Skip to content

Playing in one-off kit for Ukraine on Friday

Comments

• That is, on every every level, sensational.

• Absolutely brilliant

Really proud of them for doing this

• Awesome! New change kit anyone? I would happily pay a lot more for that top as well, with proceeds going to Ukraine if it was on sale...

• edited April 2022

It is very nice, a brighter version of what we had in the mid-90s (maybe earlier?)

• That's a great kit!

• That's absolutely fantastic!

• Wonderful scenes.

• Fantastic!

• Love it!!!!!!!

• edited April 2022

Are We due a new change kit from next season?

Let this be it if so.

• Lovely kit, wonderful gesture, fantastic cause.

Equally... I'm very superstitious. A one-off kit for a massive (must win?) game. I'm nervous.

• @Commoner said:
    Awesome! New change kit anyone? I would happily pay a lot more for that top as well, with proceeds going to Ukraine if it was on sale...

The club website say -

Wycombe Wanderers will wear a special blue and yellow quartered strip against Plymouth Argyle on Good Friday, in solidarity with the victims of the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, with the shirts to be signed and auctioned off to raise funds for associated charitable causes.

The club have received special permission from the EFL to wear the one-off kit, supplied by O’Neills, for the League 1 fixture at Adams Park, which kicks off at 3pm.

Chairman Rob Couhig said: “While we all get caught up in the excitement and drama of a promotion race, we have to keep in mind that some things are more important than football and we all have a duty to do what we can for those who are in times of need.

“We are grateful to O’Neills for working with us and getting the kits to us as quickly as possible, to enable us to wear them at a prestigious fixture in the League 1 promotion race, and then make them available for fans to buy with the proceeds going to help the victims of the terrible conflict in Ukraine.”

• @TheDancingYak said:

Let this be it if so.

Home kit changes next year.

• @Malone said:

@TheDancingYak said:

Let this be it if so.

Home kit changes next year.

Praying for Hummel...

• Hummel or - wildcard pick - Hope & Glory ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Hummel or - wildcard pick - Hope & Glory ?

Looks half decent - bit Sunday League.
    Hummel kits are hands down the best. This Coventry kit was blinding
    https://www.footballkitarchive.com/coventry-city-2019-20-home-kit/

Could incorporate that design with our colours

• I know exactly which one that is without opening the link and I've had exactly the same thought! Kelme are also very good - and Spanish, maybe we'll choose our supplier to fit with the Worldwide Phenomenon!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I know exactly which one that is without opening the link and I've had exactly the same thought! Kelme are also very good - and Spanish, maybe we'll choose our supplier to fit with the Worldwide Phenomenon!

Joma were Spanish weren't the? Pretty pony kits on the whole.
    Kappa were quite good.

Your comments have got New Balance or Under Armour written all over them.

• @Twizz said:

@Commoner said:
    Awesome! New change kit anyone? I would happily pay a lot more for that top as well, with proceeds going to Ukraine if it was on sale...

The club website say -

Wycombe Wanderers will wear a special blue and yellow quartered strip against Plymouth Argyle on Good Friday, in solidarity with the victims of the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, with the shirts to be signed and auctioned off to raise funds for associated charitable causes.

The club have received special permission from the EFL to wear the one-off kit, supplied by O’Neills, for the League 1 fixture at Adams Park, which kicks off at 3pm.

Chairman Rob Couhig said: “While we all get caught up in the excitement and drama of a promotion race, we have to keep in mind that some things are more important than football and we all have a duty to do what we can for those who are in times of need.

“We are grateful to O’Neills for working with us and getting the kits to us as quickly as possible, to enable us to wear them at a prestigious fixture in the League 1 promotion race, and then make them available for fans to buy with the proceeds going to help the victims of the terrible conflict in Ukraine.”

Brilliant, thanks!

• edited April 2022

@thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I know exactly which one that is without opening the link and I've had exactly the same thought! Kelme are also very good - and Spanish, maybe we'll choose our supplier to fit with the Worldwide Phenomenon!

Joma were Spanish weren't the? Pretty pony kits on the whole.
    Kappa were quite good.

Your comments have got New Balance or Under Armour written all over them.

Yeah, Joma seem to have gone out of the English game. Kappa ruin any chance of a good kit by slapping their logo on it a gazillion times over, plus I think the sizing is even worse than O'Neills!

New Balance have done some alright ones - I have a Dynamo Kyiv shirt of theirs - not sure Under Armour have done anyone (at least over here) other than Spurs and Southampton a little while back?

• Apologies for being the Jonah here but this is a subject I feel strongly about. so here goes.
    I have every sympathy for all innocent victims of conflict and oppression. That of course extends to Ukrainians. If the club intends this as a symbol of support for all those suffering from oppression and made it clear that the proceeds will be used to support victims of all conflicts, I would be heartily in support.
    If however we are merely supporting the white skinned victims of a high profile conflict with the aggressor being our existing enemy and ignoring brown skinned victims of forgotten conflicts with the aggressor being our friends and in many cases using British made weapons, then I am more uncomfortable.
    I read the press release as being more the latter. If so I hope the club reflects and clarifies.

• @devc I definitely have some sympathy with that viewpoint. It is strange how many people in the UK seem to have more sympathy for Ukrainians than, say, Syrians.

However, the gesture from the club is a wholly positive one and we are in danger of letting perfect be the enemy of the good.

I’m all for encouraging more support for others suffering around the world, but I don’t think this will be achieved by not encouraging support for Ukrainians.

• @DevC very disturbing

• Whilst any loss of life cannot be separated to being any more or less important to another...this "conflict" is barbaric and unprovoked, so holds a little more "close to home" value.

• edited April 2022

@DevC I agree about the forgotten conflicts (Palestine, Yemen -over the course of the conflict there our "friends" Saudi Arabia have dropped in £ms of bombs made in the UK & US at huge cost to life, Syria, Somalia etc. etc.)

I do applaud the club for this gesture but like DevC & perhaps others think we should be taking a much wider view of conflict in the world and our (UK/EU/NATO) role in it.

Sadly there are no good guys in wars, despite what the media & Hollywood would like us to believe, just less bad ones; the difference is often that the victors get to write the history...

• Putin is a vicious and powerful dictator who has courted the greedy throughout Europe and believing them to be so under his thumb is now threatening the peace of Europe. Making sure he gets pushed back, his forces humiliated and economically punished for this aggressive action will be a good thing for everyone. The appalling and possibly racist state of our immigration and asylum system and our inept foreign policy is another issue but a war on our doorstep is far more pressing at the moment I feel. Not sure about the effectiveness of the gesture but I welcome it. As usual other opinions are available.

• I really hope the club do a limited run of these, we'd raise loads

• I agree with @Chris. But also the club would likely get fined for any public display of solidarity with brown war victims. On the other hand, that makes me wish more that we would.

• On every level this is an amazing initiative. Well done everyone involved. So proud of my club.
    Oh, and it just happens to be a great looking kit.
    Does it come with yellow or blue shorts by the way?