have felt like he was in a time warp!

?. I can’t see it becoming an away kit next season as it’s too close to a blue home kit and the wet beach away kit, but could see it returning when the wet beech has been washed away into the sea.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Loved the kit and the gesture.Hope we will be able to buy the kit?

They mentioned an auction. So you can probably get hold of one if you put a bid in.
    Wonder what sort of figure it'd take, probably £200 upwards?

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Bloody hell, don't let micra see the lack of grammar in that post!

When I get agitated the grammar goes first.
    I also realise it’s a deliberate ploy to hijack the thread and I fell for it

I’d say it was the almost complete lack of punctuation. Couldn’t see any grammatical errors.

• Loved the kit. Hope to see the boys wearing it again, regardless of the tragic goings on in Ukraine. Hope plenty is raised to support humanitarian efforts.

• 14% battery. Night all.

• @micra said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Bloody hell, don't let micra see the lack of grammar in that post!

When I get agitated the grammar goes first.
    I also realise it’s a deliberate ploy to hijack the thread and I fell for it

I’d say it was the almost complete lack of punctuation. Couldn’t see any grammatical errors.

I apologise for my lack of punctuation it’s not a conversation I enjoyed posting on but felt compelled to do so, I said my piece and didn’t hang round to proofread it.
    I’m still pretty annoyed however with the poster it’s one thing to attempt to highjack a discussion thread of a lower league football club but using the misery of millions feels pretty low to me. I’m also annoyed with myself for falling for something so obvious.
    Finally @micra another explanation is that i am part of the discarded waste from the grammar school system and thus have only enough education to operate light machinery.

• Crikey, @Morris_Ital you sound a bit bitter. I thought it was a very good post, didn’t spot any grammatical errors (and, frankly, wouldn’t have been looking for any until I read @ReturnToSenda’s post). Looked back at it last night and the only aspect that caught my eye was the kind of lack of punctuation that features in many a legal document. Don’t do yourself down.

• @micra said:
    Crikey, @Morris_Ital you sound a bit bitter. I thought it was a very good post, didn’t spot any grammatical errors (and, frankly, wouldn’t have been looking for any until I read @ReturnToSenda’s post). Looked back at it last night and the only aspect that caught my eye was the kind of lack of punctuation that features in many a legal document. Don’t do yourself down.

Not bitter at all @micra Ironically just enough education to operate light machinery pays a premium in a society full of marketing analysts and IT consultants fortunately I picked the right light machinery.
    I do however have very little time for the grammar school system one of my primary school friends was the son of a local secondary school head, he was a nice lad but couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time and was in remedial classes for pretty much everything after he “passed” his 11plus and I didn’t I started to have my suspicions subsequently they have been proved right.
    Mmm maybe I am a little bitter never mind now I live amongst the middle classes and can plot their downfall.
    None of this is directed at you @micra you are one of my favourite posters here, keep up the good work in defence of all that is good and grammatically correct huzzah.

• @Morris_Ital The grammar school system is brilliant...if you're part of it.
    I can see how it's not the best if you're not though.

• The grammar school system is morally indefensible

• And by the way, everyone is a part of it (the grammar school system) whether you go to one or not. The clue is in the word "system"

• Either you have it everywhere or you don't have it at all, but I wish I hadn't gone to one in any case

• 83.4% of everything that is wrong with this country (specifically England in this context) is directly attributable to the Grammar and Public (is there a more inappropriate use of a word on the language?) School system.

Come the revolution….